PDA

View Full Version : Burl Bowls

Fredo
29th June 2008, 09:28 PM
Hi everyone

New bowls, made these over the last two weekends.

First bowl is a eucalypt resin burl (I think). This blank was very dry and difficult to turn, fairly fragile and chipped easily. Size is 380 x 120. Finish is orange oil.

Second is a Coolabah burl waved edge shallow bowl (my very favourite wood) - way too much sanding involved with waved edged bowls. Size is 290 x 45. Finish is Danish oil and needs more coats.

Third bowl is a brown mallee burl. With such an odd shaped blank, this is the best I could do to keep some size. Size is 280 x 140. Finish is Danish oil and needs more coats.

Photography's pretty ordinary, feel free to comment.

Fredo :U

Chipman
29th June 2008, 09:35 PM
Wow :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

That looks brilliant. I love the burl but the fluted/wavy edges look fantastic. How did you do that? Did you use a router and indexing on the lathe and then sand?

Chipman:)

funkychicken
29th June 2008, 10:10 PM
That wavy bowl looks awesome!

Good work:2tsup:

Jarrahrules
29th June 2008, 10:37 PM
Hi everyone

New bowls, made these over the last two weekends.

First bowl is a eucalypt resin burl (I think). This blank was very dry and difficult to turn, fairly fragile and chipped easily. Size is 380 x 120. Finish is orange oil.

Second is a Coolabah burl waved edge shallow bowl (my very favourite wood) - way too much sanding involved with waved edged bowls. Size is 290 x 45. Finish is Danish oil and needs more coats.

Third bowl is a brown mallee burl. With such an odd shaped blank, this is the best I could do to keep some size. Size is 280 x 140. Finish is Danish oil and needs more coats.

Photography's pretty ordinary, feel free to comment.

Hi Fredo:oo::oo:

I think that they are absolutly briliant.
Top job. And credit where credit due.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

JAMC

TTIT
29th June 2008, 10:47 PM
I've got a resin burl just like that about 500mm across that I've been meaning to get to - - for about 3 years now :B:B:B
Fantastic stuff Fredo :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: That wave platter is really something special, especially with your 'signature' in the centre.

Harry72
29th June 2008, 10:54 PM
Very nice Fredo

oldiephred
30th June 2008, 09:22 AM
Really pretty bowls. It must take great eye/hand co-ordination and fantastic concentration to turn those wavy items.:o:U

wheelinround
30th June 2008, 09:33 AM
Fredo magnificent work :2tsup:
The wave bowl and its centre piece look spectacular did you use a wobble plate and a Rose Engine

orraloon
30th June 2008, 10:14 AM
Top shelf items Fredo. The wavy one dose it fot me.

Sawdust Maker
30th June 2008, 04:51 PM
:clap: :wts:

Can't really add anything
But a question, how did you do the waves?

artme
30th June 2008, 06:34 PM
Tre bon!!!!:brava:brava:brava

RufflyRustic
30th June 2008, 08:02 PM
:wave::thewave::groupwave:

benji79
30th June 2008, 08:14 PM
Super bowls. Love the wavey edges. :2tsup::2tsup:

joe greiner
30th June 2008, 09:49 PM
Nothing at all ordinary there, Fredo. It took me a whole day just to be able to say that. Otherwise, I'm speechless.

Joe

Fredo
30th June 2008, 10:59 PM
Thanks to everyone for the kind words, I enjoyed the challenge of working with these burls.

Chipman & wheelinround - Yes, a router and indexing.

Vern - Thanks, the wave's also my favourite. Drag out your resin burl and get into it. They look a lot better up close than in photos.

oldiephred - Ah, yes. :;

Joe - It's the Aussie burls, I just remove the unnecessary bits.

wheelinround
1st July 2008, 10:06 AM
Fredo will you be demonstrating at the Canberra Wood Show would like to see more of your work and how too's

BobL
1st July 2008, 10:29 AM
Lovely work freddo! I think I finally found a half decent use for some bits of burl I have laying around the place.

ss_11000
1st July 2008, 03:10 PM
Awesome:2tsup:

TEEJAY
1st July 2008, 08:33 PM
Very impressive and different :2tsup:

The closer you get to the wave bowl the more an effect the pattern has.

powderpost
1st July 2008, 10:07 PM
Excellent work. They all look very good.
Jim

Fredo
8th July 2008, 09:58 PM
An apology to wheelinround for not replying earlier, computer issues - graphics card (cactus). I have a new one now, but it's still only running on seven cylinders. Such is life. Short answer on demonstrating: no, too shy, though I will be wandering about checking out the suppliers' stands (and trying not to spend too much money).

Rum Pig
9th July 2008, 08:50 AM
Well done Fredo:)(:2tsup::2tsup::wtg:

I also like the wavy bowl. I don't have that much time or Patience to tackle something like that but one day I will.