PDA

View Full Version : Turning? nearly too late for this Silver Wattle...!

robutacion
3rd July 2008, 02:32 AM
Hi everyone,

It doesn't take long for a tree to "decompose", but some of these Wattle species are super fast in that natural process. Obviously, having lots of moisture around does help lots.

This Silver Wattle was "pushed-over" by a tractor, just a little over a year ago, and when I first saw it I though, most of it would be ok but not so. Half of it, belongs to the firewood pile, the other half needs come careful cutting and consideration before I'm in the position to made a decision on its quality for turning. In the next few days, I will try to go through it and I will give an update on the issue.

If nothing else, I end-up with firewood and some nice pics of the country side!:D

Cheers
RBTCO

petersemple
3rd July 2008, 10:14 AM
We have a silver wattle in the front yard. Every few years I trim dead branches etc. On the times I have done it and tried to chip them afterwards they are a nightmare when dried. Very hard, and also very fibrous (or something - they don't chip cleanly - the fibres tend to stay together it gets squashed rather than chipped). It would be an interesting experiment (I've never tried working the wood in any way) but to be honest I suspect it'll be firewood.

Good Luck

Peter

robutacion
3rd July 2008, 01:11 PM
Hi petersemple,

Yes, you right, not the easiest timbers to use when very dry, but theses characteristics and those you mention, are the very reason why Silver Wattle is so well sourced for turning. I have done tool handles out of it, because they're tough. Normally (exceptions apply), the hardest the timber is to prepare for firewood, the better it is for turning...!:;:D.

Did you say, Quote"(I've never tried working the wood in any way)" :???
Shame that you are so far away from me, cause I would be inviting you to come over for a "coup", and maybe, just maybe, leaving with a "flesh and flash :Uintroduction to wood-turning":).
Hopefully, some Brisbane forumates will take on the idea. "Clean canvas", are a lot easier to work with, right guys?:roll:

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

funkychicken
3rd July 2008, 01:24 PM
Peter, you're welcome in my workshop any time:2tsup:

I have some of that silver wattle, must try it out one of these days

petersemple
3rd July 2008, 02:56 PM
Did you say, Quote"(I've never tried working the wood in any way)" :???
Shame that you are so far away from me, cause I would be inviting you to come over for a "coup", and maybe, just maybe, leaving with a "flesh and flash :Uintroduction to wood-turning":).
Hopefully, some Brisbane forumates will take on the idea. "Clean canvas", are a lot easier to work with, right guys?:roll:

No, no. you misunderstood. I've done a reasonable amount of turning - just not silver wattle.

Peter

robutacion
3rd July 2008, 11:15 PM
No, no. you misunderstood. I've done a reasonable amount of turning - just not silver wattle.

Peter

Oooops...! my apologies!
Yeah, I knew something wasn't right, how to explain the forum's membership otherwise?:doh: even tough, one do not need any timber experience to become a member, huh?

Oh well... the invitation still valid, we could have that "coup", and some "serious" wood shaving making!:wink::D.

PS: With SA Silver Wattle (the one I know best), anything under 4" to 5" diameter, doesn't show the real Silver Wattle grain colours and formation. Timber needs to be cut green, sealed and put to dry immediately. Do not store blanks (while drying) in the top of each other, and most certainly, do not use news paper (moisture absorbent), to put in between green SilverWattle blanks, unless you want to grow yellow "fungi mushrooms":o

RBTCO

orraloon
3rd July 2008, 11:29 PM
A few times I have come on wattle freshly cut at the roadside and found it to be too far gone to turn. It was decomposed while still growing. The borers are quick to move in also.

robutacion
4th July 2008, 11:03 PM
Hi orraloon,

You are absolutely right about how quickly everything attacks this tree species even when still alive (standing-up) and green. I have come across 2 different types of Silver Wattle, one is very yellow inside and thin lite colour bark, and the other a much darker colour bark, like the one in the pics of post 1. This last one shows a darker colour (cream/lite brown) as the timber increases thickness.:oo:
These timber species get attacked by different types of bacteria also, some of it well known as producing "spalting", but there is another bacteria (which I don't know the name), that attacks these trees, eating, roting, weakening the trees as far as causing total separation of the trunk and larger branches, even tough the trees look very healthy.
The pics bellow are a good example of this, tree was cut a few months ago, not far from the my house, other 2 trees near by, are now split in various locations, due to the same problem.:o:no:

The timber from the Silver Wattle of this opening thread, has been sorted today, and as I predicted, 70% end-up in the firewood pile, with the 30% left being cut for making round blanks. I will expect to lose another 5% tomorrow, when I round them and make the final inspection before sealing.
I did not take any pics today, but tomorrow I will, as for what I could see today, I'm going to get some absolutely amazing round blanks out of this lot. The spalting (which I like very much on timbers) is just stunning, the bacteria have maybe spoilled (destroyed) most of the tree but, what is left is pretty nice...!:p

RBTCO

robutacion
6th July 2008, 01:15 AM
Hi Everybody,

Just a quick update on the cutting of the Silver Wattle.
Run out of time to round anything but got the lot sorted for rounding or slab/half log sealing (painting) drying shape.
Conditions allowing, should have it rounded and sealed tomorrow!

RBTCO

robutacion
14th July 2008, 04:32 AM
Hi everyone,

I was moving some timbers around, today at my storage shed (one of them), when I come across a couple of blanks from my first Silver Wattle tree, that I forgot I had. Is obvious that they are getting done soon, but gave me the idea of getting in the computer and have a look at some of the peaces I've made out of Silver Wattle list last few years. Due to the fact that I had this thread open on this tree species, I decided to put some of those pics up, as simple samples of what can be done with this beautiful timber. Not forgetting those few gouge handles I've made out of it:wink:

Here they go;

RBTCO

orraloon
14th July 2008, 03:29 PM
It is often the case that the tricky to prepare woods look the best. A lot of work but worth it for the end result.

wheelinround
14th July 2008, 05:32 PM
:2tsup: RBTCO great score and beautiful work on what you had produced

joe greiner
14th July 2008, 11:47 PM
... The spalting (which I like very much on timbers) is just stunning, the bacteria have maybe spoilled (destroyed) ...

It's been a while since I've seen these two words so close together. In earlier quaint lingo, "spoiled" was pronounced "spoilt" (past tense). The relaxed form was "spalt" and that became a new present tense, which begat a new past tense, "spalted," and a new gerund, "spalting." In similar mode, "parcel" (still around of course) became "passel." Ain't the English language a grand ol' thing?

Joe

robutacion
16th July 2008, 02:14 AM
Hi wheelinround (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/member.php?u=16807)<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_770782", true); </SCRIPT> ,
Thanks, most appreciated.

G'day joe greiner (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/member.php?u=13380)<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_771015", true); </SCRIPT> ,

:o I will be bugged if I know why?
I shell check the origin of the "dictionary" on my spell-checker, I reckon is "broken", huh? :doh::D.
Have you tried the Oz-slang/jargon doctrinaire/dictionaire??:oo:, you would be "inspired":wink:

Cheers
RBTCO

Harry72
16th July 2008, 08:26 PM
Bowl #3 is the best, good grain placement/orientation nice work Rob

Sawdust Maker
16th July 2008, 10:01 PM
robutacion

v nice work. I especially like 4 and 7
Just goes to show, one should try all timbers, especially what some consider firewood :D

Sorry Peter, not really having a dig

robutacion
17th July 2008, 12:22 AM
Thanks Harry72, comment appreciated.

Sawdust Maker, thanks for your opinion also, and I thing you're very right about your comment on the surprises one can get some when turning some less "famous" timbers species. As far as I see it, any timber is capable to produce a "winner/keeper" or a total failure!:U.

RBTCO

Rum Pig
17th July 2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks Harry72, comment appreciated.

Sawdust Maker, thanks for your opinion also, and I thing you're very right about your comment on the surprises one can get some when turning some less "famous" timbers species. As far as I see it, any timber is capable to produce a "winner/keeper" or a total failure!:U.

RBTCO

That is one of the great things about turning you never know what a piece of timber may look like once turned and polished. It may look boring as a blank or lump of fire wood but cut a bit into it and there some strange grain pattern, colour or something going on or it could just be S#@T but that is half the fun or am I a bit strange

robutacion
15th March 2009, 10:14 PM
Hi everyone,

Another one of my old(ish) projects finished. This little (170mm x 60mm x 8mm thick) Japanese type Silver Wattle bowl, was rough turned and stabilized with Fungishield, when the timber on the post #1 of this thread was collected. This was the other piece that I finish today, after re-shaping sanding and give it a light coat of sanding sealer. After dried, a light rub with some 000 steel wool and one coat of Arganoil.

The pics aren't the final ones, (nor they are much good!:~) they were taken as I was leaving the shed, utilizing a few rare moments we had of sunshine today:C. It happens that I had the camera and the 2 pieces finished today in my hands, going to the house!:D

RBTCO

Ed Reiss
16th March 2009, 01:23 PM
lovurrrrrly turnings RBTCO:2tsup:

wheelinround
16th March 2009, 01:31 PM
Last rays of Sunshine is what that bowl should be named George very nice grain :2tsup::2tsup:

ElizaLeahy
17th March 2009, 09:18 AM
You live in a beautiful - and very wood rich - part of Australia! I look at at this cement jungle (well, maybe not that bad) and I'm jealous!