PDA

View Full Version : Incra LS Positioner Super System Jig 17" or 25"???

alaskagypsy
26th June 2008, 03:47 PM
I am getting ready to purchase an Incra Ultra Jig with Wonder Fence, but can't make up my mind if I should get the 17" or the 25". On a router table, not connected to a table saw.
I will be doing mostly small boxes (jewelry, parts, cigar) for a while - for extra income. Maybe work into blanket chests, etc. Maybe cabinetry later.
I would hope to get into larger things later on such as clothes chest, small tables.
Am wondering what your views are on the choice between the two.
Thanks.
Ron

damian
26th June 2008, 04:30 PM
There is an incra specific forum area by the way..

I bought the 25" and wish I'd bought a 32" positioner but I'm going to use it with a saw aswell.

Depends on what your using it for. If your making little boxes the ultralite will do joints up to 12".

The main advantages as far as I can see with the LS is the fine adjust knob is closer to you. Obviously you get more travel. Note you should be able to do finger joints twice as long as the positioner travel, and maybe through dovetails also, by turning the piece around and incrementing back the other way. If your missing tails for decorative joints keeping track of everything will become complex.

The main advantages of the wonder fence is the dust extraction and the jointing function. Yes the high rail for higher work is nice but nothing you couldn't do with a false fence. For that matter jointing could be done with MDF and shims, but the incra wedges are very nice to use.

If your buying a full size ultra I assume this is local new old stock as incra don't make those anymore. They have been superceded by the LS. There isn't much in it functionally but you should be able to negotiate a discount given they are out of date.

If I were in your shoes I'd consider an ultra lite with a view to later upgrade. Otherwise get the 25", it shouldn't be that much more. $30 or something ?

Big Shed
26th June 2008, 06:33 PM
As damian said, get the LS25, I bought te LS17, and although I am very happy with it, If I had to it again I would go for the LS25.

If you are not saving a lot of money get the LS+Wonderfence rather than the Ultra.

Either way get the Wonderfence, brilliant.