PDA

View Full Version : What cutters?

John H
5th July 2008, 10:16 PM
I was having a look at the Vectric software and it looks like it is fairly easy to use.

One of the things I thought I might try my hand at is the photoVCarve. I was wondering what sort of cutter would be best for this work. My mill's max rpm is around 3300 and I would be looking at working on wood and aluminum.

rodm
6th July 2008, 01:32 AM
Hi John,
As far as I am aware the only profile bit you can use on Photocarve is a "V" bit.
I prefer solid carbide but there is nothing wrong with a two flute tungsten tipped bit and you can use it for wood or aluminum. Use coolant or a light spray of WD40/CRC on ally as you go.
When you buy your cutters make sure the tip is sharp - some come with quite a raduis on the tip. 60 degree will give a good result.
I keep the wood off the mill as the sawdust combines with the oil and you have a natural abrasive in the ways. The mill spindle speed is not fast enough for good results in timber.
If you still want to mill timber then make sure you have shields around the job - you can make them from cardboard boxes. If you want to play with softer materials then try acrylics.
Bob (Crocky) has done quite a bit of work with Photocarve so I hope he responds to this.

John H
6th July 2008, 01:26 PM
Good point about sawdust in the ways. I think I try and shy away from wood.

I could always build a router based machine if I really get the bug to machine wood.

I was having a look around for V bits and I've only found these bur types http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Carbide-Bur-Cone-Shape-Bur-with-60-Deg-End-SJ-1M_W0QQitemZ190195667829QQihZ009QQcategoryZ12578QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is that what I should use or am I on the wrong track?

rodm
6th July 2008, 11:24 PM
Hi John
Standard two flute router bit in 60 degree V.

John H
7th July 2008, 12:14 AM
ahh no worries, thanks.

crocky
7th July 2008, 09:44 AM
Hi John,

I use a standard single flute 30 degree HSS vee bit for all of my carvings on Corian in a single pass with photovcarve. It does an excellent job :)

Have a look at Chloe a little bit futher down the list in this forum :D for the steps.

John H
7th July 2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks Bob :)