PDA

View Full Version : Ryobi table saw extensions

tonyhart
24th February 2004, 09:35 AM
I have a Ryobi table saw HBT255 - which I believe has been sold under different brand names over the past couple of years. I'd like to get some extension tables for it.

I can't find anything on the Ryobi web site or at the major retailers but it is designed for something to be attached.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

`Felix`
24th February 2004, 02:29 PM
Hi Tony,

I have the same Table and I have the extension options (Wings) and Router Option.

From memory the wings cost about $40 for the pair... and you can get them direct from your local Ryobi service centre. Have a look at www.ryobi.com.au (http://www.ryobi.com.au) and click on the contact us link for your nearest location.

mikeyp
24th February 2004, 02:40 PM
Same here.

I asked someone at the Ryobi stand at the last woodworking show here in Adelaide
and was told the extensions were only available in the US.

I ended up making my own. I am getting around to posting some pictures of it..
I think I did a fairly good job.

My table extension is a sheet of 1500x1200 18mm MDF with a rectangle cut into
it (rough cut with a jig saw, finished with router and straight edges). Note,
I made the void in the middle match the size of the top of the table (not including
the ruler/fence edge) After fitting, I routed out what was required to have the
MDF sit on the ruler/fence edge.

I got some aluminium extrusion and joined it to the perimeter of the table saw
using 1/8" screws and tapping into the sides of the table. The holes in the
extrusion are loose to allow adjustment to get the 18mm height.

The MDF sits on the extrusion and is screwed in from the underside.
I also screwed some batons to the underside of the MDF to give it extra strength
and sit the whole thing on some tressles at the moment.

I made up my own fence mechanism which I will describe further when I get the
photos all done

Regards,
Mike

tonyhart
24th February 2004, 09:06 PM
Mike/Darren

Thanks for the replies and information. I am looking forward to the photos being available on the forum as I am considering a replacement fence. In the meantime I will contact Ryobi and see what is available.

Initially I had some reservations about the saw but, after a lengthy amount of time getting everything square and aligned ( which involved basically pulling the whole thing apart, including the four bolt pivot bracket, and starting from scratch ) I am reasonably happy with it. Plenty of power for what I need and simple to use. A 60T blade ( Irwin) made a big difference as well. I'm currently making a replacement riving knife/safety cover with a bracket that has lateral adjustment as well as vertical . I'll post some photos when completed.

Thanks for your help - this forum has proven to be gold mine of information and assistance and saved countless hours of frustration.

Tony

Steve0
4th March 2004, 11:29 PM
Tony,
I keep looking at this saw everytime I go to Bunnings - I don't know if you have encouraged me - you say it is good but it sounds like Grandfather's axe - "I've only replaced the handle a couple of times and recently the head - its just like new."

:D

Steve

tonyhart
19th April 2004, 11:36 AM
Steve

Sorry for the late reply.

For what you pay for the saw you get reasonable value for money. I honestly don't use it a lot, but when I do I appreciate having it. I can't justify the cost of other saws given my limited use. Even the Triton, when you add the saw, is a $750 investment and I would be hard pressed to convince the financial manager of the household that this was an essential purchase.

I spent some time getting it set up. From that point forward I've had no problems.

If you buy one with the right expectations you won't be disappointed.

Regards,
Tony H.

Dust Maker
21st May 2004, 12:40 PM
I have hust been handed down the Saw but It needs Blade change and there are no spanners with it. Can anyone tell me the sizes of spanners? Any help is highly Appreciated

Thanks

Dust Maker

riffi1
21st May 2004, 03:57 PM
I am really pleased to see some posts about the Ryobi becuae I have been tryingto get some info for ages. Every one of them that I have seen seems to have a problem witht the fence. I spend a lot of time checking measurements at front and rear of the blade but as soon as I tighten the damn thing the rear moves and is about 3mm out from the front. This inaccuracy makes it pretty useless for everthing except cutting up scraps for kindling :mad: Has anyone else suffered with this and if so did you manage to fix it? Also have people had problems with the safety guard binding as you push the board along the blade? Mine just doesn't seem to move smoothly up and down.

Any advice/solutions greatly appreciated.

ROD

Dust Maker
21st May 2004, 08:36 PM
I am really pleased to see some posts about the Ryobi becuae I have been tryingto get some info for ages. Every one of them that I have seen seems to have a problem witht the fence. I spend a lot of time checking measurements at front and rear of the blade but as soon as I tighten the damn thing the rear moves and is about 3mm out from the front. This inaccuracy makes it pretty useless for everthing except cutting up scraps for kindling :mad: Has anyone else suffered with this and if so did you manage to fix it? Also have people had problems with the safety guard binding as you push the board along the blade? Mine just doesn't seem to move smoothly up and down.

Any advice/solutions greatly appreciated.

ROD

For the fence problem look at this Thread http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=8268&page=1&pp=15

and yes safety guard is the pain in behind

<B> Can you tell me the sizes of spanners to change the Blade??</B>

:)

Dust Maker