PDA

View Full Version : Lidded box

Ad de Crom
27th June 2008, 11:24 PM
Recently I made a lidded box in the same style like the lidded boxes of Pam Reilly, I'm for a long time in touch with Pam, and she is one of the best boxmakers in the USA, not only her lidded boxes are masterpieces, but also her mosaic hollow forms are breathtaking beautiful.
It's always a challenge to try to copy her work, and it is a big fun.
I'm not so good in the details as Pam, for that you need sharp eyes, and the right touch in your fingertips, something she have...))
The lidded box I made is of silverbirch with a teak finial, 95mm in diameter and 145mm in height, including the finial. Finished with two layers egg gloss Glitsa.

Thanks for looking.

Ad

Chipman
28th June 2008, 01:04 AM
Nce job ADC,

It doesn't take long and you get hooked on it:2tsup:

Strange, I avoided this type of turning for a long time as I thought it a bit boring and now I love doing it too.

Keep up the turning stuff,

Chipman:)

artme
28th June 2008, 08:24 AM
G'day ADC, thought you had vanished.

Very neat box!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

hughie
28th June 2008, 09:25 AM
clean simple lines, Ok with me. :2tsup:

RufflyRustic
28th June 2008, 09:48 AM
Yep, the clean lines do it for me too! :2tsup::) Very elegant! How did you find the silverbirch when working it?

cheers
Wendy

munruben
28th June 2008, 10:06 AM
I'm no expert but looks terrific.

Ad de Crom
28th June 2008, 07:02 PM
Yep, the clean lines do it for me too! :2tsup::) Very elegant! How did you find the silverbirch when working it?

cheers
Wendy

Wendy, thanks for your nice comment.
I enjoy it to work with silverbirch, turned pretty well.

Chipman
28th June 2008, 09:04 PM
ADC,

I have some Silver Birch to try... one of my trees died as a result of the droughts here in Melbourne. I sealed it and it has been drying for nearly 3 years. The smaller bits will be ready to turn so I will be able to compare it.

Chipman

littlebuddha
28th June 2008, 09:18 PM
Nice Ad I keep saying box making is fun, and you can use alsorts of stuff for doing them, always nice to see someone having a go and making a nice job of it to.:2tsup: LB

http://www.shapewood.co.uk

Calm
28th June 2008, 09:37 PM
Ad very nice job, i have a peice of Silky oak in the shed - about 120 mm square and 600 long - i want to have a go with.

What tools d you use to hollow out with and finish off.

cheers

joe greiner
29th June 2008, 12:12 AM
Very elegant, Ad. Little boxes are fun to make, and allow lots of variations. On a few pieces, I've made dedicated chucks from scrap rounds, essentially a rough-cut box with slots cut in the sides and a hose clamp for adjustment. Pvc pipe fittings also work well with similar construction, and standard diameters.

I'll not reveal how I hollowed my first box, for fear of excommunication. FWIW, there was no drill involved.:-

Joe

Ad de Crom
29th June 2008, 01:26 AM
Ad very nice job, i have a peice of Silky oak in the shed - about 120 mm square and 600 long - i want to have a go with.

What tools d you use to hollow out with and finish off.

cheers

Hi David, I use for my hollowing jobs always a hollowing rig with a 4mm sqaire HSS tooltip for cutting, for smoohing I replace the tooltip by a multifacenet scraper.
See also my website http://members.lycos.nl/adecrom
Cheers. Ad
BTW. Silky oak is also a very nice woodspieces for boxmaking, so give it a go.

Calm
29th June 2008, 09:39 AM
Hi David, I use for my hollowing jobs always a hollowing rig with a 4mm sqaire HSS tooltip for cutting, for smoohing I replace the tooltip by a multifacenet scraper.
See also my website http://members.lycos.nl/adecrom
Cheers. Ad
BTW. Silky oak is also a very nice woodspieces for boxmaking, so give it a go.

Thanks Ad but my tool choice is bowl gouges, skew chisels, roughing gouges, roundnose scrapers or old cheap tiawanese chisel set and grinder to fasion an old 1" skew into a scraper.

I am keen to give it a go but dont hold your breath to see pictures of the first one.

Cheers