PDA

View Full Version : A Toothpick Holder Video

Stu in Tokyo
2nd July 2008, 11:28 PM
At the last FEWS meeting we had, a buddy of mine, Sugita San, came by to watch, he brought his video camera with him and took some video.

He is a graphic designer by trade, so I would expect his videos to better than mine, but man are they EVER better than mine :-

I put it up >> HERE << you can go take a look see :D

He had never seen anyone turn before, and he knows next to nothing about turning, so in his video, he offers no commentary, or such, and he may have edited out some critical parts, but you still get to see me turn, in all my glory :rolleyes: on of the toothpick holders:2tsup:

Cheers!

coffenup
2nd July 2008, 11:41 PM
thanks for the video great to see how things are made give us learners an insight into the possiblities
Regards Michael
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Manuka Jock
2nd July 2008, 11:57 PM
Top film there Stu , great turning too , nifty wee Toothpick Pot :2tsup:

but who was the clean shaven bloke on the lathe ......:D

Stu in Tokyo
3rd July 2008, 12:33 AM
Top film there Stu , great turning too , nifty wee Toothpick Pot :2tsup:

but who was the clean shaven bloke on the lathe ......:D

Well, like I said, my buddy made the video, it is very cool, and I shaved, well you see, my lovely wife had breast cancer, and so when she went under the knife, I went and stood a little closer to the shaver :D She hated, and I mean HATED the beard, so I thought I'd try to lighten her mood a bit. When she finally came out of the drugs from the surgery, she did not even notice :o :doh: :U

She has fully recovered from the surgery and is cancer free, done with her radiation treatments and all that stuff.

Cheers!

Manuka Jock
3rd July 2008, 12:44 AM
Glad that things came out well for you all Stu .

ss_11000
3rd July 2008, 03:07 AM
great video stu!

glad to hear your wife came thru well:)

billym
3rd July 2008, 08:38 AM
that is a great video
that is a great turning
and that is very great news about your wife:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
3rd July 2008, 11:07 AM
Great turning, what was the timber?
Sorry to hear about your wife and I'm glad to hear she is fully recovered :o:2tsup:
Now we expect the same quality in all your video postings:D

Cliff Rogers
3rd July 2008, 11:22 AM
:2tsup:

Stryker223
3rd July 2008, 11:27 AM
That is a grand video and an excellent turning project!!!
Thanks for the link Stu!!!!!!
Yet another challenge for me on my lathe! :)

dhurrang
3rd July 2008, 11:35 AM
:2tsup::2tsup:

Top video Stu!!! Thankyou for sharing :D

Any more vids planned for the future?

OGYT
3rd July 2008, 11:56 AM
Very well done, Stu. Pass it on to Sugita San please!
A good instruction video... and it's awesome that your Lifemate is cancer free!
Congratulations on winning... all the way 'round. :D

Jim Carroll
3rd July 2008, 01:15 PM
:way2go:

lubbing5cherubs
3rd July 2008, 03:32 PM
way cool thank you for that very informative. Might one of these days have a go at copying it
bye Toni

Stu in Tokyo
3rd July 2008, 04:31 PM
Thanks everyone!

The wood is Hard Maple:D

Dr.Zook
3rd July 2008, 04:42 PM
Great video Stu San. Excellent work by Sugita San.
Glad to hear your better half came thru with flying colors.

PS: I noticed you had shaved.

Sprog
3rd July 2008, 05:05 PM
Similar toothpick holder being turned here in the woodturning videos, scroll across to the woodturning vids.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/file.jsp?item=video/player&temp=yes

littlebuddha
3rd July 2008, 07:34 PM
Nice work on the video Stu, i like the idea of the pics before each piece is done, very good. Glad to here that the wife came out okay not a nice time for anyone. Give my best to the other half, and its amazing what you see when you turn the first bit of wood to see whats underneath, bigger shock when you shave a beard, and i think most people do not notice when you shave been there got rid then 2 days latter someone will say have you shaved.:2tsup: :rolleyes: all the best sweet cheeks:D LB

Stu in Tokyo
3rd July 2008, 07:44 PM
Similar toothpick holder being turned here in the woodturning videos, scroll across to the woodturning vids.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/file.jsp?item=video/player&temp=yes

Yep, I've seen that, but I don't agree with a number of things he does in that one, like "Sanding" the bottom of the lid and the bottom of the body.

Also, he uses a plain dowel to connect the lid to the basket, I turn that piece.

The Wood Magazine video is a really good tutorial for sure! :2tsup:

wheelinround
3rd July 2008, 07:57 PM
excellent video Stu

glad your wife is all clear :2tsup:

:rolleyes: so who was that young looking clean shaved fella

mick61
3rd July 2008, 09:00 PM
Great vid stu Do you seal the finial after using texta.
Mick:D

Stu in Tokyo
3rd July 2008, 11:57 PM
Great vid stu Do you seal the finial after using texta.
Mick:D
I sand to #400, then put a good coat of sanding sealer on it, then sand to #600, and I usually use a "Fude Pen" (pronounced Foo-day) which is a pen that has a brush tip, and the "Ink" is water and ground up charcoal, it makes stuff black, black, black, but really takes time to dry, and must be put on a porous surface. When the black is dry, I sand with some of that plastic steel wool, then turners wax.

Cheers!

lubbing5cherubs
4th July 2008, 06:45 PM
What is that kind of chuck in the Tailstock?
Toni

Stu in Tokyo
5th July 2008, 01:14 AM
What is that kind of chuck in the Tailstock?
Toni

It is just a drill chuck on a MT#2 spindle adapter, if you are meaning the chuck that is holding the drill bits.

Cheers!

lubbing5cherubs
5th July 2008, 01:09 PM
No Stu when you are holding the wood between the centres the bulky silver in the tail stock I just never seen one like that is a chuck of some kind
TOni