PDA

View Full Version : Bowl sanding paddles?

Stryker223
1st July 2008, 08:49 AM
I was looking through a web site and came across a device that is supposed to make sanding bowls easier more efficient. The place is selling them for $49.95 and as simple as they are, if they really work, any wood worker with a brain could make em for a quarter a pop.
Do any of you folks use anything like this to sand your bowls or other vessels and if so, do you like them?
Here's a link to the seller's page.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/SPBKIT3.html

OGYT
1st July 2008, 09:04 AM
Michael, I have a Sioux angle drill that I use when I power sand. The rest of the time, I use little inertia sanders that I made using Rollerblade wheels, Shower shoes, and allthread with dowel handles.
The inertia sanders work better than anything else, other than the Sioux.

Jim Carroll
1st July 2008, 10:09 AM
The problem with that type of design is that you will finish up with lines in your work.

When you hold your hand in position to sand the dust goes around with the bowl and comes back to your hand and gets resanded so creating scratches in the wood.

The U Beaut Rotary sander and the skilton sanding pads work better because they are rotating so they push the dust away into your extractor and actually do a double cut because your lathe is turning and the heads are turning which speeds up sanding so no need to spend ages sanding.
You move through the grades quicker with less effort and no lines.

There is no build up of dust on the pads from staying in the one position.

BobL
1st July 2008, 10:36 AM
:iagree:

ss_11000
1st July 2008, 03:08 PM
Get a U-Beaut one. They are great to use!

orraloon
1st July 2008, 04:12 PM
Michael,
Check out the home made sanding thingos this guy makes.
Wood turning lathe tips:techniques: woodturning instruction (http://aroundthewoods.com/)

Regards
John

Barry Hicks
2nd July 2008, 07:26 AM
As Jim says. I think the only useful part of the
thing would be the 5x10 packs of discs and then
only if they were good quality.

Stryker223
2nd July 2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the link John!!!
I spent a good hour on that site and printed a lot of great ideas!!!!
I think I'll make his second version of the sanding pad and pick up one of an electric screw driver to spin it.

hughie
2nd July 2008, 09:08 PM
I have something along similar lines I use it for sanding in side hollow vessels.

The handle is curved with a rectangular pad at the business end.

ubeaut
3rd July 2008, 12:25 AM
Dear oh dear.... Check out the Original Rotary Sander (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/rotary1.htm#r1) made by U-Beaut and copied but not bested by people and businesses around the world. Now also available with 50mm heads and also 75mm & 50mm power sander heads.

Blatant ad I know. But what the heck I'm not about to ban myself.... Although one of the mods might. :o

Cheers - Neil :U

rsser
3rd July 2008, 09:42 PM
Good to see Ubeaut learning from Vicmarc about supplying a 50mm head; keeping it in the family, kind of ;-}