PDA

View Full Version : Waldo's coping sled

Waldo
27th June 2008, 10:21 PM
G'day,

This is my first time, I'm no longer a vergin (changed spelling so as not to bring Forum into disripute - and I couldn't think of another meaning for the word) I did it, I finally made a jig for my router table.

I'd been looking at the Infinity coping sled, for a short while I thought about buying one, but then I figured I could make one. I already had a few bits from when I made my r/table, namely the Incra Mitre Slider 450mm, which I had bought in preparation of making a different jig altogether.

My first thought was what material to make the sled base from. I thought about aluminium plate, but it'd be pricey and I wanted a decent size, so I went shopping for a plastic chopping board. It had to be perfectly true on all axis, so there I was in a House shop, pulling out all the chopping boards and looking at them individually. Finally I found one 450mm x 295mm x about 15mm. :2tsup:

So after near a whole day today carefully measuring and tapping all holes with a M5 tap I finally had it near finished. Near finished, because I now have to work out if I put in a sliding fence to clamp on the left side of the stock. I'm not sure if it needs one, if I do (see pic 3) I'll route two slots on the underneath where I've roughly marked in blue, with the toggle clamp roughly where it is now.

I did forget one thing, to drill two access holes for a the track adjustment. I can easily do that tomorrow. (that's also the reason that the track runs out from underneath the sled to the right, the one of the adjustment holes falls a bout 5mm to the right of the acylic, to the other side by about 5mm is one of the fastening points into the track)

Cliff Rogers
27th June 2008, 11:20 PM
Hmmm.... noice.... :think:

What does it do? :?

Waldo
28th June 2008, 12:13 AM
Jig for holding stock while I cut rail and stiles.

Big Shed
28th June 2008, 12:17 AM
Jig for holding stock while I cut rail and stiles.

Or as the Yanks call it, cope and stick, which is why it is called a coping sled:D

Looking good Waldo:2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
28th June 2008, 12:48 AM
Rioght then.... what is a rail and stiles? :?

rayintheuk
28th June 2008, 05:09 AM
Right then.... what is a rail and stiles?
In a panelled door, the stiles are the outer vertical pieces, the rails are the horizontal pieces that connect to them to make the perimeter of the door. In a panelled door there will always be two stiles, but there can be more than two rails, because another rail (or rails) can be used to divide the door horizontally (symmetrically or not).

Older doors had a central stile also, making a four-panel door typical of the Victorian era, usually with a deeper central and lower rail than the top rail.

Rails and stiles are structural parts of a door, joined by mortice and tenon or cope and stick joints (or even, in small cabinets, with biscuits or pocket-hole screws). They should not be confused with glazing bars, etc. HTH

Nice jig, Waldo! :)

Ray.

JDarvall
28th June 2008, 06:59 AM
Looks good.

Will you have a tear board attached ? will need one for coping rails I would have thought.

thinking just some piece of scrap that you screw to the fence to take the blast out. Maybe drill a couple of holes in the acrylic there to pull the scrap tight to it with screws.

just a suggestion. Any cross grain cut will need it. reminds me of the old machine at work. tenoning machine that works on the same principle. but its for door rails.

Waldo
28th June 2008, 11:22 AM
Gday Jake,

:yes: there'll be a sacrfial board for tear out, just hadn't got that far yet. :2tsup:

Cliff Rogers
28th June 2008, 12:32 PM
In a panelled door, the stiles are the outer vertical pieces, the rails are the horizontal pieces that connect to them to make the perimeter of the door. ...
Ray.
Thanks Ray. :2tsup:

I was actually just winding Waldo up. :-

rayintheuk
28th June 2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks Ray. :2tsup:

I was actually just winding Waldo up. :-
Well, you got me! I thought it was a bit odd, but I did what I usually do - jumped right in! :)

Ray.

Scally
28th June 2008, 11:06 PM
Lovely Red colour.

It looks pretty good with solid clamps.

I have made a couple out of ply when I was making panels. None of them keepers though.

So far I haven't been able to convince myself to put a Mitre slot in the router table. You have nearly convinced me with that flash sled.

The sandpaper sounds like a good idea as you get a fair bit of kick when routing the ends of rails.

Waldo
28th June 2008, 11:21 PM
Scally, with the number of frame and panels I'm about to do I thought it a good investment so far as the cost involved, and I still came out ahead of the cost of the Infinity. Yeah, the red looks good, it's meant to make it go faster. ( it was red, yellow, white or blue as in colour choices - red won)

All the commercial sleds i looked at didn't have a mitre slider, but i thought it'd keep it square to the bit more so than relying on my pressure in keeping it against the fence.

joe greiner
28th June 2008, 11:28 PM
Well, you got me! I thought it was a bit odd, but I did what I usually do - jumped right in! :)

Ray.

Now you know Cliff a little better.:wink:

Joe

Waldo
28th June 2008, 11:31 PM
Now you know Cliff a little better.:wink:

Joe

He often goes fishing, I bit a little but didn't let him catch me. :U

Bob38S
29th June 2008, 11:13 AM
Nice one Waldo

Would you consider adding the Lexan type fence runner at a later time? From the original pix it appears that it could be a good idea to keep the chips out of your face as well as acting as a helper for your chip/dust extraction. Could also be an aid for the runner under the sled as it would then be bearing on 2 surfaces.

Just a thought,
Bob

Waldo
29th June 2008, 10:36 PM
Nice one Waldo

Would you consider adding the Lexan type fence runner at a later time? From the original pix it appears that it could be a good idea to keep the chips out of your face as well as acting as a helper for your chip/dust extraction. Could also be an aid for the runner under the sled as it would then be bearing on 2 surfaces.

Just a thought,
Bob

A very good idea Bob and :yes: I would, not immediately but yes. :2tsup:

kenwho
10th August 2008, 12:31 PM
G'day,

This is my first time, I'm no longer a virgin (changed spelling so as not to bring Forum into disrepute - and I couldn't think of another meaning for the word) I did it, I finally made a jig for my router table.

I'd been looking at the Infinity coping sled, for a short while I thought about buying one, but then I figured I could make one. I already had a few bits from when I made my r/table, namely the Incra Mitre Slider 450mm, which I had bought in preparation of making a different jig altogether.

My first thought was what material to make the sled base from. I thought about aluminium plate, but it'd be pricey and I wanted a decent size, so I went shopping for a plastic chopping board. It had to be perfectly true on all axis, so there I was in a House shop, pulling out all the chopping boards and looking at them individually. Finally I found one 450mm x 295mm x about 15mm. :2tsup:

So after near a whole day today carefully measuring and tapping all holes with a M5 tap I finally had it near finished. Near finished, because I now have to work out if I put in a sliding fence to clamp on the left side of the stock. I'm not sure if it needs one, if I do (see pic 3) I'll route two slots on the underneath where I've roughly marked in blue, with the toggle clamp roughly where it is now.

I did forget one thing, to drill two access holes for a the track adjustment. I can easily do that tomorrow. (that's also the reason that the track runs out from underneath the sled to the right, the one of the adjustment holes falls a bout 5mm to the right of the acrylic, to the other side by about 5mm is one of the fastening points into the track) Hello Waldo you have done a great job . I am making the shopnotes version coping sled Thanks to a fellow woodworker I my self would rather make it also instead of buying . yours is identical to rocklers . there is on sale 69.00 + ship . waldo I do have a question are you going to use an bit extension it looks like the board is a 1/2" thick . anyway I think you for your pics and i will be starting on mine:D

Waldo
10th August 2008, 04:00 PM
... yours is identical to rocklers . there is on sale 69.00 + ship . waldo I do have a question are you going to use an bit extension it looks like the board is a 1/2" thick . anyway I think you for your pics and i will be starting on mine:D

G'day Kenwho,

I looked at a lot of coping jigs before I settled on making it myself. I looked at the Rockler, but can't remember what it looked like :shrug: I did however very much like the Inifinity one, which I was tempted to buy.

The cutting board (love 'em for jigs) is about 1/2", so far I haven't needed to use an extension bit, although I do have one if needed ( :2tsup: :; ) So far my Hitachi TR12 and Dj's little Triton has got me out of trouble.

Glad my thread and pics has helped someone.

Stuart
11th August 2008, 09:24 AM
Nice work Waldo - missed it earlier. So when is the commercial PWS version coming out?

seafurymike
11th August 2008, 11:40 AM
Hey Waldo,

Love your work. Now that I'm copying your table, I just have to look for your posts and copy the rest of your work. Your making my life so much simpler. What else are we going to build???

/M

Waldo
11th August 2008, 12:25 PM
G'day Stuart,

A commercial version, might mean I could give up my day job, trouble is Grahame already has one in his lineup.

SeafuryMike, copy away as much as you like. Building next? :think: External housing for my Dusty and a cabinet/bookcase x 2.

Harry72
11th August 2008, 02:44 PM
Looks good Wally!

artme
11th August 2008, 07:04 PM
Missed this before. Great design and great job Waldo.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Waldo
11th August 2008, 10:53 PM
Thanks Harry72 and Artme. I like it when things work. It's often the simple things that do the biggest things. Without having made this jig there's no way I'd be able to run the stock through to rout the stiles.

Bob38S
11th September 2008, 11:35 AM
G'day Waldo,

You have now had it use for a while, how about an update, as you now have had an opportunity to use it in "anger". :U

Have you had to make any additions to make it work like you wanted or does it work as you expected?

Regards,
Bob

The Bleeder
11th September 2008, 12:03 PM
Waldo,

Missed this thread originally. Nice work. This one is filed away for construction on a rainy day....:U

Steve

Waldo
11th September 2008, 01:19 PM
G'day Waldo,

You have now had it use for a while, how about an update, as you now have had an opportunity to use it in "anger". :U

Have you had to make any additions to make it work like you wanted or does it work as you expected?

Regards,
Bob

G'day Bob38S,

It's been used a fair bit now, it'll really get a work out in a week or two. It's worked as well as I had hoped. Ideally I would've liked a plate of aluminium for the sled as the cutting board has some very slight flex, but I found by adjusting the toggle clamps that this was overcome.

Thanks for the :2tsup: Bleeder.

Bob38S
12th September 2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the info.

bsrlee
12th September 2008, 09:13 PM
I bought the Rockler sled when it first came out - it is nowhere near as good as Waldo's & needed considerable modification before I found it useful - it is basically just a flat bit of plastic with one handle & a hold down clamp bolted on - no guides & no provision for fitting one. I made a simple guide from a bit of MDF to fit my Triton router table, then had to drill holes & figure out how to fit it up.