PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Rod Rack

jackliveshere
1st July 2008, 06:50 PM
Been racking my brain for ages as I have wanted to build something for a mate who turned 50 today. Came across Fireguard's fishing rod rack a few weeks back and thought 'hey!' that'll do quite nicely as he's a mad fisherman.

So I dug up some left over mixed species flooring that i snatched off our last display home and decided to come up with a design so i could use that.

Anyway, bit of a learning curve. First time I had a shot at mortice & tenon joinery - had a few issues, but will definitely be easier the second time around! haha. It certainly is satisfying making something with just glue & no mechanical fixings.

Gave it to him today and he was wrapted which is the main thing! Learned plenty & I would do a few things different next time, but hey that's why we build stuff, to have fun and learn new things right?!

Cheers,

WILL :2tsup:

Bluegum
1st July 2008, 08:40 PM
Nice job Will it came up really nice. It really puts my rod rack to shame the way I have stuck mine in the shed.

Harry72
1st July 2008, 09:47 PM
Better than anything you could buy in a shop, well done mate.

jackliveshere
1st July 2008, 09:59 PM
Cheers guys. Yeah it's always nicer putting in some effort & making something sentimental then buying an equivalent in a shop! Of course, there are times when a shop version will do just fine though :U

BobR
1st July 2008, 10:02 PM
Great work - looks nice. I need one of these. One day :rolleyes:

Fireguard
1st July 2008, 10:48 PM
looks good mate.....

I'm still pretty much a novice at all this woodworking stuff, but its nice to know that someone got atleast a little inspiration from something I've done.... It's usually the other way around :cool:

Very nice rack....well done.. :2tsup:

jackliveshere
2nd July 2008, 09:29 AM
looks good mate.....

I'm still pretty much a novice at all this woodworking stuff, but its nice to know that someone got atleast a little inspiration from something I've done.... It's usually the other way around :cool:

Very nice rack....well done.. :2tsup:

I was trying to think of something for literally months before hand eh. Especially something I could build that is fishing related for him. Anyway, your rack spurred me into action! Thankfully, cause I only finished it the day before his birthday!

Cheers,

WILL

splah
5th July 2008, 07:48 PM
Hi mate, just joined the forum and your rod rack is exactly what Im after, any chance on getting a few rough plans
cheers

jackliveshere
6th July 2008, 08:41 PM
Hi mate, just joined the forum and your rod rack is exactly what Im after, any chance on getting a few rough plans
cheers

Sure mate - I've attached a Google Sketchup file which I used to come up with the particular design I wanted.

Welcome to the forum :U

Cheers,

WILL

splah
7th July 2008, 07:35 PM
Onya Jack much appreciated:2tsup:

Jayeljay81
17th July 2008, 10:35 AM
Will,

Great job - it looks like it is just the thing to get SWMBO off my back about my fishing gear. Do you mind if I copy the plan also?

J

jackliveshere
17th July 2008, 10:43 AM
Will,

Great job - it looks like it is just the thing to get SWMBO off my back about my fishing gear. Do you mind if I copy the plan also?

J

Yeah no worries J, go for gold mate :2tsup:

Cheers,

WILL