PDA

View Full Version : Bugger! hope WH&S don't see us!

journeyman Mick
19th February 2004, 07:09 PM
I was picking up some groceries at Cairns Central today and they are in the process of sandblasting and painting the shade sail support structures. For dust control they've stretched shade cloth type material around the work area, using a scissor lift at each corner to support it. I remember thinking, "hmmm, that doesn't look kosher" as I headed in to shop. When I came out the breeze had picked up and the sail effect of the cloth had pulled one of the scissor lifts over, luckily it ended up leaning against one of the support structures. One of the guys then rode up on the forks of a fork lift (naughty) to attach a rope to the lift, the other end being tied to the back of a 4wd. I hung around for a bit waiting to see if they'd get out of the frying pan into the fire, but I think sanity may have been prevailing as there were a lot of phone calls being made. They weren't smart enough however to lower the other three scissor lifts, two of which would not have fallen against steelwork but onto open areas with pedestrians and vehicles. Photos follow.

Mick

journeyman Mick
19th February 2004, 07:12 PM
Another view

journeyman Mick
19th February 2004, 07:17 PM
"Maybe we can quickly haul it uoright with my Nissan and pretend it never happened"

kenmil
19th February 2004, 08:38 PM
Mick it IS Hicksville.....er Queensland after all !:D

Ben from Vic.
19th February 2004, 09:14 PM
Mick, are you part of that 'wood craft' type gallery up in Kerunda?

journeyman Mick
19th February 2004, 09:43 PM
No, mostly do building work, kitchens and cabinets and the occasional bit of commisioned furniture. If I started doing crafty type stuff and selling it my wife would shoot me, she's been waiting a while for furniture to get finished.

Mick

RETIRED
20th February 2004, 06:52 AM
Hmmmm, Julie (my wife) can relate to that.;)

oges
20th February 2004, 08:48 AM
the workers didnt come charging at the camera like they do on a current affair did they :D

journeyman Mick
20th February 2004, 09:09 AM
No, but they did look over and notice me and the fifty or so people looking on. I think they started thinking things thru and probably realised that while it was embarressing and they would probably get a slap on the wrist from WH&S it wasn't nearly as bad as if they tried hauling it upright with the 4wd and had it fall flat on the ground.

Mick

Red neck
20th February 2004, 09:31 AM
Mick,

Good to see my fellow Rednecks are alive and well!