PDA

View Full Version : DA NUH-- First Segmented vase

lubbing5cherubs
5th July 2008, 12:52 PM
Hi Guys and girls (of course),
I am so excited with this one. I did enjoy this very much I will be making more of them. This is the largest I have ever turned in my life but it was fun. I did learn one thing that I will be aware of for next time Before I glue the top on I will sand and finish the bottom half because I can't get down there to do it However all in all I am thrilled with this pieces. I do know there is a few gaps but I think this will improve more with practises. I am so pleased I hope you do what is your thoughts on this one. The wood is
Silky oak is the bottom and the mid section the segments are made from pine and rosewood. Finished with uBeaut shellawax glow.
bye Toni
ps I forgot to say thank you for all the guys that answered my questions to get this done for me.

Manuka Jock
5th July 2008, 01:12 PM
Toni , thats a great first , again . First segmented , first deep hollowing , first big form ........ :2tsup:

You go from strength to strength .

And it has ornamental work too eh :)

lubbing5cherubs
5th July 2008, 01:26 PM
thanks Jock. Yes I thought I better puts some ornamental work on it or Mr Wheelinaround will go mad on me..LOL
Toni

wheelinround
5th July 2008, 02:07 PM
Toni don't worry about me I am just envious and jealous of your machine/s :D

Love the segmented work and what you did at the bottom with the OT lathe

well done Toni :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Gil Jones
5th July 2008, 02:21 PM
Hi Toni,
Nice work on your first ornamental piece:2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
5th July 2008, 02:41 PM
thanks Gil and Ray,
Ray, I know you are not really up me. Just having bit of tounge in cheek with you. LOL
Toni

wheelinround
5th July 2008, 02:44 PM
:p:p back at you

artme
5th July 2008, 07:13 PM
Great effort Toni.:2tsup:
You will need alittle practice on the segmentig, but good on you.

Hardenfast
5th July 2008, 09:08 PM
Excellent work Toni! You'll quickly find more confidence with these things and learn some little tricks along the way. Segmenting is quite a fascinating field, and includes quite a few different skills.

I love it that you're prepared to have a go at anything. In fact you've already pushed past my limited abilities by adding ornamental lathe work to this piece. You will find that each piece gets a little easier and your joinery will quickly improve. Outstanding!

Wayne

Harry72
6th July 2008, 12:38 AM
Nice work Toni, sure beats making pens eh?

Ad de Crom
6th July 2008, 02:06 AM
Hey Toni, you can be proud with your first segmented turning, much better than my first.
And I know you are now in the 7th. heaven and you deserve it.
Keep em coming Toni.
Ad :2tsup: