PDA

View Full Version : Just off the lathe

Little Festo
29th June 2008, 11:28 PM
Just "almost finished" this the other day, needs to sanded and the foot to be taken off but was pleased with the piece so I grabbed the camera and took a photo. Approx 350mm in diameter Bunya pine, no finish, quite wet though.

Peter

Chipman
29th June 2008, 11:32 PM
Wow:2tsup:

That is beautiful wood and you have it so thin, it is practically translucent! I must look for a piece of that....

Great work!

Chipman:)

Ad de Crom
30th June 2008, 02:12 AM
Peter, that's a big beauty, as I can see with thin walls, so more or less translucent I guess.
Do you know this pine is excellent stuff for making translucent shades, for table lamps, I did it quite a couple of times.
Great job.
Ad :2tsup:

coffenup
30th June 2008, 07:35 AM
love the pattern great job
regards michael
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

artme
30th June 2008, 09:22 AM
:o:o:o:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Gil Jones
30th June 2008, 10:29 AM
Peter, very well done!!!
Rather looks like the NIP bowls after an oil soak.
Thanks for sharing.

wheelinround
30th June 2008, 10:57 AM
:o:2tsup: as others have said

Mrs Woodpecker
30th June 2008, 02:51 PM
How beautiful!! Clever man. :2tsup:Cheers, Shirley

Little Festo
30th June 2008, 03:01 PM
Peter, very well done!!!
Rather looks like the NIP bowls after an oil soak.
Thanks for sharing.

Hello Gill,

That will be the next step after removing the tenon, lots of dipping and too much sanding.

Peter

OGYT
30th June 2008, 03:26 PM
Absolutely gorgeous wood, Peter. Don't know if we have anything like that wood up here in NW Texas, but it sure is pretty stuff.
I've had sweet gum that thin, and it's pretty near translucent, but it's blah wood. That bunya's awesome!

Woodwould
30th June 2008, 03:44 PM
That's really quite beautiful! :2tsup:

Fredo
30th June 2008, 07:56 PM
Nice classic form, beautiful colour. One question Peter, do you lose much of the colour in the drying and finishing process?

Fredo :U

Little Festo
30th June 2008, 08:20 PM
Nice classic form, beautiful colour. One question Peter, do you lose much of the colour in the drying and finishing process?

Fredo :U

Hello Fredo,

When it dries the translucence is lost. The oilings "replace" the water so to speak and the translucence returns, generally it takes several to twenty or even thirty oilings, depends on thickness, of course the thinner the fewer oilings required. The piece needs to be wet sanded between oilings. Depending on the oil mixture there is a colour gain, generally a honey to amber although the Bunya seems to have a slight amber colour when wet.

Peter

orraloon
30th June 2008, 08:36 PM
Peter,
That is first class.

Regards
John

Stu in Tokyo
30th June 2008, 09:25 PM
Peter that is really amazing, love it! :2tsup:

Harry72
30th June 2008, 11:09 PM
Awesome work Peter.

ptc
2nd July 2008, 10:29 AM
Stunning !

rsser
2nd July 2008, 11:02 AM
Can't you soak it in oil Peter to reduce some of the drudgery?

Little Festo
2nd July 2008, 08:45 PM
Can't you soak it in oil Peter to reduce some of the drudgery?

Hello Ern,

Yes, I will soak it several times. It's amazing, after soaking all night many pieces don't look heavily oiled. It seems that it is the buildup that gives the translucent effect. The oil soaks deeply but after wiping off the excess and sanding there isn't a rich gloss/oiled finish. It does however soak deeply into the wood but requires several dippings to "fill the wood".

Peter

hughie
2nd July 2008, 11:12 PM
Peter,

Shades of Ron Kent! :2tsup:

How about soaking under pressure. I have often thought that pressure might be a way to shorten the process.

Little Festo
3rd July 2008, 10:55 AM
Peter,

Shades of Ron Kent! :2tsup:

How about soaking under pressure. I have often thought that pressure might be a way to shorten the process.

Hello Hughie,

D0n't know about the pressure soaking but I have heard that soaking in a Vacuum works well. I have a Vac pump but have don't know how the Boiled linseed oil would be under a Vac, no O2 so one would think it would be safe - as a fire hazard.

Peter

Manuka Jock
3rd July 2008, 11:01 AM
Peter , how would it go , in the future , if you oiled the piece from one side only ,
thus allowing any air and moisture to escape ,
rather that stay trapped in between two oil layers.

rsser
3rd July 2008, 05:12 PM
If the piece had been turned fairly thin, and esp if sanded, wouldn't it be pretty dry already?

Manuka Jock
3rd July 2008, 06:15 PM
If the piece had been turned fairly thin, and esp if sanded, wouldn't it be pretty dry already?

Apparently not

Just "almost finished" this the other day, needs to sanded and the foot to be taken off but was pleased with the piece so I grabbed the camera and took a photo. Approx 350mm in diameter Bunya pine, no finish, quite wet though.

rsser
3rd July 2008, 09:14 PM
Full marks for your memory MJ.

"Pretty wet" up north might well mean "pretty dry" down here, if one wanted to be Jesuitical ;-}

Manuka Jock
3rd July 2008, 11:00 PM
"Pretty wet" up north might well mean "pretty dry" down here, if one wanted to be Jesuitical ;-}

:D :D :D
situation ethics eh ....

the one-sided oiling would be easy tho , just fill the bowl up :)

Little Festo
5th July 2008, 11:57 AM
Peter , how would it go , in the future , if you oiled the piece from one side only ,
thus allowing any air and moisture to escape ,
rather that stay trapped in between two oil layers.

Seems to dry pretty quick, should be ready for oiling next week. I have it in the house where it's a bit warmer, paper bagged and no sign of cracking. Luckily I have a cupboard I'm allowed to use for storing a few pieces.

Peter