PDA

View Full Version : First Router Table

jackliveshere
1st July 2008, 07:01 PM
Hey All,

I've been wanting to get a router table going for the last little while. Was browsing an electronic copy of ShopNotes #85 and saw that cheap super simple router table. I thought "Man even i can build that!" so I did. haha. Went and bought my $50 sheet of plywood and made 'er up (without the drawer though, just couldn't be bothered!).

Damn it is easier doing things on the router table!! Should have built one ages ago. Anyway, it's only a real simple project with one sheet of plywood, but it definitely does the job for now till i out grow it. There were also a number of possible upgrades you could make to that design in the ShopNotes mag, so maybe that's something to think about to.

I have a little Ryobi which was my first router.....didn't really cut the mustard in the table - so went and bought a triton! What a beast! Man I'll tell yer though, I'm spewing I missed out on those $99 mini triton routers :((

Cheers,

WILL

damian
2nd July 2008, 10:28 AM
Well done, congratulations on your new tale. They are extremely handy things and it looks like you've done well with that one :)

Waldo
2nd July 2008, 11:25 AM
I can't see the pics :cry4: :gaah:

munruben
2nd July 2008, 11:25 AM
Good work. Looks great. Way to to the big Triton.:2tsup:

jackliveshere
2nd July 2008, 11:31 AM
I can't see the pics :cry4: :gaah:

Can't see the big versions or the little ones? Seems to be working ok on this end??

Thanks for the comments guys

Cheers,

WILL

FXST01
2nd July 2008, 06:12 PM
Hey, I recognise that router table :D same one I'm planning to make soon, this time it's in Woodsmith magazine with Australian measurements. :2tsup:

Read the article a few times, but never mentions to measure your router height before building the cabinet.

What type of ply did you use Jack? Oh yeah it does look good :2tsup:

jackliveshere
2nd July 2008, 06:35 PM
Hey, I recognise that router table :D same one I'm planning to make soon, this time it's in Woodsmith magazine with Australian measurements. :2tsup:

Read the article a few times, but never mentions to measure your router height before building the cabinet.

What type of ply did you use Jack? Oh yeah it does look good :2tsup:

Haha...fair enough! I had to stick with using imperial measurements for mine. First time I'd done that, but it wasn't so bad :) Yes I wish I thought a bit more about the depth of the cabinet and fitting a router in. It's tight as fitting that big triton in there. But it works ok - you can basically get the top of the bit flush with the top while the cable for the router is squeezed a bit in the bottom.

The ply I used was called 'Okoume' plywood - 2400 x 1200 x 12mm sheet. Don't really know what that is though, haha, that's just what I was told. Looks pretty good though & it is kitchen grade so it's not bad. Without making the drawer, I had quite a bit left over. $52 or something like that for the sheet. Pretty cheap project overall.

Cheers,

WILL

damienhazo
3rd July 2008, 06:12 AM
Well done! Looks great and like you said, once you use a table, you look at projects in a whole new way...

damian
3rd July 2008, 08:41 AM
Okume is an african wood, light weight and normally used for marine play. It's very popular in multihulls which have to be light as possible.

It's not as strong as some others but has an excellant strength to weight ratio and in marine form anyway is ver durable. As I recall it's a bit splintery but you probably didn't have trouble in that project.

Bugger about the height.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aucoumea_klaineana

also known as gaboon.

Cliff Rogers
3rd July 2008, 09:36 AM
:2tsup:

jackliveshere
3rd July 2008, 12:35 PM
Okume is an african wood, light weight and normally used for marine play. It's very popular in multihulls which have to be light as possible.

It's not as strong as some others but has an excellant strength to weight ratio and in marine form anyway is ver durable. As I recall it's a bit splintery but you probably didn't have trouble in that project.

Bugger about the height.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aucoumea_klaineana

also known as gaboon.

Yeah it wasn't bad stuff to work with actually. Did the job well - though the sheet of ply had some bows & twists in it, which was a dog for trying to get some of the bigger pieces out of it :doh:

Dr.Zook
3rd July 2008, 01:38 PM
Really nice Will. Hope you enjoy it. A table mounted router is the way to go.

FXST01
3rd July 2008, 05:57 PM
Jack,

You planning on making the other cabinets in that article or just stick with the table?

jackliveshere
3rd July 2008, 06:00 PM
Jack,

You planning on making the other cabinets in that article or just stick with the table?

Mate I was thinking about it. But at this stage I quite like the size of it as I can move it around from bench to bench as I don't have a lot of space. Maybe one day though - i'd probably do the upgrades to the table first, like the mitre tracks and stuff like that.

Cheers,

WILL

artme
3rd July 2008, 06:13 PM
Well done!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Works as well as it looks??

jackliveshere
3rd July 2008, 06:40 PM
Well done!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Works as well as it looks??

Works as well as I think a router table should work!! haha :D

ronbrunton
7th July 2008, 09:23 PM
Will, I made exactly the same router table (from the plans that were published in the Australian Woodsmith last year), and like you, attached a 1400 watt Triton to it. It was my first router table and I thought I would add some of the upgrades right at the start. It worked well for a few months, but then it gradually developed a significant sag.

I think this was a result of two problems, both of which you can probably avoid. Firstly, I should not have put in the mitre track, which I discovered I didn't really need anyway. It weakened the table top.

Secondly, I think that the table top really needs more reinforcement than the plans indicate, particularly for a heavy router and if you used 12 mm (or 1/2 inch) ply. You should be able to retrofit some reinforcement without too much trouble. I would also suggest that you put a supporting arm on the right side of the table as well and always use both arms to support the top when lifting it.

Given the great job you seem to have done with the table, it would be a shame if you had to do what I did with mine, which was to ditch it.

jackliveshere
8th July 2008, 09:18 AM
Will, I made exactly the same router table (from the plans that were published in the Australian Woodsmith last year), and like you, attached a 1400 watt Triton to it. It was my first router table and I thought I would add some of the upgrades right at the start. It worked well for a few months, but then it gradually developed a significant sag.

I think this was a result of two problems, both of which you can probably avoid. Firstly, I should not have put in the mitre track, which I discovered I didn't really need anyway. It weakened the table top.

Secondly, I think that the table top really needs more reinforcement than the plans indicate, particularly for a heavy router and if you used 12 mm (or 1/2 inch) ply. You should be able to retrofit some reinforcement without too much trouble. I would also suggest that you put a supporting arm on the right side of the table as well and always use both arms to support the top when lifting it.

Given the great job you seem to have done with the table, it would be a shame if you had to do what I did with mine, which was to ditch it.

Thanks Ron. Yeah when I was making it & then finally attaching the router I had some passing thoughts whether the top would last a while :) I'll definitely check it out and see what I can do in the re-inforcement department now that I've heard your tale.

Cheers,

WILL :2tsup:

shaver59
9th July 2008, 04:24 PM
Guys, help please. Could you explain how to download these plans as it looks exactly like what I am looking for. I too have a small router but I am looking seriously at the Triton as my mate has one and swears it is the ducks nuts.
Thanks Stewie

jackliveshere
9th July 2008, 04:26 PM
Guys, help please. Could you explain how to download these plans as it looks exactly like what I am looking for. I too have a small router but I am looking seriously at the Triton as my mate has one and swears it is the ducks nuts.
Thanks Stewie

Mate PM me your emaill address and I'll send you the plans when I get home. They are in imperial though - hope your cool with that :q

Cheers,

WILL

damian
9th July 2008, 04:40 PM
Just a heads up, you can email directly. If you click on the usename at the left of screen the forum software can send an email to that person, thus bypassing the PM thing.

jackliveshere
9th July 2008, 04:44 PM
Good to know Damien :2tsup: has there always been that feature? or is that a new one with the upgrade?

Cheers,

WILL

shaver59
9th July 2008, 06:23 PM
I see what you mean but it doesn't work on yours
Stewie

jackliveshere
9th July 2008, 09:37 PM
Shaver & mac_man_luke, y'all have mail :D

damian
10th July 2008, 08:54 AM
I see what you mean but it doesn't work on yours
Stewie

Well spotted. I think I've fixed it now.