PDA

View Full Version : Leigh jig scales

lesmeyer
22nd June 2008, 07:53 PM
Hi,
just checking to see if I am the only one who has made this mistake. When I first set up the D4R I was getting perfect joints and the boards were always in alignment. Along came the VRS with new arms for the scales so that the VRS can be accommodated. (This is not required for the new super jigs).
Yours truly did not reset the scales and guess what - the boards were out of alignment by up to 2mm. This puzzled me,:? and had me thinking when I then noticed that when tightening the scales, the fingers moved toward whichever scale is tightened last. The reason is of course the difference in the arms that came with the VRS. Loosening the grub screw on the scales and setting as per the manual and all is good again.
Now maybe I am the only one who did not reset the scales immediately after fitting the VRS. But I hope that this will just provide all those who have the D4R to not make the same mistake I have when fitting the VRS.
Speaking about the VRS. It does collect about 70-80% of the shavings and dust. This is using the Festool CT22E vacuum. The ability to rest the router is also a good feature.
Regards
Les

Scally
22nd June 2008, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I just bought one but haven't done any dovetails yet.

I guess I need to follow their instructions.

The router is the dirtiest machine in the shed now. Pleased to hear the VRS does a good job.

Burnsy
22nd June 2008, 10:15 PM
Speaking about the VRS. It does collect about 70-80% of the shavings and dust. This is using the Festool CT22E vacuum. The ability to rest the router is also a good feature.
Regards
Les

That's good to hear, a VRS for my super 18 is on the "I hope they are on special at the woodshow list":rolleyes:

Billy Bignutz
7th September 2008, 02:49 AM
Thanks mate. Just bought and installed the VRS and had forgotten to reset the scales on the D4R - very timely advice

Bill

Bodgia
14th September 2008, 07:06 PM
You know, I read this post back in June and thought "I'll have to remember that if I buy a VRS" - I then promptly forgot all about it:doh:. I bought a VRS about a month ago and couldn't figure out why things didn't line up any more. Thanks for the tip Les, much appreciated.