PDA

View Full Version : homemade dust collection system

skeeterpeter30
23rd February 2004, 05:04 AM
does anyone have any kind of plans for a homemade dust collection system if so could you please email it to me.
thank you,

Grunt
23rd February 2004, 08:16 AM
Check out this site, everything you need to know about dust collection and then some.

http://cnets.net/~eclectic/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Make a cyclone

Grunt

outback
23rd February 2004, 06:03 PM
Do search for cyclone and mini cyclone on this site.
A couple of people have just finished making a mini cyclone (me one of them) a detailed thread showed the trials i had and the final outcome.
If you ned a BIG system make a BIG cyclone coupled with a 2HP Dust Collector.

Maybe all this is a fair bit of work, but after researching the same problem as you, I came up with the following setup.

1, workshop vac (old house vac) hooked to small ( 150 - 250 mm cyclone). This is for little hand held toys, (sander, biscuit joiner etc.)
2. build big cyclone hooked to 2Hp DC, for big toys (Table saw, table router, thicknesser)

Barry_White
23rd February 2004, 08:30 PM
Skeeterpeter30

Send me a personal message with your email and I will send you one in Microsoft Word format.

soundman
25th February 2004, 11:57 PM
check out my latest picks here http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7577
the important dimensions are there
justplug em into bills spread sheet & it will draw you a diagrame.

check wayne daveys posts about his.

do a search on cyclones

thers is lots of info there

cheers

ndru
26th February 2004, 11:18 AM
When I get round to building a cyclone I'm going to aim at welding it all together rather than using rivets.

If anyone is interested, I found some tips and safety discussion on welding galvanised steel (http://www.sperkoengineering.com/html/articles/WeldingGalvanized.pdf).

soundman
26th February 2004, 11:28 AM
If you check my post you will see that I spot welded then soldered.

I've gota say that spot welding is just magic for assembling these things.

unless you were planning on using heavy sheet even mig welding would cause too much distortion.

if you were using heavy sheet you would need access to a serious set of sheet metal rolls.

Beg borrow or steel a spot welder.
I profusely thank my mate chris for the loan of his.

ndru
26th February 2004, 11:38 AM
Soundmeister

I really like your cyclone - looks very well made.

I've got practically zero knowledge with welding. When you say "sulphuric acid as the flux", do you mean you removed the zinc with acid before to clean the soldering site?

skeeterpeter30
26th February 2004, 12:03 PM
THANKS FOR THE INFO BARRY_WHITE. IT WAS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR.

soundman
28th February 2004, 05:29 PM
CORRECTION
Hydrocloric acid.

the standard soldering flux is "killed spirits" , zinc cloride. which is made by desolving as much zink as possible in hydrocloric acid.

normal soldering flux can be a bit gutless on gal sometimes.

after you apply the acid if fizzes etc and the reaction soon exausts itself. leaving zinc cloride .inless you are too heavy handed it leaves most of the gall in place.

You must wash the job down well afterwards, you should anyway

If you havn't done any or are a bit rusty on the job find yourself an good metal work text and swat up.
bill penz has some info on his site.

three critical issues are
cleanliness.
good fit
correct amount of heat

practise on some scrap.
A big electric soldering iron is easiest.