PDA

View Full Version : Tornado Alley finally got me some free wood.

OGYT
24th June 2008, 04:39 AM
Well... after all the weather we've had here, the tornado finally came close enough to cause me some problems. Some firefighters got pics of it on the ground North of town, but it must have sucked back into the cloud before it passed through town. But the hail was between 1" dia and 2.5", and was a foot deep on my front porch.
Took out three windows on the N and E side of my house, lost two airconditioners...pulverized our travel trailer, even though it was in a carport.... golf-ball sized hail got me in the forehead while standing in my living room... horizontally, through the window. Lifted the tin on the roof of my shop in a couple of places, and rained on my lathe... rust began immediately on the latheways.
Took a few days to get the electricity and phone lines back in.
But.... something good came of it. :D I got a Walnut tree from in front of the sheriff's office at the courthouse. The inside of it looks exactly like the almond tree pictures that RBTCO posted. I'll try to get some pics posted of it later.
Ahhh... it's good to be alive in Childress, TX.!!!!:2tsup:

Tankstand
24th June 2008, 07:34 AM
Glad you made it through relatively unscathed!

Good score with the tree! Every cloud has a silver lining as they say.

Rum Pig
24th June 2008, 08:44 AM
Glad to here you are ok but getting hit in the head with a golf ball size hail is not what I would think as fun:rolleyes:. We get hail in Darwin every now and then but melts before it hits the ground:D.It is always good to get something good out of a disaster like free wood that you can turn and maybe do something nice like give it people that were effected really bad buy the tornado:rolleyes:. were ever the turned items end up they will have a good story to tell. You must send pics

TTIT
24th June 2008, 09:02 AM
Sounds like you're lucky you've still got a house!!! Good to know you came through OK.
??? Will they insure you guy's living in those tornado prone areas???

wheelinround
24th June 2008, 09:21 AM
Glad all is well with yourself

Hope the Sheriff doesn't mind the sound of chainsaws :2tsup:

artme
24th June 2008, 02:18 PM
Bad luck in one way Ogyt but from what we see on tele over here you are also extremely luck.

Hope it doesn't take too long or cost too much to get back to square one.

lubbing5cherubs
24th June 2008, 06:23 PM
Hope you get your gear fixed quickly. And you get get lathe fixed
bye Toni

hughie
24th June 2008, 07:49 PM
Ahhh... it's good to be alive in Childress, TX.!!!!:2tsup:
[/QUOTE]

the emphasis being "alive" :U

Its ill wind that blows nobody any good

BernieP
24th June 2008, 07:56 PM
G'Day Al

Sorry to hear of the damage caused, but glad to hear you came through ok.

Cheers
bernie

Koala-Man
24th June 2008, 09:08 PM
Glad all is well with yourself

Hope the Sheriff doesn't mind the sound of chainsaws :2tsup:

Come on Wheelin - this is Texas we're talking about. The sheriff'll probably think it's just another massacre.

Gaz.

joe greiner
24th June 2008, 10:23 PM
Good to see your sense of humour came through in fine condition, Al. Best wishes.

Joe

orraloon
24th June 2008, 11:22 PM
Glad you got through more or less intact. And the wood is natures way of making it up to you.

Hardenfast
25th June 2008, 08:59 PM
Boy, you guys are really getting hammered over there Al. Floods, tornados, heat waves. You should come & spend some time in the lucky country, although come to think of it, we get all that stuff here too - including the golf ball sized (and bigger) hail stones. Hope the insurance policies are all OK.

Good score with the walnut though - don't get much of that here. What's the saying? "It's an ill wind that blows no-one any good" - or something like that.

Looking forward to the WIP and journal on the great walnut carve up.

Wayne

OGYT
27th June 2008, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the kind comments, Folks. I do appreciate them.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
TTIT, It costs too much for me to afford Insurance. So any damage comes out of my pocket… which is very shallow.
<o:p></o:p>
Wheelin, and Gaz, I live just 15 miles NW of the location of that ‘supposed’ “Texas Chainsaw Massacre”. It’s just a tale… no truth to it. And the Sheriff is a good bloke, and lives just about 5 miles from that spot, too. :D
Hughie and Wayne both hit the quote…
Sorry for being out of pocket so much… pulled a muscle in my back while I was working on those window unit air conditioners, and finally went to the doctor this morning.
I will get some pics of that walnut and some of the turnings… but right now I’m under the influence of drugs, so I’d better get outa here. :D

Mulgabill
27th June 2008, 05:21 PM
Hey Al! Good to hear all is well (relatively speaking):2tsup:. Every cloud has a silver (or Walnut) lining, even tornado type clouds. Hope you quickly recover from your back injury.

Caveman
27th June 2008, 07:18 PM
Bad luck Al - sorry to hear of the damage.

Hope you manage to get all back up and running soon (including yourself!).

woodwork wally
27th June 2008, 11:02 PM
Hey Al I think i would have sooner had to go o the sherriffs office to clean up the road than to have it delivered to the door in that way That can be expensive freight fixing up the b***ered items . sorry to hear about your own damage as well mate Just get well soon and back on line and take care of the back Ive got one thats non repairable but still got a life so dont bitch it just slows things down to a slow walk
anyway get well soon regards W W Wally