PDA

View Full Version : C12 Drill My experience with it so far - Done

HotChips
5th July 2008, 06:01 PM
Just thought I'd share my initial - short that it is- experience with my new C12 drill.
Ok, firstly, I bought it because I am a festool fan in the regard to the quality and thought behind their tools and the design/shape just appealed to me as well. Now this drill, to me has a unusual feel when I pick it up I keep feeling I haven't got it gripped right. I keep thinking I have to change the position of my hand for some reason and I feel I want to wrap my hand around the narrow front part and not the main handle, which of course you cant do. Odd. I suppose it's just gonna take a bit longer to get the "feel" of it.
2nd thing, and one I personally would like incorporated, is a level on it to enable me from avoiding drilling holes and screwing out off square. I have a triton plunge drill which whilst a big bugger it does have the ability to drill/screw straight and I find it helps me here. Not a problem for most but for me it seems to be.
3rd: I bought this with the "special" of getting two chucks for a massive saving with the drill. I then went and got the others to fit the systainer and now I am prepped for any potential job. Awesome set, and I love the depth stop chuck for jib/plasterboard. Wish I had this when I was renovating my house. These various chucks took me a wee while to get the chuck to fit on drill correctly until I realised you must pull the back of the chuck out and push the whole chuck on to the drill- now clicks onto place. Duh! Obvious now, but no instructions to show this is required, so I was a bit frustrated in wondering why I couldn't clamp a brill bit in the jaws-drill motor just turned but not the chuck.
4: Something about the systainer system, keeping everything in one pace is great. I love this approach and quite frankly wonder why it isn't more common?
5 The drill has plenty of oomph for me, I only have the C12 with Nicad, which I chose for its size and light weight as I have a heavy drill with the triton and lugging that around got to be a pain in the wrist. I find the little torque clutch setting switch too small to easily move. Think it could be a bit bigger to grab easier. And the lowest setting still was too much for a small screw I wanted to place into the ceiling for a smoke alarm, nearly stripped the screw head.-probably ????? screws that came with the alarm.
6: No light (which is sometimes handy).
7: Quick to recharge. Nicad version nice and quick (30mins approx I'd guess) with two batteries and a charger in the kit.
8: I am left handed and so always prefer a tool that has switches central and not specifically for a right handed person. So in this regard I would prefer the forward/reverse switch moved to the top or back as my left hand knocks this switch often and find it's not set to the direction I want. I suppose I am still getting used to the feel and balance of it. Overall I am impressed and feel with more use my pleasure from it will increase. Now just to stop my habit of trying to wrap my hand around the front part of the handle....Has anyone else felt this?:rolleyes:

klauskvik
1st August 2008, 08:06 AM
Hi

My two cents worth:

Just bought the drill, have been renovating the house over the past two years with a trusty makita drill.

Must say, that I should have bought the C12 at the beginning. What a dream to work with. I have no complaints at all, has a nice feel also. Today I screwed in 1200 pcs in the finish wood of the garage with the depth stop. Really consistent operation and easy to use. Also the quick change with the various chucks is really a time saver.

Only complaint could be a depth measurement, so holes can be drilled accurately

Regards

Klaus