PDA

View Full Version : Chair Identification

hap97
12th July 2008, 07:56 PM
Can a member identify this cedar chair?
Does it have a style name?
In what decade period was it made?
Was it Australian made or imported?

I have seen many of these chairs, although the back style varies the cushion is supported with a central dowel at the front.
hap97

Woodwould
13th July 2008, 01:39 PM
It's a 'balloon back' and is probably imported and most likely made from mahogany (some were made from rosewood - dark purplish appearance with black streaks) c.1860. If it is Australian, it will most likely be made of Western Red Cedar.

A single mahogany balloon back has little value, see this chair on eBay for $49 with jaus one day to go: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mahogany-Balloon-Back-Hall-Chair--Velvet-Upholstery_W0QQitemZ280242752894QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL080705094a5269
If it's WRC, then a collector of Australiana might pay a few hundred for it.

If you've got a good eye, you could compare it with similar chairs in some antique shops, or look it up in a Miller's or Lyle's guide.

Cruzi
14th July 2008, 05:15 PM
It's a 'balloon back' and is probably imported and most likely made from mahogany (some were made from rosewood - dark purplish appearance with black streaks) c.1860. If it is Australian, it will most likely be made of Western Red Cedar.

You mean Australian Red Cedar don't you?

Woodwould
14th July 2008, 05:29 PM
You mean Australian Red Cedar don't you?
Of course I do! :doh: These modern timber names are not everyday parlance for me and I easily get confused. :D

Cruzi
14th July 2008, 05:39 PM
I thought so :U, great reply none the less.

CuriousBird
7th August 2008, 07:46 PM
Hi hap97, Have a look at your chair side on. Do the legs come back quite alot (further than the top), like almost a tripping hazzard?! This would indicate it is an older-period original piece - it makes the chair more stable to sit on, and more durable for taking stress in the joints. BUT, as the back is crafted out of ONE piece of timber, legs splaying back further meant large costs. In the more recent periods, (necessity to save $ increases) meant that the legs were formed not so splayed (because they used smaller blocks of timber to save $$).

It's hard to give a date or country of make without looking at the joints, type of timber & carving work, but appears it might be a post-1900's reproduction. I agree with WoodWould, go and check out antique shops. Look under the chairs, check out the joints & carving - and compare. The straight front turned legs on this one look in the Edwardian style (late 1800's).

A very nice classic chair!

astrid
7th August 2008, 10:37 PM
just a question, how can any thing made pre 1900 be edwardian?

Astrid

CuriousBird
15th August 2008, 12:00 PM
just a question, how can any thing made pre 1900 be edwardian?

Astrid

*ahem* obviously, it's not!! :B

Edwardian period popularly quoted as being 1901 to 1910.

Sorry hap97 if I misled you in anyway, I made an error in dates (some of what I said was true! ;) I was trying to give my full repsonse to your question, as I realise you hadn't had that many responses...

I'm still a novice - newly studying and self-employed - attempting to start participating in the woodwork community - gleaning and sharing knowledge, having some fun with likeminded peeps.

seriph1
1st November 2008, 01:09 PM
any chance of some more pics - one from underneath would be good too

Chikoroll
3rd November 2008, 12:33 AM
get a close-up shot of the grain, or inside the seat rails (if not fully upholstered)

astrid
4th November 2008, 08:05 PM
I'm only guessing, but it could be the george just a few years before vicky. that would make it early william 4 I think

I'm only going on the lotusish legs, then of course it could be european, they used chairs too:D