I noticed an ad on eBay for 3 metres of
stainless steel, 8mm wide for making your
own clamps. It comes with fittings to
make up 6 clamps - size of your choice.

Has anyone had experience of perhaps using
such clamps for holding rough bowl shapes
during the drying period? If successful they
may assist in retaining shapes for placing
back into the chuck when doing final work.

They are the types used for hoses etc.

Allan

You can't teach an old mouse new clicks.

Harry72
22nd June 2008, 09:35 PM
IMHO youd be better off inserting a X shape scrap of wood shaped to the inside of the bowl.

joe greiner
22nd June 2008, 11:36 PM
I'm not so sure that either method would be advantageous, because it'd lock in stresses demanding to be relieved. Better, I think, to estimate the amount of warping, and allow for it between rough and final turning. The ten percent wall thickness to diameter rule of thumb is as good as any.

Joe

rsser
23rd June 2008, 06:33 AM
Haven't measured any but roughed out bowls seem to me to narrow rather than expand.

You could try clamping the inside across the grain at the risk of cracking.

hughie
23rd June 2008, 08:47 AM
I have heard a few guys in the US rough out the bowl and then put small block in side the rough out to counter-act the warp.

This would depend on how much the timber is likely to move, as Joe has mentioned. If the timber is the type to move a great deal I suspect it would split the bowl open.

So its horses for courses, some clamping or blocking would help to prevent the extreme warping, but thats about as far you probably can go.

TTIT
23rd June 2008, 08:56 AM
Can't see that type of clamp helping you Allan - the very nature of the clamp is it's flexibility so it will move with the wood and the drying process is all about shrinkage so it would have to be retightened daily. That's my 2 bobs worth but if you try it and it helps that's all good too :;

Allan at Wallan
23rd June 2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks fellas.

It is not something I have tried but thought
it may have been some sort of a solution to
the problem.

Thanks.

Allan

You can't teach an old mouse new clicks.

oldiephred
23rd June 2008, 10:48 AM
Being from an area where cold is all too common I know that when water freezes in a container ,ssomething is going to break, no way to hold it. The same appears to apply to wood, if it is going to warp than there is no way to hold it. You might hold it for awhile but when the restraint is removed it's going to move. I expect the cross pieces stop those four points from moving but somewhere that it is not restrained will simply move more.
So, you ask, what in hell does freezing water have to do with anything??
Not much , just trying to make something simple a lot more complex than it is.:?:q

OGYT
24th June 2008, 04:55 AM
There's a turner here in the upover that puts a small pipe/bar type clamp across the roughed out bowls at the end grain locations... to keep it from warping outward... he said it works pretty well... IIRC. It's been a while ago...