PDA

View Full Version : found free pattern site! :)

keju
12th July 2008, 09:53 PM
Just came across this site offereing free patterns..... no signing up for anything either
The patterns are really good!
Can't beat free! :)
http://www.craftsmanspace.com/FREE-Projects/Free-kids-toy-woodworking-plans.html

juvy

Chipman
12th July 2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks Keju,

Some interesting stuff there....just remember for under threes, the smallest parts must be big enough not to be a choking hazard.

Regards,

Chipman:)

keju
13th July 2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the reminder .....
We used to say if something fits into one of those old film containers then it's too small..... sometimes it's even safer to make things big enough so they don't slide through an empty toilet roll.

Then there are the sharp edges.... sand sand and then sand again.....
or course non toxic paints.... but I love natural finishes anyway - if you look into Montessouri kindergartens... a lot of their toys are left natural.... same with Waldorf.
If you leave things natural it leaves more to a child's imagination. That's why it isn't important that you create faces or details , a child will use his/her imagination and can do a lot more if there isn't any pre drawn detail.

Juvy - old kindergarten teacher....... looooooong time ago..... :)

Chipman
13th July 2008, 07:45 PM
If you want a coloured finish...use food dye UBEAUT our sponsor sells a nice set of them and then finish with shellac (also food safe and is used to coat medications) also available fro UBEAUT...good stuff and lets keep on supporting our sponsor! I think Carroll's manage the online sales

Regards,

Chipman:)

keju
13th July 2008, 10:19 PM
I remember a few years back in the US a lot of people started using packets of Kool-aid to dye fabric..... a powder to make kids drinks you add your own sugar.... so really just flavour and food dye..... worked really well ...... did hear someone tried on wood and it also works, but I was wondering what happens to pine when so much moisture is added.

Sometimes I just use oil for finishing, works well with simple pine pieces.

I agree. let's support UBeaut .... we dont' sell a whole lot of their finishes ( we dont' sell a whole lot of anything lol) but just the other day a neighbour came and ask for more of the polish - she uses it just to polish her furniture! Doesn't do any turning or other wood working. She loves it so much she came to replace the wax she bought and only used a couple of times...... but couldn't find anymore.

I've just recently started using their sanding sealer and love it. I find it really helps smoothing down the edges on pine.

Juvy

munruben
16th July 2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the link. :2tsup: