PDA

View Full Version : Vase made of a glue up model

Ad de Crom
12th July 2008, 02:22 AM
Had a lot of different wood scraps laying around in the woodstore, like panga panga, teak, oak, yellow pine and yellow/brown meranti.
So nice for something special, and well a glue up model. Not the first time I did.
I turned free hand a vase out of it, the nicest thing is when nice spots appears.
Used my own made chuck for this turning.
The vase is 150mm in height, and 125mm in the largest diameter. Finished with two layers Glitsa and polished.
Thanks for looking.

Cheers. Ad

MALPT
12th July 2008, 02:37 AM
Very very nice - top job :welldone:

oldiephred
12th July 2008, 09:05 AM
Very nice job Ad. I can't see what the red on the inside might be, or is it a photographic "thing"?

Hardenfast
12th July 2008, 09:18 AM
Interesting effect you've come up with there, Ad. Sometimes it's surprising how these pieces finish up after you've turned the square stuff round, isn't it? Nice job.

Wayne

Rattrap
12th July 2008, 09:30 AM
nice job Ad! Any chance of a break down of the layout you used to glue up the pieces?

wheelinround
12th July 2008, 11:31 AM
Ad very nice job raising the bar yet again

Got lots of off cuts I have to go through maybe one day

chrisb691
12th July 2008, 11:36 AM
That looks great, :2tsup:

I can't get my mind around the glueup for it, can you describe it a bit please.

lubbing5cherubs
12th July 2008, 02:54 PM
beautiful indeed but may i ask how on earth did you get the oval in it. I can see the straight lines are glue up but are they angled pieces? That is just beautiful
Toni

artme
12th July 2008, 07:07 PM
Great job mate!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Toni it's a trick. The ovals are actually painted on.:D:D:D

lubbing5cherubs
12th July 2008, 07:22 PM
Great job mate!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Toni it's a trick. The ovals are actually painted on.:D:D:D

Ohh right. I beleive you Art ....thousands wouldn't though... :D:D

Ad de Crom
12th July 2008, 09:03 PM
That looks great, :2tsup:

I can't get my mind around the glueup for it, can you describe it a bit please.

Chris, luckely I have some pictures of the glue up procedure, seeing the pictures tells you enough I think

lubbing5cherubs
12th July 2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks for that very informative indeed. I can do that indeed.
Toni

Rattrap
12th July 2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks Ad, great job.

Sawdust Maker
12th July 2008, 09:54 PM
Ad
very nice!!
... and intriguing
job well done :2tsup:

joe greiner
12th July 2008, 10:40 PM
Top notch effort and results, Ad. It's amazing you got the outside slabs so perfectly centered. At such a shallow profile angle, most of my attempts would go clear off the rails, i.e. none of the ovals' tops and bottoms at the same horizons. Any special tricks you found to help?

Joe

Ad de Crom
13th July 2008, 07:43 AM
Top notch effort and results, Ad. It's amazing you got the outside slabs so perfectly centered. At such a shallow profile angle, most of my attempts would go clear off the rails, i.e. none of the ovals' tops and bottoms at the same horizons. Any special tricks you found to help?

Joe

Hi Joe, my first concern was to make in the first place every part very precisely, so I got after glueing the first sqaire box perfectly sqaire.
The next step was turning a hole in one side of the sqaire box, also perfectly centered, I have to admit, this taked me some time, to get it that way, so patiently searching for the right position of the sqaire box, by using my toolrest as orientation point.
Turned next a tenon by using my own made chuck, and glued the whole together on the lathe as you can see by looking to the building procedure pictures I posted.
Turning it into a vase free hand was the funniest part of the job, so actually not special tricks. I did this a couple of times before, so I have some experience in how to do it.

Hardenfast
13th July 2008, 09:32 AM
Thanks for that very informative indeed. I can do that indeed.
Toni

Of course you can, Toni! See how great this world of segmenting is? Mindboggling options, and some of the effects you end up with are very intriguing as to "how did he do that?".

Many thanks for the images, Ad - very helpful.

Wayne

Ad de Crom
13th July 2008, 08:54 PM
Of course you can, Toni! See how great this world of segmenting is? Mindboggling options, and some of the effects you end up with are very intriguing as to "how did he do that?".

Many thanks for the images, Ad - very helpful.

Wayne

You're wellcome Wayne, glad I was able to.

joe greiner
14th July 2008, 12:50 AM
Hi Joe, my first concern was to make in the first place every part very precisely, so I got after glueing the first sqaire box perfectly sqaire.
The next step was turning a hole in one side of the sqaire box, also perfectly centered, I have to admit, this taked me some time, to get it that way, so patiently searching for the right position of the sqaire box, by using my toolrest as orientation point.
Turned next a tenon by using my own made chuck, and glued the whole together on the lathe as you can see by looking to the building procedure pictures I posted.
Turning it into a vase free hand was the funniest part of the job, so actually not special tricks. I did this a couple of times before, so I have some experience in how to do it.

I suspected that assembly on the lathe was part of the secret. Even with perfect glue-up, otherwise centering the assembly (e.g. Celtic Knots) for turning has to be spot on for good results. Thanks for clarifying it, Ad.

Joe

Ad de Crom
14th July 2008, 04:48 AM
I suspected that assembly on the lathe was part of the secret. Even with perfect glue-up, otherwise centering the assembly (e.g. Celtic Knots) for turning has to be spot on for good results. Thanks for clarifying it, Ad.

Joe

You're right Joe, that was one of a concern, by doing that assembly on the lathe, I knew it stays perfectly centered.

Ad

steck
14th July 2008, 08:48 AM
Hi Ad,
that is inspirational stuff.
Thank you for posting the pictures!