PDA

View Full Version : Wheels and Axles

forunna
10th July 2008, 02:03 AM
Hey, how does everyone make wheels and axles?
Personally I just use a cheap hole saw and sand the edges then glue to a dowel axle that goes right through.
They are pretty plain like this.

I have bought wheels and matching wooden pegs to glue in for individual axles but I didnt feel right buying them. Might have to get a little lathe.

Stuart
10th July 2008, 04:13 AM
I have used the wheel cutter bits from Carb-i-tool which (depending on the bit) can produce a 40, 50 or 60mm diameter wheel. Apparently the latest version of the wheel cutter now has a modified hub - I haven't seen what it looks like, but it sounded interesting.

I've also turned some on the lathe, turning all 4 wheels simultaneously so they all had the same diameter.

rhancock
10th July 2008, 09:10 AM
The only wheels I've needed so far have been about 75mm across and I bought them from Reverse Garbage (http://www.reversegarbage.com.au/)in Brisbane. They're mdf offcuts from some sort of industrial process so they're cheap - about 50c each. I"ll take from photos later to post.

colbra
10th July 2008, 09:35 AM
Hi All
I have just tried to att pdf att for making wheels hope it works :)
regards colbra

colbra
10th July 2008, 09:38 AM
Hi All
regards colbra
Now I hope the rest of my day goes just as well!

colbra
10th July 2008, 09:44 AM
Now I hope the rest of my day goes just as well! This att does not belong to me I just coped it off the web hope its ok to put out there.

Yonnee
10th July 2008, 09:49 AM
I have a relative who make fairly detailed toy vehicles, and the way he makes his wheels is use one size hole saw to make a shallow groove for the rim, then a larger hole saw for the outside of the tyre. He then has the labourios task of sanding/rounding the outer edges off. He then attaches them to the vehicle with a Hex-headed wood screw and a washer sandwiched between the wheel and the body, allowing each wheel to spin independently.

In my opinion, this technique would give you more variety in your wheel sizes both in diameter and width, as well as the ability to vary your tyre profile from low profile sports cars to larger profile trucks and tractors. But then again, I love attention to detail. If you were to make a large quantity of toys, then the Carb-i-tool bit would be much quicker.

Yonnee
10th July 2008, 10:29 AM
Hi All
regards colbra

Link says PDF file is damaged...

les88
10th July 2008, 10:35 AM
They way that the wheels are turned in the drill jig looks good.But I haven't done any turning on a lathe so my question 'what about the speed'
les

Slow6
10th July 2008, 10:57 AM
I have used the wheel cutter bits from Carb-i-tool which (depending on the bit) can produce a 40, 50 or 60mm diameter wheel. Apparently the latest version of the wheel cutter now has a modified hub - I haven't seen what it looks like, but it sounded interesting.

I've also turned some on the lathe, turning all 4 wheels simultaneously so they all had the same diameter.

The carbitool bits Stuart is talking about are very good. its really important to keep them sharp and the best results come from hard and pretty timbers. Pine tends to tear out a fair bit and the wheels being a rather basic (boring) shape using a striking wood gets a far better result.
Some people throw all their exotic off cuts into the pen blank bin.. Mine get piled up next to the drill press for wheels.

love em.

colbra
10th July 2008, 03:29 PM
Hi Les
I am not sure what speed to run your drill at. To make the wheels try a couple of different speeds and see which one works the best, sorry I can't help, I use a carbi tool wheel maker in the drill press and finish of on high speed in the lathe.
Les, Yonnee said he had some problems with the PDF file, said file was damaged... how did you go, any problems I will try to find out something about the drill speeds let me know how things go. Regards colbra

Stuart
10th July 2008, 03:50 PM
It really depends on the timber. Like anything, some require more care than others. I tend to go for higher speeds on the principle that you go as fast as the machine can cope with easily, but not so fast that the wood burns. That way, the finish is the smoothest it is going to be.

However, it is also a case of suck and see.

Chipman
10th July 2008, 10:58 PM
I use three different ways...

Quickest way is to use a carbitool wheel cutter....very important to use a hard dense wood eg jarrah redgum etc. Tear out in pine is really bad

To finish them off, I mount them on a 1/4 bolt with the head cut off and mount them in the drill press and sand them up. To paint them or varnish them, I mount them on some scrap dowel.

One thing I do a little differently is to put a steel tube through them to act as a bearing...as I usually screw them on. This makes doing dual wheels really easy.
When screwing them on, I usually use a 1/4 inch nut and a washer as a spacer behind the wheel and a washer under the head of the screw (self tappers)

Next way is using a hole saw. FIRST use a forstner bit to bore out the rim area, Next using the centre mark to help you centre the hole saw to cut the wheel out. Drill press is the best tool for this. The wheels are finished the same way as above. Note by pushing the sandpaper with your finger in the centre rim area, you end up with a curved tyre shape. 35 mm pine makes nice wide "fats" or racing slicks. I still use the steel sleeve which ensures the wheels spin really well and the screws won't chop out the wooden centres. There is a product called "Dry Lube" that comes in a stick form...putting a bit of this on the screw really helps to keep things spinning well without leaking oil and grease everywhere.

Third way is to turn them on the lathe. I usually us a hole saw to cut out jarrah or redgum blanks and then mount them in the chuck...turn the outside to a profile like the carbitool wheel then turn it over and on the other side I leave the centre out past the tyre so it acts as a spacer from the body of the car. I still mount it in the drill press to sand them and use a steel sleeve. Note that to increase safety when using the chuck, use a suitable sized piece of pvc tubing to hold the wheel blank in the chuck (protects it from the jaws too) Also turn a loose blank or piece of broom handle to put inside the tube so that the wheel blank will stand up square to the chuck.

I have used wooden axles...see "Where are the toymakers" post and look at the monster truck. I used redgum axle blocks/bearings and tassie oak dowel. It is important to drill the hole about a 1 mm bigger than the axle and the "dry lube" works wonders.

I have never attempted to cut treads into tyres apart from simple grooves...

Regards,

Chipman:)

Yonnee
11th July 2008, 01:03 AM
Link says PDF file is damaged...

OK, opened it at home and worked fine. :2tsup:

Nice if you have a wood lathe.

And a huge thank you to all for replies so far. After I've built a forum member's dusty enclosure frame, I'll look at my first toy...:B maybe something simple first.

Yonnee.

Stuart
11th July 2008, 11:53 AM
OK, opened it at home and worked fine. :2tsup:

Nice if you have a wood lathe.

Yonnee.
You can still do some pretty acceptable work on a $99 GMC lathe. May not be the highest quality lathe, but for the occasional turning job for toymaking, it may be all that you need, and isn't a large outlay.

If you find that the bug then really grabs, no real loss if you upgrade.

munruben
11th July 2008, 01:13 PM
Hi All
regards colbraWorked fine, thanks:2tsup:

munruben
11th July 2008, 01:33 PM
You can still do some pretty acceptable work on a $99 GMC lathe. May not be the highest quality lathe, but for the occasional turning job for toymaking, it may be all that you need, and isn't a large outlay.

If you find that the bug then really grabs, no real loss if you upgrade.Good point.. I don't know much about lathes but for the type of work required for average toy wheels etc. I would go to the expense of one of those where I couldn't/wouldn't pay out a large sum for something I may only use occasionally. I think for around the $100 mark it would be an asset in the workshop anyway. Might have to put one on my "things to get" list.

Yonnee
11th July 2008, 02:42 PM

If you find that the bug then really grabs, no real loss if you upgrade.

Yeah, well I have a bit of a confession there... I do have a lathe that was given to me by my parents for my 21st along with a set of chisels as a belated 20th. I have never set it up as I had nowhere to put it. Now I have the room in my current shed, I no longer have any more excuses.

I just have to learn how to use it. (When the rest of the class was waiting in line to have a turn of the lathe at school, I had the teacher show me how to Arc weld.)

Y.

colbra
11th July 2008, 02:58 PM
Yep Yonne
Learning how to use the lathe could open another can of worms isn't it great fun and down the road we go

Regards colbra

Yonnee
11th July 2008, 06:34 PM
Yep Yonne
Learning how to use the lathe could open another can of worms isn't it great fun and down the road we go

Regards colbra

Yeah, I'm torn between setting it up and starting something new, or finishing off about 10 other things I'm in the middle of or am commited to start.

Yonnee. With 2 E's! :2tsup:

Stuart
11th July 2008, 06:38 PM
Grab a (small) lump of wood, jamb it on the lathe, grab a chisel and give it a try. (The U shaped one :) ) 5 minutes (literally), and you'll start to see how it can aid your toy making ventures. Do a little more practice each time - even if it is just turning a block to round.

You will discover what not to do very quickly, but also find that there is success pretty quickly as well. (Then years to master it, but the rest of us can still get something useful out of it, even without really knowing what we are doing).

Borrow some books from the library, perhaps a DVD or two.

And watch out for any days offers to open his shed as he'll pass on a massive amount of info very quickly!

But in the end, like all our tools - you don't learn by having it sit in the corner gathering dust.

Yonnee
11th July 2008, 11:52 PM
Grab a (small) lump of wood, jamb it on the lathe, grab a chisel and give it a try. (The U shaped one :) ) 5 minutes (literally), and you'll start to see how it can aid your toy making ventures. Do a little more practice each time - even if it is just turning a block to round.

You will discover what not to do very quickly, but also find that there is success pretty quickly as well. (Then years to master it, but the rest of us can still get something useful out of it, even without really knowing what we are doing).

Borrow some books from the library, perhaps a DVD or two.

All sounds too easy...

And watch out for any days offers to open his shed as he'll pass on a massive amount of info very quickly!
I'd like too, especially as I live 5 minutes walk from him, but he doesn't know me from a bar of soap.

But in the end, like all our tools - you don't learn by having it sit in the corner gathering dust.
I know, I know... :B
I've just had other priorities.

forunna
12th July 2008, 12:38 AM
Geez, start a thread and turn me back for 5 minutes and there are 22 posts.

I'll have to try sanding them on the drill.
Will also try starting the centre with a forstner too.
good ideas.
thanks.

STAR
12th July 2008, 12:39 AM
Supa Cheap also have a small lathe for $99.00. I can not give any recommendations because I know nought about lathes.

Stuart
12th July 2008, 01:27 AM
All sounds too easy...

I'd like too, especially as I live 5 minutes walk from him, but he doesn't know me from a bar of soap.

Send a PM, he won't bite (at least not at the first meeting!)
And if you wear a forum shirt and/or hat, everyone's your friend :D

I'm not dobbing into anything, but if you don't ask, you can't get, and even a chance of learning from a master turner is crazy to pass up, especially one who's workshop is so close!

http://stusshed.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/robbos04mar0747medium.jpg
This was me a year ago or so at one of 's sessions. (I've lost a bit of bulk since then!) is just out-of-shot. That's his monster lathe btw. If it doesn't look big, realise that it keeps going to the back wall that you see in the photo.

pal
12th July 2008, 01:02 PM
I use this circle jig on a router can cut wheels from 25 mm up to 190 mm. By using different router bits you can cut the different profiles before you cut the wheel from the blank.

pal

Chipman
12th July 2008, 01:53 PM
I use this circle jig on a router can cut wheels from 25 mm up to 190 mm. By using different router bits you can cut the different profiles before you cut the wheel from the blank.

pal

Sounds really interesting Pal,

Can you provide any more information on how you do it or a link to where we can get more info on the web?

Regards,

Chipman:)

pal
12th July 2008, 05:18 PM
Hi chipman,It's a bit fiddly with a normal plunge router but if you have a trimming router, which i haven't, it is a heck of a lot easier anyhow bring the blank down to the thickness of the finished wheel and using a plunge rounover bit or straight bit cut the size of the wheel, go half way through.Use core box or similar bit to run a trench between the rim and axle. If you want to you can then use a v groove bit to do a small groove between tire and rim. then when you turn the blank over do the inside profiles first and cut the wheel out with the same type of bit you used for the first side. Use carpet tape to stop the wheel moving when you make your final cut
The attachments have been copied from Patrick Spielman's book Router Jigs and Techniques.

My apologies chipman was calling you soundman,I should remember don't hear much sound any more but I certinaly make plenty of chips.

Regards

Pal

keju
12th July 2008, 09:11 PM
The pdf for making wheels cobra posted originates from Aschis Workshop (http://www.aschisworkshop.com/) .
Peter also offers a free plan for one of his scale model vehicles..... kid friendly....
have a look.... I think he has very reasonable prices!

So far I've just made other kind of toys, but Ken's made a ride on triple decker plane and is ready to try one of Peter's plans, will post when/if he gets one done :)

Juvy