PDA

View Full Version : WA Wood Show

Marginata
6th July 2008, 02:06 PM
So who's going to the WA Wood Show and what are you hoping to see this year?

I went to the Sydney Working with wood show a couple of weeks ago. Great show but very surprised to find it only a bit larger than Perth's

Fireguard
6th July 2008, 05:14 PM
I'm going :D:D

I've been working overtime so that I'll have some spare cash to spend:U

Hoping to get some nice thick Mallee slices, and hopefully theres going to be a few "show specials" that I might get tempted by... I'm always in the mood to buy new/more tools :wink:

whittlewomyn
6th July 2008, 05:35 PM
I want to go, i hope i'm going.

Marginata
6th July 2008, 08:05 PM
Thank goodness, I was starting to think I'd be there all by myself!

What is on the wish list?

Burnsy
6th July 2008, 08:15 PM
I'll be there,
Wish list now lests see:

Jet clamps if they have arrived in Aust yet
Jet 16-32 drum sander or Carbatech equivelent
and time comapre all the combo planer thicknesssers and drool all over the hammer
To catch up with Pops and pick up the Turner I have been trying to obtain for the last 9 months:oo:

Marginata
6th July 2008, 08:32 PM
Ah Burnsy, any movement at the station?

For those going to the show, make sure you take the time to meet Katalin Sallai and check out her work. Mike and I are proud to be hosting her at our stand and as artist in residence at this year's show. She is a very accomplished marquetry expert. I can't wait to see her work. Must confess that it isn't the sort of woodwork that I'm into doing but amazing to see what others are capable of.

Pops
6th July 2008, 08:40 PM
Hi Marginata,

Well done. You beat me to it, intended to start this post a bit closer to the Show. :) Countdown is on.

Yes I will be there. No real purchases in mind but would like to catch up with the gang for a healthy pie and chips and hear what has been happening in the sheds of Perth, behind the forum scene.

If I recall correctly, the usual practice is for the Perth gang, (usual suspects) to gather on Saturday at 12:00 midday near the main enterance.

So hands up for those that can gather on Saturday at 12:00. I will be there, fairly sure.

Perhaps we will meet some newish forum members too. :)

And YES Burnsy, I will bring the Turner for you mate, it is bored at my place, needs a new master to put it to some hard work. :)

Ah yes, as always, hope to have a chat to Terry Gordon and Colen Clenton and play with some beautiful handtools, again, not to forget to check in on Roger Gifkins as well.

Cheers,
Pops

Marginata
6th July 2008, 08:47 PM
I was just saying to Burnsy last weekend that I would be really keen to meet some WA forum members as I am reasonably new on the forums myself.

I'll make sure I'm at the entrance at12:00

Burnsy
6th July 2008, 09:00 PM
Ah Burnsy, any movement at the station?

Still waiting but that is OK, waiting time is shed time:2tsup: Erin has the flue and is over it, she thinks the baby is too comfortable where she is and won't be comin in a hurry.

Trying to finish off the wall cabinet I started over twelve months ago so there is room for Pops' Turner to join my others. Then it will be chisel rehandling time, there are about twelve Titans sitting there calling out for some attention and also looking for a place to hang. Hopefully I will get some photos posted tomorrow when I get the doors hung. I have some ideas floating around for a chisel rack that can be transfered onto a bench caddy that I think Pops will like:D

Geoff Sims
7th July 2008, 12:21 AM
Hi Marginata

I'll be going to the show this year.

Didn't go last year as I thought the previous two shows were very similar and didn't expect to see anything new.

I'm going to give it another go this year. Hopefully I might be able to pick up some show specials.

Maybe I'll see some other forum members there.

Cheers

Marginata
7th July 2008, 10:14 PM
I think it is a hard format to get too creative with. Certainly the Sydney show was just like ours but a bit bigger. Retails and exhibition space.

Mike and I are getting involved this year and helping to put together some demonstrations. Hopefully they'll be of interest to people.

BobL
7th July 2008, 11:57 PM
I'm flying OS on the saturday afternoon so can't make the Sat lunchtime get together It'll have to be Saturday morning for me. What time does it open?

Ramps
8th July 2008, 12:34 AM
I'm aiming to be there on the Saturday
If I'm alone it might be from 10am (could see you Bob) if I have to get dropped off (ie family in tow) then I hope to make it by noon ... I'll be wearing my forum shirt

Look forward to it every year ... even if it's to feel the equipment and spend a day in paradise :roll:

See you there

cheers

Marginata
8th July 2008, 10:47 PM
I think the show opens at 9:00am each day. For those unable to make the 12:00 o'clock Saturday get together, make sure you come and introduce yourself at our stand. I will fairly much be tied up there for the three days. I'm really looking forward to meeting people from the forums. We will be just up the stairs on the right as you come in the entrance.

I'm going to make sure I get a good look at everything this year.

Pops
8th July 2008, 11:10 PM
Hi Ramps and Bob,

Will be there in the morning too so will keep an eye out for you both. Remember, I have a grey beard, can't miss me. :)

Will drop in and say hello Marginata. See ya all.

Cheers
Pops

Burnsy
8th July 2008, 11:15 PM
Also plan on being there first thing Saturday before all the second hand tool bargains go:D I will be the one walking around with a Turner 5 1/2 in my hand once I have relieved Pops of it:2tsup:

Marginata
8th July 2008, 11:56 PM
So what's the stroy with the Turner 51/2?

Burnsy
9th July 2008, 12:13 AM
So what's the stroy with the Turner 51/2?

Just been trying to cross paths with Pops for the past six months to buy it off him but we keep missing each other.

Larry M
9th July 2008, 12:35 AM
Yep, I'll be there again this year. One of the highlights of the show is catching up with the "usual suspects" and meeting new ones.

Fireguard
9th July 2008, 03:52 AM
I'm going to be there on the saturday with SWMBO.... I'll be the one drooling at all the tools I can't afford... SWMBO will be the one pointing everywhere and saying "why don't you make me one of those?" :cool:

Pops
9th July 2008, 08:57 PM
I'm going to be there on the saturday with SWMBO.... I'll be the one drooling at all the tools I can't afford... SWMBO will be the one pointing everywhere and saying "why don't you make me one of those?" :cool:

Hi Fireguard,

Hey, perfect response for your SWMBO.:2tsup: That means you can say, "Well dear I will need some tools, no, lots of tools, one of those, one of those and several of those, etc". :cool:

Mind you, after this show it may be that last time you get away with that so you better make the most of it this year and hit the plastic hard. :U

See you there, you will be the one loaded with new tools. :D

Cheers
Pops

Marginata
9th July 2008, 11:05 PM
Spoke to Marinie at True Blue exhibitions today. She is providing us with an area at least twice the size of the one we had last year:hapy: The extra space will allow us to have quite a range of hand tools for sale.
We will have heaps of great projects that people have made with us over the past year. Make sure you all come and drool over the tassie oak workbench that we'll have there. It is so nice the owner can't bring himself to use it!

Fireguard
10th July 2008, 04:16 AM
See you there, you will be the one loaded with new tools. :D

If only I could get it to work that way.... It'll probably be more like "no tools, and a whole world of expectations put on me"

But it's worth a shot just incase :ok: :ok: :ok:

Wild Dingo
17th July 2008, 04:01 AM
Well... Ramps offered to whiz past and pick me up this year... but well sadly I think it would all be a tad too cruel for me to even consider it this year... imagine having to flog of your tools to pay for lawyers then going to a woodworking show where theres MASSES of tools for sale :C nah not this year Im afraid

Gotta get me a forum t shirt I guess... generally speaking Im the shortarsed fella with the wild mop of curls with a dopey grin on his dial spreading drool all over the place while madly maxing the credit card and not even bothering to consider how the bloody blue blazes hes getting everything hes buying home again... kinda miss the show when I dont get there... so many tools so many things to see :2tsup: I do tend to get rather phissed of though I must admit... usually miss ALL the demos due to some increadibly tall wide morons that refuse to make room for the shortarsed ones and stay the entire damned demo RIGHT AT THE FRIGGIN FRONT :~ But always seem to come away with tools and prices of things like the lucas and peterson mills and such... drool factor of hyperwarpdrive :2tsup:

Is that bloke who does the palm carving going to be there this year does anyone know? me and the young bloke spent ages watching his work last year :2tsup: Well worth the time to watch him... last year he was just up the stairs and to the left against a post.

Anyway thanks for the offer Ramps :2tsup: ...sorry to miss everyone have a bloody ball yer wombats :;

ps... no offence meant to tall wide forum members who always do the right thing and let shortarsed fellow forum members get a gander at the demos I was simply havin a go at those other buggars

Bodgia
17th July 2008, 10:06 PM
When is the Perth show on? I can't seem to see it on the WWW website and I'm planning a trip to the west soon - it would be good to coordinate the timing.

Burnsy
17th July 2008, 10:15 PM
8,9 and 10th of August (Friday to Sunday) open 9am - 5pm at Claremont Showgrounds

Wild Dingo
18th July 2008, 02:25 AM
Just make sure you DONT eat the tucker on offer!!! :~ Unless your partial to simonella that is :doh:

I may bitche a bit about the WA show but for some weird reason I ALWAYS seem to come away with some blasted thing :2tsup: and of course a lighter cc :C

HazzaB
18th July 2008, 01:58 PM
I'll be there some time over the weekend I will call in and intro myself, I'll be looking at everything and probably not allowed to buy any, I'm building a new shed and will be needing things so we'll see what the ATO will let me afford.

Harry B :;

Template Tom
18th July 2008, 07:25 PM
Great to hear there is some interest in the show this year. I missed last years due to a trip over East to catch up with the family. I have made arrangements to be presenting some Routing topics and I will be bringing along some of my templates and Jigs for display. I also intend to do a DVD presentation inviting you into my workshop. One of the most interesting projects I have achieved over the years is the construction of chairs for the dining room, with a bigger challenge converting them into Carver chairs.
Please look in and see what new routing techniques I have developed in the past couple of years. I welcome the opportunity to speak to as many as possible and who knows I may be able to solve your routing problems.
Tom

Marginata
21st July 2008, 11:14 PM
Just under three weeks to go. Sounds like there will be some great projects on display in this year's Out of the woods competition run by the Fine Wood Worker's Association WA. We are sponsoring the school categorires for prizes.
Looking forward to seeing some great work.

rod1949
28th July 2008, 11:24 AM
I'll be there on the Saturday, wearing me Black and Yellow Woodworking Forums shirt for the first time and then put it away for next year.

So I spose there will be a lunchtime get together.

See ya's
Rod

Marginata
28th July 2008, 11:53 AM
Be good to meet you Rod.

How about we all meet inside at 12:00 on Saturday just in case it is persisting down with rain.

We could all meet at our stand just up the stairs on the right if you like. I'm hoping to be able to have our ern there to make tea and coffee

Template Tom
1st August 2008, 01:02 PM
JUst a friendly reminder there is only six days to go before the show begins
Tom

Fireguard
1st August 2008, 02:44 PM
Only thing is we need to do is get those pesky Craft and quilt ladies out of the showgrounds first :U

rod1949
1st August 2008, 03:09 PM
Only thing is we need to do is get those pesky Craft and quilt ladies out of the showgrounds first :U

Better watch out Rob! They'll stitch you up:D.

Fireguard
1st August 2008, 05:07 PM
Whats even more annoying about it is... in order to be allowed to go to the WW show, SHMBO wants to going to the craft show tommorow... And I know what that means . . . . less spending money for me :doh::doh::doh:

rod1949
1st August 2008, 05:13 PM
Ya just gota keep saying to her "but dear you can make that" thus you're building up her confidence, getting in her good books ...and then before you know it the wood show has been and gone and you've blown all the money.

Marginata
5th August 2008, 12:14 AM
Getting close now people! Just co-ordinating pick-up of all the pieces that we'll have on display. We will also have a nice range of quality hand tools, consumables and water stones on sale for those interested.

sfrew
5th August 2008, 02:51 AM
Hope to be at the show on Friday and introduce my mate and I to you Marginata.WE will be lugging two haversacks with two Sheoak logs inside ,you see I have a desire to produce shingles and there is a bloke there who is going to demonstrate the technique for us.He comes from around Mullumbimbi and I caught up with him on the net .I have been trying for some time to get info on this art.All I have to do is supply the timber and that is where two haversacks and a good friend comes in handy
So we will see you there:2tsup:

Yawally
5th August 2008, 07:59 PM
I will be going on friday, so won't be able to meet forumites on saturday. But I have been looking forward to this for months because there is so many talented people who make great woodwork projects that inspire me to have a go. I hope to buy some clamps, cordless drill, couple of hand tools etc, maybe a dovetailer, and possibly a picture framing thingy. Any way I hope everyone enjoys the get together.:D

Ramps
5th August 2008, 10:33 PM
So where are we to meet this yr:

Just inside the door or up at Marginata's stand upstairs?

1200 Saturday??

Geoff Sims
5th August 2008, 11:48 PM
I'm going to make sure I'm there on the Saturday so I can meet up with other forumites.

Same question as Ramps. Where do you all intend to meet?

Cheers

rod1949
6th August 2008, 10:34 AM
I will be going on friday, so won't be able to meet forumites on saturday. But I have been looking forward to this for months because there is so many talented people who make great woodwork projects that inspire me to have a go. I hope to buy some clamps, cordless drill, couple of hand tools etc, maybe a dovetailer, and possibly a picture framing thingy. Any way I hope everyone enjoys the get together.:D

Hey! Bejesus I hope you're going to leave something for the rest of us:D

AUSSIE
6th August 2008, 11:48 AM
Hope your stand is rewarding for you.:2tsup::2tsup:
I wont be there.I am in Geelong:C
I will also miss Melb. and Geelong shows.:C:~
I will be in Perth then.:D
Seems I am always on the wrong side of Australia:doh:
when something is happening
Will try to get there next year all going well.:)
Aussie:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

West OZ Mark
6th August 2008, 12:22 PM
I'm not happy as I'm not able to go this year as I had planed :( but A company that I do some work for has a stall there and they have a realy nice Jarrah Slab table so go check them out if you have time. Keep your eye out for Redback Furniture and if you see them say Hi to the owners Shawn and De ( Plug Plug ):D

Please respect the rest of us that cant make it and don't post comments on how great it was after the show please! Just joking have fun :2tsup:

Ramps
7th August 2008, 12:51 AM
Hi Marginata,

Well done. You beat me to it, intended to start this post a bit closer to the Show. :) Countdown is on.

If I recall correctly, the usual practice is for the Perth gang, (usual suspects) to gather on Saturday at 12:00 midday near the main enterance.

So hands up for those that can gather on Saturday at 12:00. I will be there, fairly sure.

Cheers,
Pops

Marginata

As no one has come back to say otherwise I think we'd better stick the traditional meeting ground as mentioned above by Pops ... ie midday Saturday near the main entrance

Still keen to get up and look at the Perth WWS display and have a chin wag so don't worry ... if you see a forum shirt come up and talk ... you'll know who I am :U

Cheers mate

Marginata
7th August 2008, 11:01 AM
Good one Ramps, I was going to suggest that it would probably be best to stick with tradition and meet out the front. Weather should be good so we might like to be in the sunshine anyway.

We are just about to start loading the truck to take all of our gear over.
See you all soon:U

David

Pops
8th August 2008, 01:26 AM
Marginata

As no one has come back to say otherwise I think we'd better stick the traditional meeting ground as mentioned above by Pops ... ie midday Saturday near the main entrance

Still keen to get up and look at the Perth WWS display and have a chin wag so don't worry ... if you see a forum shirt come up and talk ... you'll know who I am :U

Cheers mate

Hi there Ramps,

Fair enough fellas', the usual it is.

For those that may be new to the tradition, we meet just INSIDE the show, near the front entrance. Just look for those loitering with intent, near the stairs INSIDE.

Will be checking out the Perth WWS display Marginata for sure, don't worry, you may end up shoowing us away in the end.

Look forward to catching up with you Ramps, remember, I am the old guy with the grey hair and beard.

Cheers
Pops

Marginata
8th August 2008, 09:30 AM
We spent all day yesterday setting up. There are some amazing pieces of work on display in the out of the woods competition area.

See you all there!

Marginata
8th August 2008, 10:32 PM
Busy day at the show today! Lots of great things to see. Lots of presentations going on at a couple of different venues throughout the day. Food and drinks are really expensive, bring your own along so you have more money to spend on tools.

Nevyn
9th August 2008, 09:01 AM
Should be there with SWMBO to catch up with everyone, been absent for far too long. No T-Shirt but will wear my trusty Foilies cap if I can find it.

Cheers and hope to see you there

Nevyn

Marginata
9th August 2008, 10:07 AM
See you there Nevyn. Looks like we should have nine or ten at the rally point. 12:00 just inside the entrance.

Burnsy
9th August 2008, 06:13 PM
Just got home, found a small contingent loitering at the gate around 12 so had a catch up yarn over a nasty burger, thanks guys, won't mention names as I am bad with them and will screw it up for sure. Derek was busy trying to get the shooting board plane tuned and working at the demonstrating stand so missed having a chat with him and Pop's was nowhere to be found so had to satisfy my Turner plane cravings with the Number 7 I just won on ebay:D. Spent some time chatting to Dave and the Perth wood school guys, sorry I did not bring my chisels along for Jay to spend the afternoon sharpening - he looked like he was sick of looking at those Marples ones:wink:

Purchases, well I could not pass up a Festool EST 150/3 for $359 (so I have now joined the club) and spent up on sanding disks to suit, also grabbed a TCT forstner bit from McJing.

Plenty of great work on display (sorry no photos) and lots of machinery to drool over as usual. Specials did not seem to be that good this year (except the sander I bought, seemed to be the only real bargain I could find). One notable dipsplay missing was Westford with their chainsaw mills, these are always pretty good to watch for a while and they were one thing I was looking forward to seeing. Saw the sawstop demo, bang and it's over, nearly crapped my pants just watching it.

Pops
9th August 2008, 09:22 PM
Just got home, found a small contingent loitering at the gate around 12 so had a catch up yarn over a nasty burger, thanks guys, won't mention names as I am bad with them and will screw it up for sure. Derek was busy trying to get the shooting board plane tuned and working at the demonstrating stand so missed having a chat with him and Pop's was nowhere to be found so had to satisfy my Turner plane cravings with the Number 7 I just won on ebay:D. Spent some time chatting to Dave and the Perth wood school guys, sorry I did not bring my chisels along for Jay to spend the afternoon sharpening - he looked like he was sick of looking at those Marples ones:wink:

Purchases, well I could not pass up a Festool EST 150/3 for $359 (so I have now joined the club) and spent up on sanding disks to suit, also grabbed a TCT forstner bit from McJing.

Plenty of great work on display (sorry no photos) and lots of machinery to drool over as usual. Specials did not seem to be that good this year (except the sander I bought, seemed to be the only real bargain I could find). One notable dipsplay missing was Westford with their chainsaw mills, these are always pretty good to watch for a while and they were one thing I was looking forward to seeing. Saw the sawstop demo, bang and it's over, nearly crapped my pants just watching it.

Hi Burnsey,

Of all days to get crook, barely out of bed today. :no: GawdDammit. :C:C Missed the one day I was looking forward to all year. :((

So sorry about not being there with the No. 5 Turner for you. I think it is cursed or it just likes sitting in the lounge. Will have to be plan C now I guess. :rolleyes:

You will have to post some WIPs with that new Festo at work.

As for the gang catch up, it will have to be next year, unless there is a BBQ before then.

Cheers
Pops

Burnsy
9th August 2008, 11:31 PM
Sorry to here you are unwell mate, you are right, bummer of a day to get it. Already been out in the shed with the Festool, just have to work out the best way to connect it to the shopvac now and learn how the speed setting affects the sanding and finish.

So common the rest of you, what did you buy?

Nevyn
10th August 2008, 11:34 AM
Sorry to say could not make it, between family and health issues we had to pass this year. Hope we can get a BBQ in before next years show.

warrick
10th August 2008, 03:08 PM
I did get to go and had a good time :D
Got there at 10:00 and left after 16:00
Went to the how to set up a workshop demo as my mate is starting out, that was interesting.
I left half way through to check out the making a router table demo, wish I hadn't.
We visited all the stands checking out all of the power and hand tools watched a few in operation.
Had a good look at the projects on display on the upper level and was impressed with the workbench that would have looked more at home in the house than in the shed

I bought some magazines, a brass square, a combo square and OH YEAH almost forgot I got one of these

http://www.carbatec.com.au/images/product/WPT-310.jpg

Warrick

BobL
10th August 2008, 05:09 PM
No excuses, completely disorganized and was still packing my bags on Sat morning for my OS departure 3 hours before the flight. Came away with my camera and international power cords - dang. Anyway - hope you all had a good time.
Cheers

lesmeyer
10th August 2008, 11:28 PM
It was good to say Hi with a quick handshake to Rod, Burnsy, Ramps , Geoff and Larry (Had a longer chat with Larry). Sorry I could not join for Lunch, the Leigh Jig demo at the CT stand was hectic on Saturday. I enjoyed the show by way of demoing the Leigh and meeting many visitors (some needed advice, some purchased and some drooled :)). A most enjoyable show in all. As some of you mentioned, the prices were generally not that great compared to the normal prices. Even the Sunday late afternoon dumping of stock seemed to not take place - except for may the z-vise and benchdog - but that is par for the course for these 2 items (inlated price earlier and regular "special" price at the end. My demo area was right opposite one of them - I hear all the "special" deals being done. :D
Les

Marginata
10th August 2008, 11:49 PM
It was great to meet (although briefly) some of the other members on Saturday. Sorry I couldn't stay for lunch.

We were just about to finish up today and ended up buying just about all the jarrah that the guy demonstrating the Lucas mill had cut over the weekend for $150:q
The ute barely made it back to Welshpool.

Had a great weekend meeting lots of people. Can't wait for next year's show.

Maybe we could arrange a BBQ once the weather starts to warm up a bit

Template Tom
11th August 2008, 10:49 AM
This year I pesented "Getting more from your router" in a new format. Instead of standing and pushing a router round where people were unable to see the total procedure I spent some weeks preparing presentations on a number of DVDs. If any of the forum members were present at any of the presentations I would be interestred in your comments as this was the first time I had use this method of getting the message over on the use of the tremplate guides.

It again was an interesting weekend and it still proved to me that a large number of router users are still not taking advantage of the use of the template guides available for use with the router.

Tom

Toymaker Len
13th August 2008, 11:03 PM
Just have to say what a great show that was and what a great bunch of people. We flew over for the show on thursday, sold toys for three days (Good Ol Toys stand) and flew back on tuesday so we didn't see much of WA. (my first visit). The shows on the east coast can only look on with envy when I see how much support from government and industry you get over there and how much enthusiasm and talent you have. Great organisation too. I am looking forward to the day when I can get over there and collect a trailer load of wood.