PDA

View Full Version : Where to find a mini lathe in Perth?

puddlefish
29th June 2008, 03:59 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forums, and to Perth. I'm looking to buy a mini lathe to try some wood turning. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to get one, or which model to try (the Jet seems popular, are there any alternatives?)?
Cheers!
Ian

funkychicken
29th June 2008, 04:00 PM
Carba-tec sell the Woodfast mini. Don't buy a Jet:no:

derekcohen
29th June 2008, 07:30 PM
FC, why?

You cannot make unsubstantiated statements like that. Be specific. Otherwise it just sounds like bigotry or dogma.

For the record I have a mini Jet - manual speed version - and this has provided excellent service. I have never had a problem in its 18 months of use. As far as I am aware, only the variable speed versions have given trouble, and only in Australia. The USA VS versions use a different system.

The Jet and the DElta cost the same, and are both cheaper than the Woodfast. From reports the Jet mini just (only just) beats out the Delta midi in reports over the years. There is a new Jet on the market, which is slightly larger than the one I have. I had a look at it at the last Perth Woodshow. I was impressed. The Woodfast is available at Carba-tec. It looks the same as the Jet mini (the smaller one I have), has the same power, but costs more. Is it better? I don't know. Woodfast have a good rep, but this one is made in China, I gather. Perhaps Rob Loss will respond here as he has one. Carbatec do not sell Jet, so you cannot see them next to one another. Wait for the Woodshow in August?

Regards from Perth

Derek

puddlefish
29th June 2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, does the woodshow have a website?

Pat
29th June 2008, 08:07 PM
WA Woodshow (http://www.trueblue-exhibitions.com.au/WAWoodShow.htm)

funkychicken
29th June 2008, 08:11 PM
I have the Jet 1220, Two problems with it. First of all the light on it is useless but the real problem is that the centres don't line up. See here. (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=65940) It is extremely frustrating!

Big Shed
29th June 2008, 08:38 PM
To be fair to FC, he is not the only one to have negative experiences with the Jet Mini lathes, others on this forum hav reported problems ranging from centres not lining up to switch failure and shaft/bearing problems.

I log on to 2 US pen turning forums and there is quite a constant run of complaints about the Jet Mini lathes, so to call FC opinion unsubstantiated is not correct and unfair to FC.

A few months ago I was in the market for a small lathe for pen turning (still am) and of all the small lathes I looked at the Jet was least impressive on a range of parameters.

If you do a search on this forum you will find quite a few complaints about Jet Mini lathes.

funkychicken
29th June 2008, 08:50 PM
But Derek had a point

Anyway, back on topic:

Buy a Woodfast or Vicmarc

derekcohen
29th June 2008, 09:50 PM
Mmmm .... I'd love a Vicmarc. Now we are talking top quality!

To keep things in perspective, the Jet Mini and the Delta Midi are excellent value for money, but still entry level machines. I've been very happy with my mini and will keep it when I get a larger machine. It is still ideal for handles, pens, and spindles.

Thanks FC - no hard feelings?

Regards from Perth

Derek

funkychicken
29th June 2008, 10:07 PM
None at all Derek:2tsup:

The one advantage my Jet has over a Vicmarc is larger capacity. But then again, I never really wanted a midi lathe, a VL300 would be more to my wanting:D

BobL
29th June 2008, 10:29 PM
I compared the Jet, Delta and the Woodfast when purchasing last February. They seemed pretty much the same in terms of build quality.

The Woodfast has 50 mm more swing, 70 mm further between centres and one thing that I like is a low end speed of 360 for the Woodfast verus 500 rpm for the Jet. The Woodfast also has a 12 position indexer. I think these extras alone are worth the extra $40, but what swung me to the Woodfast was when I went to see the Woodfast at Carbatec they were offering them for the same price as the Jet.

The Woodfast has worked great given the flogging I've put it through but has not been without problems (of my own making). I snapped the tailstock cam on the first day (rebuilt and made a stronger one myself), I also sheared the Indexing cog pin - I don't think the indexer is designed to use as a lock to remove the chuck.

If you don't need these features and could use the extra $40 to put towards some tools or a chuck I would think the Jet is still a very good machine.

Chipman
29th June 2008, 10:42 PM
Earlier this year I went to an exhibition put on by the Goulburn Valley woodturners at Sheparton (vic) and most of them had Jet minis but when talking to them, they thought the Woodfast m305 was a better lathe (at least that is the impression I got).

If you are in Perth, Timbercon (www.timbercon.com.au (http://www.timbercon.com.au)) have a mini lathe (MC-1018)

Cheers,

Chipman:)

wonka
29th June 2008, 10:43 PM
I am rather amused at FC comments about his lathe. Why do you tell everyone not to buy a jet? If you bought the lathe new why not take it back to the retailer and have it replaced or repaired if it is faulty.