PDA

View Full Version : new at this

mattym83
28th June 2008, 10:30 PM
Hi
New at this and I have a few questions. I am going to make some burl clocks. I was wondering if anyone can help me out with making burl clocks i already have 2 small pieces of burl but want more larger pieces does anyone know where i could get some from in Aus hopefully in Brisbane.
also with the thicker pieces do you need to sink the movement into the back.. if so how?
how do you stick numbers on i read somewhere super glue is that right?
Last Questions how would be the best way to go about getting the polished finish to the wood

Thanks for any Help
Matt

aprilfool
1st July 2008, 02:51 PM
G'day Matt

I'm not going to pretend im an expert on the subject of clock making but i hope i can help a bit. You should be able to get large burl slabs at Lazarides timber agency (near the airport). http://www.lazaridestimberagencies.com/.

I don't know how thick your hoping to get these burls. The best option would be to add small cleats to the back to give enough space for the movement. But if you have to recess it the only possible option in my opinion is to recess the clocks in with a lathe. The other option is using a large saw tooth forstner bit on an extremely slow speed to drill a hole, but i would disregard this method as it would be near impossible to drill a large hole in a burl.

You can use small spots of super glue to fix the numbers but i find hot glue to be easier as it sets quickly.

On the question on how to finish the burl it really is up to you. For a really high gloss finish I use Glass coat (is like tupac available from bunnings). The only problem with this is it takes away the feel of the wood.

Hope this help