PDA

View Full Version : Spoke shave blades and Tormek T7

gordonwindeyer
7th July 2008, 11:16 PM
I have recently bought a Tormek T7.
One task I have been unable to sort out is how to is sharpen my spoke shave blades (they are too short to be held securely in the T7's standard jig).
I asked the people at Carbatec and was sold a short knife jig. But I still don't think that is the solution (with the bar set at its max height the bevel on the blade will be 33 degrees - bigger than desirable).
So I asked the Tormek guy at the Sydney Wood Show and he didn't know. He said he would call me back with an answer. I haven't heard from him so I will follow him up.
But maybe someone on the forum has sorted this one out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

Gordon

Hickory
8th July 2008, 04:56 AM
Not sure of your device, but I used to hold the small blades for handheld grinding... I used an old Plane iron and a cap iron. Put the blade between them like a vise, then had a large enough "handle" to hold on to. The "Hump" in the cap iron makes a nice guide for resting on the tool rest of a grinder, to get the right angle.

Unlucky enough to afford a deticated sharpening system I had to improvise and this worked quite well for me.

I just looked up the Tormek to see what youwere talking about and I don't see why you couldn't clamp the blade between a plane iron and a cap iron as I suggested and then mount in the plane iron guide.

gordonwindeyer
8th July 2008, 12:14 PM
Hickory
I will give that idea a try since I do have an old blade and capping iron.
But I am sure Tormek (which is a highly regarded - and price - sharpening machine) would have a well-proven technique or jig. I am just yet to discover it.

Gordon

derekcohen
8th July 2008, 02:06 PM
Lee Valley/Veritas make a short blade holder. This will attach easily to the Tormek blade holder. Try Carba-tec.

Regards from Perth

Derek