PDA

View Full Version : Another Clock

Chipman
6th July 2008, 12:46 AM
Hi All,

I found some offcuts of Queensland Walnut and decided to make another insert clock.

After completing it, I took it to my Mother's house so she could see it as she is very interested in all sorts of craft. Some people came by and commented that they would like to get one made for them. My mother said well he is busy right now, so I will ask him if I can sell you this one.

Then the discussion came up about price...when my mother told them she thought the clock insert cost about $20 dollars they offered $25 dollars! Needless to say my mother still has the clock!

This is why I would rather just use them as gifts... most people have no concept of what hand made original things are worth.

One of the best methods I have come across is where I make a craft Item and swap it for something else from another crafts-person that makes something different.

Cheers,

Chipman:)

dhurrang
6th July 2008, 09:09 AM
Hi All,

Then the discussion came up about price...when my mother told them she thought the clock insert cost about $20 dollars they offered $25 dollars! Needless to say my mother still has the clock!

This is why I would rather just use them as gifts... most people have no concept of what hand made original things are worth.

G'day Chipman,

Very nice clock :2tsup: I'm still learning to combine curved and straight lines :-.

$25 :oo: it's missing a zero at the end !!! Perhaps it's a symptom of our throw away society. Do you sometimes wonder if people appreciate the effort and skill embodied in the gifts ??? Swapping with other crafties is a good idea.

Swifty
6th July 2008, 03:13 PM
:2tsup::2tsup:Well done!! Texture looks wonderful.
Cheers

Woodwould
6th July 2008, 04:14 PM
:2tsup: Great job!

I'm afraid I'm a bit cynical when it comes to making stuff for 'amazed' potential customers. As has been said, they often don't appreciate the time and effort involved, so to avoid any unpleasantness, I normally say I'm to busy to make another etc.

I also don't do any work for friends or family (even with a written estimate) as it inevitably ends in tears; they expect 'mate's rates' and even when you do them a favour, it's never good enough. :((

echnidna
6th July 2008, 05:33 PM
:2tsup: Great job!

I'm afraid I'm a bit cynical when it comes to making stuff for 'amazed' potential customers. As has been said, they often don't appreciate the time and effort involved, so to avoid any unpleasantness, I normally say I'm to busy to make another etc.

I also don't do any work for friends or family (even with a written estimate) as it inevitably ends in tears; they expect 'mate's rates' and even when you do them a favour, it's never good enough. :((

:2tsup:

wheelinround
6th July 2008, 06:57 PM
:whs:

ravlord13
6th July 2008, 07:31 PM
G'day chipman,
Very nice clock:2tsup:
I understand your stand on selling what you produce, However I am in the position where I have to sell to live.
I make my Boxes and Clocks and put my price on them, take it or leave it.
I have a bigger problem with people who have an old clock that they want the case re-finished on.
They don't believe you when you point out the work involved and expect you to work for nothing. At least when I price a clock I have made they buy it or they don't.
I do not make special orders though, Peoples Expectations are often different to their directions.
Catch Ya
Andrew

Chipman
6th July 2008, 08:36 PM
Woodwould, I understand where you are coming from... I am fortunate in one way that it is my hobby and I don't depend on my woodwork as an income. Even when you do it for free...some will still complain! With some people I say, this is how much the materials cost and this is how long it would take me to make it. Then I ask them how much an hour they would work for... and that usually sends them away. Ultimately unless they want to have something that is unique and specially made for them, they are better off buy a commercially available item. Many of my clocks end up as gifts to fellow teachers when they leave... and I know they really appreciate it. This is one I mad for a friend who retired after 37 years of teaching.
http://www.woodworkforums.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=71174&d=1208086827 (http://www.woodworkforums.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=71174&d=1208086827)

When he got this one he couldn't speak! The first time I had ever seen him lost for words that is for sure.... So I know some people appreciate the gift they are getting.

Ravlord, as a clock 'lover" I always look forward to seeing your clocks as they are nice designs and look well made. Like you I don't like making clocks to order but prefer to design my own and then decide who to give them to. I admire people who make a living from their craft as it is not easy and many do not truly appreciate what they get. I suspect, that I would need someone else to manage sales for me if I ever tried as I am too soft!

For my clocks, I tend to spend a lot of time on the internet looking particularly at antique clocks and often combine features of several different clocks or modify them to suit what I have in mind. For example it is obvious that the mantel clock above has some of the features of a pillar and scroll clock but no pillars! Also I have found that mantel clocks can be a real pest when you have to get round the back to adjust any thing, so on this one, the clock movement (chiming Hermle electronic movement) is actually mounted in the door so it is easy to adjust without moving off the shelf.

As for refinishing stuff... I sometimes think it would be faster to build a new one!

To the rest...thanks for the comments and support! I really appreciate being able to share stuff on the WWF's

Cheers,

Chipman

ravlord13
6th July 2008, 08:50 PM
G'day chipman,
Pricing is the easy part, Selling gets hard.
What did you think of the hermle movement, I purchased 5 of them and have used 2.
I am not that impressed with them , the chimes are barely heard even when turned up fully.
I also like to have a bit of room for mistakes when cutting the fitting hole.
Catch Ya
Andrew

Chipman
6th July 2008, 09:35 PM
G'day chipman,
Pricing is the easy part, Selling gets hard.
What did you think of the hermle movement, I purchased 5 of them and have used 2.
I am not that impressed with them , the chimes are barely heard even when turned up fully.
I also like to have a bit of room for mistakes when cutting the fitting hole.
Catch Ya
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I quite like the Hermle movement! The secret is definitely how you mount them and then they are quite loud. What I have found works best is to mount the speaker on a ply back. If you get it all correct, it resonates..I might have just been lucky but the one above was a nice rich sound...from memory the back was 6 mm ply. I have done an earlier one in a solid wood case with the speaker mounted in a 13mm plywood door. This clock was not as loud or as rich but still nice... se the pics below (I suspect due to the smaller resonating volume of the clock case) Notice that I always use a full sized opening for the speaker. The mesh cover is optional and is salvaged from a cheap set of speakers from a $2 type shop. (the speaker was used in an electronics project... cheaper to buy it that way than to buy the speaker seperately!)

Cheers,

Chipman:)