PDA

View Full Version : Camphor Laurel

clarky
5th July 2008, 07:01 PM
Hi all
I have just cut down a Camphor Laurel Tree. What do I have to do to dry the timber for turning into pens etc. The Boss also wants some blanks to hang in the cupboards to kill moths. If all else fails, is it any good in the fire. Regards Clarky

lubbing5cherubs
5th July 2008, 07:07 PM
Not sure of all the details but I know you got to seal the ends but don't use it as firewood. It is truly beautiful wood, love lathing it the smell just freshens the whole house upstairs and downstairs. top stuff.
Toni

artme
5th July 2008, 07:10 PM
Cut lengthwise through the centre.
Slab (backsaw) or quarter saw.
Seal ends.
Stack out of weather, particularly sunlight or excessive heat, in well ventilated area. Make sure you stcak with spacers between each layer to allow air circulation.
Sit and wait.
Give sawdust to wife to put in old stockings to hang in cupboards. Why waste timber on moths?:D:D:D

funkychicken
5th July 2008, 08:01 PM
What Artme said

Camphor is a loverly timber, nice to work and smells sooo goooood...

orraloon
5th July 2008, 08:08 PM
What Artime said. If you have big diameter bits with the good brown colour they look stunning as large bowls. Would almost be a waste to cut it up for pens. Keep some big bits to trade for other timbers if you are not going to use it. The sapwood is a bit bland and prone to fungal attack. I have stashed away a few bits and it makes real good looking bowls.

STAR
5th July 2008, 08:36 PM
I like Camphor Laurel and I believe many Woodies do to. But why is it declared a noxious weed in many areas when it is a wood worker's delight especially when many old growth forests are locked up?

ps This question is not meant to be smart @#se but why is Camphor Laurel despised.

BobR
5th July 2008, 09:04 PM
It breeds faster than rabbits!

STAR
6th July 2008, 09:36 AM
Bob, I know it breeds faster then rabbits. But with old growth forests being locked up and this species being a quick grower why does it not have a commercial use.

I only hear about it being used by wood turners and the craft industry. Does it not have any commercial building or furniture use?

ps We have a guy in our wood working group who was with the DPI Forestry dept. for 50 years. They all say he is the expert on every known tree and even its botanical name. I normally go on a Tuesday but he goes on Fridays normally but drops in occasionally to say hello.

I will ask him if he is there Tuesday or I will get somebody to ask him the reason it is not regarded as a commercial proposition. I sure do not know.

OGYT
6th July 2008, 11:20 AM
I'd like to have some of those rabbits in my yard!! :D

BobR
6th July 2008, 11:51 AM
First, I love the timber. Have quite a bit drying out at the moment including some spalted stuff. I will be interested in your friends respnse as most trees I have seen do not have nice straight trunks. Not sure if they lend themselves to being trained to produce a good market quality trunk - could be high maintenance if this were possible. Whilst this may address the commercial use of the product, I still don't believe rural land owners would be any happier. Still a pest!

hughie
6th July 2008, 12:51 PM
CL is fine for turning and it burns well to boot! Here in NSW its regarded as a noxious weed, so its cut down rather ruthlessly. Dunno if under these circumstances you could grow it commercially.

Smells ok until you have a go at a large quantity, still it keeps the bugs away in the shed.

clarky
6th July 2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have some nice straight lengths, 12-18" across and a lot of smaller logs. Do I cut the logs (mill) on the table saw (I have a big old Wadkin machine) and or bandsaw and should I leave them in longer lengths or cut them down, to dry
Thanks again
Clarky

BobR
6th July 2008, 02:52 PM
Clarky I cut my bigger pieces with a chain saw and Alaskan mini mill. the smaller pieces were done on the band saw.

groverwa
7th July 2008, 12:37 PM
And do not use the sawdust from CL on the garden as mulch - I havent tried it myself but a turner I know tells me that it is a good way to sterilise the ground.

Mike

thefixer
7th July 2008, 08:41 PM
This should give you some insight as to why it has been declared a noxious weed.
http://www.camphorlaurel.com/

Click on link 57 reasons camphors must go (http://www.camphorlaurel.com/57reasons.html) and read on. Very informative.

Cheers
Shorty

TTIT
7th July 2008, 11:31 PM
This should give you some insight as to why it has been declared a noxious weed.
http://www.camphorlaurel.com/

Click on link 57 reasons camphors must go (http://www.camphorlaurel.com/57reasons.html) and read on. Very informative.

Cheers
Shorty
If only half those reasons could be proven, you've gotta wonder what it will take before the pollies get off their thumbs and do something about it. Scary stuff :o Maybe they'll wait until it kills a celebrity :roll:

STAR
8th July 2008, 12:27 AM
The Fixer.

I only wanted one reason why C L was regarded as a pest. I had also done some research over the last few days but none came close to the definitive research study you came up with although they all agreed entirely with your report which has advanced on it further.

I do not think I will ask the person I know who worked for the Queensland Forestry Dept for fifty years especially after your report says it has been banned in Queensland. If I do iIwill carefully rephrase what I was going to say, because being fore warned is being fore armed.

Thanks

woodwork wally
8th July 2008, 11:29 PM
Hi Clarky all of us that are over 30 will remember vicks vapor rub as the only cureall for common cold:2tsup: What is one of its major constituents ? CAMPHOR:):) Anyway put your sawdust and turning shavings in glass jars with lids on to store them. A very small quantity in a lavendah bag is enough for a wardroge and the stuff in the jar doesnt deteriorate to any extent and if you get the sniffles have a small jar and lift the lid to sniff and clear the nose :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
now if you need pen blanks I will be prepared to trade some sheoak , redgum, blackwood , and whatever else I can rake up for a couple of 250 mm. diameter X 100 thick slices and pay postages both ways if you are intrested as c/l is not easy to find down:no: here BUT remember to SEAL the ends of of all logs with a good coat of wax or acrylic paint to reduce cracking :):)
Good luck with what you decide to do with it and regards to all WW Wally

artme
9th July 2008, 08:42 AM
Now,now TTIT! we can do without the cynicism! :D:D:D:D

paul collins
11th July 2008, 04:21 PM
just on the subject of camphor.there is a house 5 doors down from me just been auctioned.am hoping the new owners hate the two massive camphors in the front yard.i can see there being some really fine timber in them.looking forward to seeing them being cut down.:D