PDA

View Full Version : PDRacer and all other boats - is a lug, sprit or lateen the best?

Boatmik
4th July 2008, 01:55 AM
This was prompted by daddles on the general PDR thread.

The funny thing I was writing a reply for Luis Grauer who was asking the same question earlier in the day. While I was writing I thought, "maybe I need to put this info up somewhere".

The first question was to compare the sprit with the balance lug

I just downloaded the PDRacer plan for $20 (http://www.pdracer.info), and as we say here,esta absolutamente perfecto. Muchisimas gracias. So where do I look for your dicussions on the pros & cons of the lug rig? With all the writing you do, how do you find time to work/sleep?

The sprit rig is by far the easiest to make work well. and is much more trouble free for someone who just wants to put the sail up and go out. The mast is a bit long - but it goes on most car roofs with only a little overhang each end. YOu can get good performance without understanding much at all about sail setting.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3122/2394715811_c942f676e9.jpg

The lug rig is more compact but a little bit more fiddly in use. Not a lot - it still rigs quite quickly but it doesn't have the absolute trouble free feeling of the sprit. There is more work in making the spars. But they will go on a trailer without too much overhang and on a car roof with no overhang. You need to make quite a lot of decisions to get the rig to work really well - though my guides for both types will give you a head start.

This pic is of the launching of the first OZ PDR with the optional balance lug rig. I have put the full article up here (http://pdracer.blogspot.com/2008/07/first-oz-pdr-with-lug-rig-option.html). That is about 89 square feet of sail on that little boat folks. We have gone big because we know the OZ can handle 82 sq ft in the taller sprit rig fine and this lug can be reefed nicely.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3047/2633525904_9f49a2a358.jpg

Luis got back to me

I've owned a boat before, a Swedish Kings Cruiser(9m bermudian sloop), also a Snipe and a Lightning, but I've only sailed Gaff and Bermudian rigs.

Tom Jones highly recommends the srit rig(sail shaped like a gaffer), and you apparently prefer the lug, as does Ian Oughtred, So the question is "Where can I read up on the lug rig?"

I had planned the3 sprit rig for my Dobler, but I'm open to other ideas, and since dealing with you and reading your stuff, I'm leaning towards boatmik solutions, but I'd still like to rerad what I can. So where do I encounter your guides?

Howdy Luis,

I don't have it all in one place.
Some of the discussion is on this page
http://www.storerboatplans.com/Faq/tradrigperformance.html

But briefly - the reason bermudan rigs perform well is because they have a boom vang to control sail twist. Remove this and the traditional rigs that CAN control twist have a huge performance advantage. For example the Balance Lug was the premier racing rig in small boats, easily outclassing the gaff until the bermudan rig came along and extra bits to control the sail.

The rigs that can do this without any extra gear are the triangular sprit, the balance lug and the lateen.

I don't like the lateen a lot because as you reef the sail takes on a pretty weird shape that makes it hard to sail and control the boat. Like a low narrow triangle.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3221/2377188706_e7d37c084f.jpg

In a way the balance lug converts to a lateen as it is rigged - so I class them as close relations.

The triangular sprit is the most effective at preventing twist and is so simple to set up

The four corner sprit is a rig I have almost no time for. And in boomless configuration as per the pic below it is even more useless in performance terms - anyone who says that a boomless sail is highly efficient is either racing a super high performance racing catamaran with a curved traveller or ... is allowing the advertising prose to get ahead of the facts. Anyway ... there is a more detailed argument about boomless in the article I linked to above. There are good reasons to go boomless, but performance ain't one of them.

http://www.easthillboatshop.com/images37/1128catspawontrailor.gif

The other rigs can have sailshape and spar diameter set up to get gust response. That a gust comes, the spars bend a predetermined amount and which flattens the sail, reducing power. Then when the gust ends the spars straighten, the sail becomes fuller, increasing the amount of power the sail can develop. This allows the boat to accelerate freely in the gusts without the sailor having to do much at all.

The four corner spirt cannot do this at all - everything it triangulated and the mast bend has no control over the depth of the top of the sail. Also it is a total pain to reef because all the action is happening high above the deck. I think it is one of the most unhandy rigs ever developed. It's only real advantage in my books is it can spread a LOT of sail on a short mast.

Most who suggest other rigs are either working to criteria other than efficiency for the buck or have not spent much time carving his way round a racecourse in modern boats and is probably assumings that history is the best teacher.

There are some fine lessons in history, but as Henry Ford might have said if he had been a more reasonable man - Much of History is Bunk. And this is particularly in terms of what makes a boat sail well. Almost all advances have come from racing dinghies over the last 70 years.

I try to take the best of that progress and ally it with the traditional rigs that meet the same criteria as the modern ones. This cuts many of the trad rigs out of the list because they either cannot control twist or do not allow a dynamic interaction between spar bend and sail shape.

As far as Luis' question about getting sleep when I do so much writing ... It is 12.40am.

Best wishes
Michael Storer

PAR
4th July 2008, 05:28 AM
I have a little schooner design that uses a gaff main and fore, but the fore is loose footed and overlapping the main. It's a very powerful rig with the wind abeam and aft, but controlling the fore is difficult into the wind. My solution was to use two sheets, the first is conventional, lead well aft on a track, but the second is abreast of the main mast and well inboard, so I can haul down on the foresail and move the sail's belly to a more advantageous location for windward work. This was a common feature on west coast lumber schooners (USA) in the 19th century for the same reason. It's also a feature seen on many high end, high dollar modern racer headsails. Yep, it makes tacking the fore interesting, but I use a quick release snap shackle and set it up after the fore comes around.

Given a choice I'd use a sprit boomed, Bermudian, for the self vanging qualities and the ability to adjust sail shape is superior. It does as Michael has pointed out, require a long mast, but a two piece stick can stow in the boat or on the trailer. The clean leading edge of the lug has advantages, particularly to windward, but I have other issues with this rig, so I still lean toward the sprit rig with a jibheaded sail.

One of these days, I'm just going to have to come down there, build a OZ compliant PDR and kick some butt. Maybe using about the most unorthodox rig I can dream up.

PAR
4th July 2008, 05:52 AM
I have a little schooner design that uses a gaff main and fore, but the fore is loose footed and overlapping the main. It's a very powerful rig with the wind abeam and aft, but controlling the fore is difficult into the wind. My solution was to use two sheets, the first is conventional, lead well aft on a track, but the second is abreast of the main mast and well inboard, so I can haul down on the foresail and move the sail's belly to a more advantageous location for windward work. This was a common feature on west coast lumber schooners (USA) in the 19th century for the same reason. It's also a feature seen on many high end, high dollar modern racer headsails. Yep, it makes tacking the fore interesting, but I use a quick release snap shackle and set it up after the fore comes around.

Given a choice I'd use a sprit boomed, Bermudian, for the self vanging qualities and the ability to adjust sail shape is superior. It does as Michael has pointed out, require a long mast, but a two piece stick can stow in the boat or on the trailer. The clean leading edge of the lug has advantages, particularly to windward, but I have other issues with this rig, so I still lean toward the sprit rig with a jibheaded sail.

One of these days I'm going to have to come down there, build a OZ compliant PDR and kick some butt. Maybe using about the most unorthodox rig I can dream up.

PAR
4th July 2008, 06:28 AM
Mizzen sheeting on the above rig may prove troublesome. How about the "Great Pyramid" rig? Developed by Jay Benford a few decades ago, it has many hoist options and is a fantastic downwind rig, especially in light air. Lets face it, the PDR isn't a windward monster, so let them beat you to windward and chew them up once the sheets are well eased. Besides, you can brag about being the only square rigged PDR going and how cool is that.

PAR
4th July 2008, 06:30 AM
For what it's worth, the only thing a yacht designer truly has to offer is their opinion, which in some cases is pretty far out there.

Boatmik
4th July 2008, 09:56 AM
For what it's worth, the only thing a yacht designer truly has to offer is their opinion, which in some cases is pretty far out there.

Mine isn't! :C

Actually, thanks for the colour for this thread, a bit of fun to balance my seriousness!!!

BTW, I am glad that you think the OZ rules are worthwhile. The standard PDR rules don't really do much to ensure the boats will remain cheap. So that is why I wrote the OZ subrules - to try and stop the PDR from becoming expensive.

Be interested, seeing you come from the same mad racing background as the Midge and me if you can see many weakpoints in the OZ rules. Much of the unexpected is covered by the preamble, which is a catch-all.

It occurs to me that anyone who is going to make an outboard more pointy to get an umpteenth more performance is going to have great fun playing with PDR alternatives.

That was actually the Midge's and my idea when we started the PDR project. The two Mk1 boats have a rack for the mast step so there is a chance of radical alterations of mast rake. But we loved the way they sail so much that we never started monkeying around with them.

We hold and have held several records for the PDRs, including the largest sail area for a boat that is functional upwind and down ... simply by putting the 105 sq ft Goat Island Skiff sail on that whippy mast and sailing around (effectively and) cautiously in light morning winds. When we were told that someone had something bigger we thought about a biplane rig with one of our PDR masts on each side of the boat. In the end we couldn't bring ourselves to pull out the jigsaw to cut through the sidedecks.

One of the PDRs (Dave Gray) did by the way and has provided solid evidence that if you have a sail on one side of the boat and the leeboard on the opposite one, there is a good chance the boat will either not sail on one tack or not sail on both tacks. So if going for an asymmetrical mast and leeboard ... put them on the same side!!!

Do you know what will happen PAR ... when you street the PDR opposition in the USA? I know it will be mostly your sailing skill, but everyone will think it is the super weird rig!

MIK

Boatmik
4th July 2008, 10:25 AM
Besides, you can brag about being the only square rigged PDR going and how cool is that.

Well ... um ... there is a three masted brigantine complete with a brass cannon.

So, you have missed the chance on that!

But on the up side ... I had a closer look at those little sketches above - gee pencil and paper can be pretty! :P

MIK

Theodor
9th July 2008, 07:29 PM
I have read through the lug rig plans for the PDR, and while I can't find any comments regarding my question, I thought I'd just check here anyway .. does using a lug rig change the location of the mast compared to the centreboard? For some reason I expect it does (due to trying to find the ideal equilibrium between centreboard and sail forces), however I might be expecting a bit too much for the PDR in terms of performance.

If any changes would result in minimal performance increases, then I'm just going to forget it.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Boatmik
10th July 2008, 12:05 AM
Howdy Mark, I calculated out the lug rig to use the same mast position as the sprit rig.

So no changes at all to the hull.

Michae