PDA

View Full Version : Starters Kit

newbee
24th February 2004, 04:06 AM
I am a wannabe. I have never done woodworking before, but seems interesting. I have seen starters kits for other hobbies like painting, stitching etc. They come with raw material, tools, instructions etc.

Does anyone know if there are such beginners kits available for woodworking too? I would like to know my level before I invest in this hobby.

Any other help for a starter also welcome. Thanks

DarrylF
24th February 2004, 06:25 AM
Buy yourself a book. 'The Practical Woodworker' by Stephen Corbett is a really good one to kick off with - does the basics and then goes beyond it, and has some projects as well. You'll get it at any decent bookstore.

Read the book, start a project and just buy the tools you need as you need them - hopefully reasonable quality, nothing worse than being a newbie trying to fix the faults of cheap tools.

AlexS
24th February 2004, 07:31 AM
Trend Timbers (Windsor, NSW) produced some box kits - might be worth talking to them.

Tonyz
24th February 2004, 08:13 AM
If we knew where you lived ie 'Location' we could possibly point you in the direction of clubs or such like OK

dale
24th February 2004, 08:32 AM
I was lucky in that my father in law owned a large selection of tools. Being more of a renovator that a woodworker (sorry guys! I'll get there one day!) I found that my most favourite tool was a sliding compound-mitre drop saw.

Made me realise that working with wood could be a precision occupation/hobby. Unlike the lessons I learnt from using handtools in woodworking class at school.

outback
24th February 2004, 09:47 AM
I'd just like to endorse Daryl's suggestion.
I received this book at Christmas after I started to get serious about wrecking perfectly good pieces of wood.
It starts with the real basics including tools and requirements, but moves onto the next level

DaveInOz
24th February 2004, 03:35 PM
You might consider a basic woodworking course at TAFE, they get the wood you need, you use their tools, and they show you the basics. Then if you like it you can start looking at your own projects to do at the TAFE (they call that the advanced course). At worst you will know what tools you need to do basic things and have an understanding of how to use them, so you can set up your own shed.
Of course you may hate it, but I doubt it :)

CraigV
24th February 2004, 06:13 PM
I also recieved "The Practical Woodworker" for xmas. I have hardly put it down since i got it. A great resource and a great refresher for the knowledge that had slipt through the seive since leaving highschool woodwork classes.

Enjoy

Cheers

CraigV

Woodchuck
24th February 2004, 06:46 PM
Hi there,

All the idea's said are great, Theres also the WEA I think run short course's & some of the stores where you can buy tools even run course's also.

Also you could try your local community center or school as some of these don't run course's as such but allow the public to come in & use the machines & tools & also chat to the other folks there using the same equipment is a good way to learn more about what your doing also.

A starting kit I don't know about as such because theres many facets to woodworking, that what you need would depend on what types of woodworking or the kind of projects that interest you.

But hope you enjoy it & find success, it's most rewarding.

Cheers
Woodchuck

Wongo
25th February 2004, 10:08 AM
You should also check out the photo galleries of this forum. There are a lot of projects you can get inspiration from. Some projects are quite straight forward and well described. It works for me.

Have fun

Scott

Wood Borer
25th February 2004, 02:18 PM
You could always join a woodwork club.

If you let me know where you live, I might be able to assist you with a club in your area.

- Wood Borer

newbee
26th February 2004, 03:32 AM
You guys hv been very helpful. I am in San Francisco in California. I think most of u are from Australia.

I picked up a couple of books on wood projects. I sure will get a copy of Practicle Woodworker from the library.

I feel classes are the best way of getting started. Especially the kinds u mentioned (WEA ) where they provide tools and raw material.

Wonder if they hv something similar around my area.

Wood Borer
26th February 2004, 08:14 AM
Newbee,

Unfortunately I can't help you with clubs outside Australia but perhaps the internet might reveal something suitable in your area.

- Wood Borer

Wongo
26th February 2004, 09:59 AM
Hi Newbee,

You should try this website http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

It is a US woodwork forum. I am sure you can get a lot of help there.

Cheers

Scott:)