PDA

View Full Version : W.I.P. Sit in rocking horse

Chipman
12th July 2008, 10:06 PM
When my kids were lttle, one of their favorite toys/furniture was a "sit in" rocking horse. Here is a photo of it just after finishing it and before the art work was done. ( I copied this pic from a 28yr old photo)

http://www.woodworkforums.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=77668&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1215860692 (http://www.woodworkforums.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=77668&d=1215860692)

I want to make some more for some family and "adopted family" members. So I have started again. (Sadly the original was sold before we came back to Aussie from overseas...it was made from 19mm ply from a wooden packing case)

So far, I have been looking at rocking horse pictures and have got as far as drawing the profile shape and the approximate position of the seat and foot rest. The drawing has been done in microsoft word and the rectangles on it are so I can enlarge it to full size...it is 1/4 size...I want the finished horse to fit on a 900 x 600 piece of mdf or plywood.

I have now printed the 16 rectangles out and glued the 16 pages together to get the full sized horse. The next step will be to glue it onto some 3mm mdf and make my template. I will probably have to adjust the seat sizes once I get the cut out made. Another area to watch is the length and position of the rockers...don't want the whole thing to go over frontwards or backwards with a child in it!:oo:

I would like to get onto it Tomorrow...but I need to get the apron into my shed concreted first!

Will keep you posted,

Chipman:)

munruben
16th July 2008, 09:50 PM
Looking good. Look forward to more pics as you progress

keju
16th July 2008, 10:01 PM
Chipman, this one looks an awful lot like the one you had.... might help you to make sure the plans are working right?
http://www.grampasworkshop.net/rockinghrs.html

Juvy

Chipman
16th July 2008, 10:08 PM
Chipman, this one looks an awful lot like the one you had.... might help you to make sure the plans are working right?
http://www.grampasworkshop.net/rockinghrs.html

Juvy

Thanks for that...I haave seen this one before while I was looking for rocking horse pictures.

Mine (the one in the picture) is one I made in 1979 for my son so have tried to keep my new one much the same but it will be interesting to compare the two...now I just need the time....

Regards,

Chipman

keju
16th July 2008, 10:38 PM
1979..... that doesn't sounds almost new to me! lol

here's a picture of a tiny horse I'd love to get a pattern for... my kids had one when they were under a year old... low to the ground.. not far to fall....

Hope I manage to upload it lol

Juvy

Chipman
16th July 2008, 11:21 PM
Shouldn't be too hard to draw up something like that.....maybe next time I am bored or got nothing to do!!!!!:D

1979 is when I made the one in the picture...I am trying to make another 4 Now!

That is my son in the picture...he is now 6 foot 4 and 30 years old!

colbra
16th July 2008, 11:38 PM
Well done Chipman if you don't mind I would like to copy, will need somthing like this for little bloke and his brother when he turns up at in a few more
months :2tsup:

Regrard colbra :)

keju
17th July 2008, 10:05 AM
Chipman..... you're right.... at least the horse head , seat and back would be easy to draw up, but I'm not sure about the bottom part.... to get the rockers to balance right ..... I'd hate to waste a lot of wood to find out it's not working as it should?

If anyone's interested.... a few years ago I found a motorcycle rocking"horse" on a german site... I saved it, but now can't get the site to come up... not sure if I can post it here? The pattern isn't something I think I could work with... the drawings are there, ... german measurements are like ours.... mm and cm..... no instructions..

Actually.... just looked.... I have two different ones and a cute horse swing... lots of other stuff too ..... trying to attach photos... no I didn't make any of these ....yet... but if anyone is interested let me know....

Juvy

Chipman
24th August 2008, 10:02 PM
I started off with such good intentions to get this rocking horse made and nothing has happened for so long! Excuses of course.. been sick....busy at work...trying to get my shed finished etc.etc.etc.:rolleyes:

But now SWMABO has got onto me! The little great nephew is having his "naming day" in two weeks and the horse has to be ready by then! and then there is another one for our friend's Little girl....So today, it was a solid day in the shed!

So far, all the templates have been made... side profile, joint profiles and seat profile. All the parts have been made and the joints are ready to rout out. Next it will be time to drill out for the dowel bolts that will hold it together. It will be a flat pack design. I have been able to get two horses out of one sheet of MDF.

The painting is going to be a real challenge.:(

I will endeavour to get some photos posted Tomorrow.

Chipman

keju
25th August 2008, 10:25 PM
Sheeeeesh Chipman.... saw you posted and couldn't wait for the post to open to have a look at your horses........ I'm with your wife.... come on.. hurry up..... :roll:
can't wait to see the finished horses! :)

Juvy

Chipman
25th August 2008, 10:59 PM
Keju, Me too! I want to see them finished...I can't let the little boy down now! (and it pays to keep the wife happy as well)

As promised, I have taken some pics of the progress.

Pic 1 shows the template and the side profile...I have four of these now for the two horses Size wise, it is 930 x 600 (just fits in a 900 x 600 rectangle when turned a slight angle)

Pic 2 shows the other parts cut to size... the back of the seat has a hand hold

Cheers

Chipman
25th August 2008, 11:07 PM
pic 1 shows the back template

Pics 2 - 5 shows the templates used to rout the trenches in the correct place. Note there is a left and a right template for the foot rest by the front leg.

Cheers,
Chipman

Chipman
25th August 2008, 11:15 PM
This pic shows the completed side....well almost. This evening, I used a round over bit to round all the edges over and also rebated the edges of the seat and footrest parts so that they fit in the trenches (12.5mm wide and 5 mm deep) The ends overlap the trenches so that the join is not visible.

I did a dry fit and it all holds together and balances ok and most importantly the wife hs given it her approval.

Tomorrow, it is time to cut the 25mm dowel for the handle and the rocker spaces, then drill for the dowel bolts that will hold it together. Timewise, all construction must be finished by this Wednesday evening to give me time to paint it. It is going to be a bit tight but I think it will get done...(.if not I am in trouble:D)

Cheers,

keju
26th August 2008, 02:58 PM
You are a fast worker! Dangerously close to being called a miracle worker! lol

There should be two sets of photos still coming..... one with the finished painted horses and another with horse and happy riders!!!

Juvy

AUSSIE
26th August 2008, 05:06 PM
Hi Chipman
Looking good. your pushing the time barrier a bit,Hope you have updated the colors for this lot.Love the shape,rather cute really

Buzza
26th August 2008, 10:18 PM
After reading this post all the way through, I find I don't have a router. :-

They are scary things. :oo:

The proof of this pudding will be when the "nag" is to "broken in", and the rider tells you if it works nicely, or not at all.

This is a great post, and like some of you, I too have seen some excellent rocking horses over the years.

Lambs wool for a mane is always a nice effect. Don't forget a shovel and a bag for those painted realistically. :D

Chipman
26th August 2008, 10:23 PM
Yes,

I really am pushing the envelope.... just got home so no work this evening:(( I must have at least one of them assembled by tomorrow evening!

As for colour, I am thinking dapple grey and yes there has to be a photo of the little jockey(Keiran) in it! That is one photo I am not going to miss.

Oh and just to keep me out of mischief...I have a cot to repair and the baby is due in 2 weeks!

Fun and games,

Chipman
27th August 2008, 09:17 PM
I got the horse put together this evening... Here are the pics

http://www.woodworkforums.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=81829&d=1219832216 (http://www.woodworkforums.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=81829&d=1219832216)

Next is the painting (I wish I was good at that:doh:

Cheers,

AUSSIE
27th August 2008, 09:35 PM
WOW That horse looks fantastic.:o
No need to paint it.
Well maybe you better.
Great job.:2tsup::2tsup:

keju
28th August 2008, 10:13 AM
Almost there!!!!! Now fair's fair..... YOU made it..... let someone else paint it! :)

Juvy

Chipman
28th August 2008, 11:55 PM
I gave the horse a test run with a 6 year old (really too big for this size horse - 4 or 5 max) and I found a problem...The balance was not quite right.:( Too far to the front.

This evening, I moved the back of the seat back by about 50mm and increased the angle to 10 degrees. It is all fixed now and you would never know it was changed. It also looks more balanced too. That is one of the complications of designing you own stuff...it can be wrong! but I still like the challenge of it.

I know it is strong enough... I sat on top of it and rocked it:D.
It also seems stable...with the 6 year old, it never got to the point where you would have concerns about it going over either frontwards or backwards.

Hopefully this weekend, I will get into the painting and then I can post some more pics.

Cheers,

Chipman
29th August 2008, 08:10 PM
Well it got sealed and undercoated today...now the challenge of painting it to look like a horse:doh:

Cheers,

Chipman

Roscar
2nd September 2008, 09:41 PM
Well it got sealed and undercoated today...now the challenge of painting it to look like a horse:doh:

Cheers,

Chipman
4 days and no news. or pics.
Love to see your rocking horses:roll:

keju
2nd September 2008, 10:19 PM
All right Chipman..... we'll just have to believe you when you tell us how far you got with those rocking horses... but a photo would be better then our imagination! :)

As for painting.. think I mentioned before that should be someone else's job!
Also... if you do get stuck with it... be adventurous.... dont' worry about making them look real.... kids don't care about that... if you have fun left over colours... use them!

My brother in law made a rocking llama a couple of years ago and he used up his purple and yellow, blue and some red.... it was a big hit with the kits! You can even do polka dots if you accidently get a drop of the wrong paint somewhere.... :)

Juvy

Chipman
2nd September 2008, 10:19 PM
Well it is all assembled and painted, I completed it on Sunday. I am reasonably pleased with it but it has taught me one thing, I am no artist! that is the weakest part of the finished project.

Tomorrow I will put the clear coat over it to protect the painted finish and next Sunday (7th) is delivery day and I should be able to get a picture of Kieran sitting in it.

I have another one ready to assemble and should be ready to paint again by Friday.

Here are some pics for you....

Cheers,

Chipman
2nd September 2008, 10:27 PM
I agree about the painting... the next ones are going to be pink, purple maybe even blue or green!:D

Thanks for the advice and interest

I have been a bit busy to get the pictures posted.... I had a cot to finish repairing for friends who are expecting their second girl in the next 2 weeks....got that finished Today.

Regards,

AUSSIE
2nd September 2008, 10:36 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=82447&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1220354282 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=82447&d=1220354282)I love the rocking horse chipman.
The kid in this one with the blue ribbon is a bit pale
don't you think.?
How did you put the name on the back?
Your ROCKIN:hpydans:

keju
2nd September 2008, 10:41 PM
You are one busy man!
I like the rocking horse just fine..... you don't ever have to worry about making things realistic looking for kids.... most of the time less is more... it leaves more to the imagination. Like if you make a truck and you paint it a beautiful red and detail it with ladders... yes... you get a wonderful firetruck... but if you leave it natural and without much detail kids can turn it into anything their play calls for.

Like dolls... if you paint sad face it would be hard for a child to play something happy with it, if you leave a fairly neutral face it will have much greater play value.

Juvy

Chipman
2nd September 2008, 10:48 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=82447&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1220354282 (http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=82447&d=1220354282)I love the rocking horse chipman.
The kid in this one with the blue ribbon is a bit pale
don't you think.?
How did you put the name on the back?
Your ROCKIN:hpydans:

That is just one of my wife's babies (Teddy bear fan!)

As for the name, printed it out using MS Word (size 216 font) and then used a knife to cut out the lettering to make a stencil. Used sray on contact adhesive on the stencil only and when dry, placed it on the wood...just enough tack to hold it in place without sticking to it. Then sprayed it on with gold paint.

Keju, thanks for the comments...much appreciated.

Regards,

Calm
3rd September 2008, 05:48 AM
My kids were given one of these years ago - i burnt it after about 3 weeks and ten squashed toes from kids putting them under the sides trying to on or off.

Most dangerous bloody thing i ever saw.

Good luck

keju
3rd September 2008, 02:39 PM
Awwwww...... now come on..... yes , I know one can squash little toes - (and cat and dog tails), but it shouldn't happen more then once..... then a parent would have taught the kid how to get on and off saefly and the animals learn to stay out of the way.

I think we are raising kids who have not learned to deal with life... who said kids aren't supposed to suffer a little pain here and there? How are they going to learn to be careful? Or were kids 100 years ago smarter? They had these kind of toys and they learned!
When I had cub scouts the mothers were horrified to see I let their little darlings ( 7-8 year olds) use the scroll saw. Well I had three grown ups there for 6 kids and showed them first what not to do.... only one of them got a nick, and it was so small it didn't even bleed .... but doing that and noticing it could hurt, he respected the tool.

Na.. I think we are taking all the fun out of life for the kids if we try to protect them from every little thing... let them be kids and stop packing them in cotton and rendering them bored senseless ...

Yep..... pet peeve of mine.... lol

Juvy

Cruzi
3rd September 2008, 08:48 PM
:whs:

Chipman
3rd September 2008, 09:24 PM
I guess most things can cause harm if abused... rocking horses included whether they be sit in, sit on, or spring mounted or even small toy ones.

The last thing I would ever do is knowingly make something that is going to cause an injury to anyone, let alone a small child. What I know is that a long time ago when my 2 kids were small, I made them one of these horses (picture at the start of this thread with my son actually in it) and neither of them were ever hurt. As a parent I was always with them when they were really small an taught them to act safely and to step in if something dangerous might start to happen. Still it is something worth considering.

Cheers,

rhancock
3rd September 2008, 09:34 PM
Most dangerous thing for most kids is their parents.... And yes, I've got kids, 2 of them, and I fully intend to screw up their raising to the best of my ability.

Calm
3rd September 2008, 09:45 PM
Awwwww...... now come on..... yes , I know one can squash little toes - (and cat and dog tails), but it shouldn't happen more then once..... then a parent would have taught the kid how to get on and off saefly and the animals learn to stay out of the way.

I think we are raising kids who have not learned to deal with life... who said kids aren't supposed to suffer a little pain here and there? How are they going to learn to be careful? Or were kids 100 years ago smarter? They had these kind of toys and they learned!
When I had cub scouts the mothers were horrified to see I let their little darlings ( 7-8 year olds) use the scroll saw. Well I had three grown ups there for 6 kids and showed them first what not to do.... only one of them got a nick, and it was so small it didn't even bleed .... but doing that and noticing it could hurt, he respected the tool.

Na.. I think we are taking all the fun out of life for the kids if we try to protect them from every little thing... let them be kids and stop packing them in cotton and rendering them bored senseless ...

Yep..... pet peeve of mine.... lol

Juvy

Yep i bought them a motorbike a couple of years later. and the oldest raced Gokarts as a 12 yo. No the rocking horse had the knack of tipping when a 3 year old hops in or out and catches their toes every time. It could have been badly designed but with 4 girls from 3 to 9 on a farm that was something i didnt need. No cotton wool with these kids beleive me.

Cheers

AUSSIE
3rd September 2008, 09:50 PM
Most dangerous thing for most kids is their parents.... And yes, I've got kids, 2 of them, and I fully intend to screw up their raising to the best of my ability.
Yeh Parents.Cotton wool kids they are called.You cant do this,you cant do that,you might get hurt,some stranger might take you away.
The kids grow up not knowing a thing,or what is dangerous.I think they get into more strife than kids that learn by experience under supervision.
How many times have you seen a kid on a mini bike heading straight for the fence?
No one taught the kid or showed him what to do.Maybe a pushbike for a start.
If a kid puts his toes under the rocking horse more than once-----I might be a fast learner,if I get burnt on the stove,I dont do it again .

rhancock
3rd September 2008, 09:50 PM
Seriously though, I used to be responsible for the outdoor environment at a primary school I taught at, including design of outdoor play equipment. Every now and then a child would fall off something, but once a parent complained to me about the stepping stones we had in the infant playground and wanted them removed, until I pointed out that they were designed to be the same height as kerbstones on the edge of the road and the point was to teach the kids to be able to stand on the edge of the road without falling off!

I'm sure there are many situations where knowing that your toes aren't about to be squashed by something would be useful....

AUSSIE
3rd September 2008, 09:57 PM
Seriously though, I used to be responsible for the outdoor environment at a primary school I taught at, including design of outdoor play equipment. Every now and then a child would fall off something, but once a parent complained to me about the stepping stones we had in the infant playground and wanted them removed, until I pointed out that they were designed to be the same height as kerbstones on the edge of the road and the point was to teach the kids to be able to stand on the edge of the road without falling off!

I'm sure there are many situations where knowing that your toes aren't about to be squashed by something would be useful....
Thats what I was trying to say But couldnt explain it:2tsup:

Chipman
8th September 2008, 07:54 PM
Well the rocking horse got delivered yesterday... here are some pics of the young man in his horse. Kieran is a big boy for 10 mths and it will be a few more before he is ready to go solo. He seemed to enjoy it and was all smiles as he rocked albeit while standing up (the horse was stable and did not go any where near its danger point.

After the naming ceremony, I came home and assembled horse number 2. If you look carefully, you will see how I have moved the seat back a bit from the first attempt. Once it is sanded and painted it will not show. (I have since modified my template to account for this change so the next horse will not need this modification) And then there will be another horse shortly!

Cheers,

keju
9th September 2008, 09:51 AM
That looks like one happy little fellow :)

Standing up is what they do in this age... so moving the seat back a bit was a good idea.... as long as they can still reach the handles?

Juvy

Chipman
9th September 2008, 01:19 PM
Yes Juvy, you are right, so the handle got moved back as well.

I am having a test ride with the next little boy Tomorrow to make sure it is all ok before I paint it. At least with mdf, you can change it and fill the holes and once painted, there is nothing to show.

Regards,

Chipman

AUSSIE
9th September 2008, 01:30 PM
Chipman I love the Rocking horse .
I showed my wife and the first thing she said was that it looked like me in the horse, (As a young kid) who is it,she said. ---Hard to believe.
Wont take him long to grow out of the rocker,You best upsize it for next year?
If He grows like I did ,he will eat that one for breaky soon

Ozkaban
9th September 2008, 02:39 PM
Hi Chipman,

Love to horse - I've been looking for something to make for a nephew who turns 1 in november. Looks perfect!

Is the template attached to the first post the original or the updated version with the seat/handle pushed back? Also, is the MDF 15mm thick? I couldn't quite tell from the photos.

I was about to print your template out but realised I had another software package that's normally quite useless, but it right for this job - Microsoft Publisher. You create a 'poster' publication, change the page size to 60x90 (or add a bit for the page borders), then print it to A4 - Publisher works out the joins for you. Quite nifty!

cheers,
Dave

Chipman
9th September 2008, 03:10 PM
Hi Chipman,

Love to horse - I've been looking for something to make for a nephew who turns 1 in november. Looks perfect!

Is the template attached to the first post the original or the updated version with the seat/handle pushed back? Also, is the MDF 15mm thick? I couldn't quite tell from the photos.

I was about to print your template out but realised I had another software package that's normally quite useless, but it right for this job - Microsoft Publisher. You create a 'poster' publication, change the page size to 60x90 (or add a bit for the page borders), then print it to A4 - Publisher works out the joins for you. Quite nifty!

cheers,
Dave

Hi Dave,

I have actually been using 18mm MDF

The template for the side has changed slightly from what was in the original post...the rocker is a little longer in the front now.

The position of the seat and back in the original was only ever approximate so it is different, especially since I have pushed it further back.

It might pay to wait a little until I have trialed it with an active little boy (Hopefully tomorrow and then I can make adjustments to the template (The other possibility is to draw it full size and post it to you.)

As far as the printing, I simply copied each rectangle from the page and enlarged it 4 times on a new page and printed them all out and joined them back together. In actual fact, you could simply sketch out your own. Anyway, it seems that Publisher picks up the word document ok so no problems there.

I hope this helps,

Chipman
9th September 2008, 03:14 PM
Chipman I love the Rocking horse .
I showed my wife and the first thing she said was that it looked like me in the horse, (As a young kid) who is it,she said. ---Hard to believe.
Wont take him long to grow out of the rocker,You best upsize it for next year?
If He grows like I did ,he will eat that one for breaky soon

If he takes after his great grandfather, he will need a full sized horse by the end of the year:D

Thanks for the nice comments,

Chipman

keju
9th September 2008, 06:27 PM
Oh wow..... Dave... thank you!
I have publisher, but totally forgot about it.... haven't used it in years ( old 2003 version) ... I always use adobe photoshop... enlarge things in there , then painstaikingly chop it up for printing.... always thought there probably is a better way ........... chances are there's a better one in photoshop, I just don't know about it! lol

Juvy

Ozkaban
10th September 2008, 09:50 AM
Hi Dave,

I have actually been using 18mm MDF

The template for the side has changed slightly from what was in the original post...the rocker is a little longer in the front now.

The position of the seat and back in the original was only ever approximate so it is different, especially since I have pushed it further back.

It might pay to wait a little until I have trialed it with an active little boy (Hopefully tomorrow and then I can make adjustments to the template (The other possibility is to draw it full size and post it to you.)

As far as the printing, I simply copied each rectangle from the page and enlarged it 4 times on a new page and printed them all out and joined them back together. In actual fact, you could simply sketch out your own. Anyway, it seems that Publisher picks up the word document ok so no problems there.

I hope this helps,

No probs - I can modify the template Ok, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't modifying the modified version :doh:

thanks for posting it - all of the pics are a very good guide on how to build it.

cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
10th September 2008, 09:54 AM
Oh wow..... Dave... thank you!
I have publisher, but totally forgot about it.... haven't used it in years ( old 2003 version) ... I always use adobe photoshop... enlarge things in there , then painstaikingly chop it up for printing.... always thought there probably is a better way ........... chances are there's a better one in photoshop, I just don't know about it! lol

Juvy

Glad to help! It's funny how often the right tool is there but we miss it - I'm as guilty as anyone of doing that. I'm using Publisher 2003 as well, and the only other thing I've found useful with it is making calendars each year for the family...

I've used photoshop like that too. it's a brilliant package but man you've got to put some hours into learning it. I once heard from a graphic designer colleague that if you're working with photoshop professionally it will take you something like 400 hours just to work out how to utilise all of the features, let alone all of the cool tricks you can do once you know the tools.

Cheers,
Dave

Chipman
11th September 2008, 11:43 PM
Well the second horse got tested by its new owner and his Mum likes it so that is good. What is even better for me is that I only have to sand and undercoat it... the little boy's Mum and Dad are going to paint and decorate it :2tsup:

Makes me very happy:U:):roll:

Now I have to get it tested by the little girl and then I can do the last one:) (until next time:rolleyes:)

Cheers,
Chipman

wheelinround
12th September 2008, 09:51 AM
:2tsup: Nice work Chipman

Daughter has ad request from work mate for a rocking Duck :doh: similar to your horse I have photo's of one off google search. Now the other horse is finished I hope it doesn't take as long LOL.

Ray

Chipman
13th September 2008, 05:04 PM
I took the unfinished horse around to the little girl today when I delivered her doll's bed so I could check it was right for her.

She loved it, all smiles and did not want to get out of it! It is an excellent fit for her so I won't need to change my template any more. The balance seems right and tipping over doesn't seem to be an issue.

Her Mum and Dad have chosen green and white for the horse or even just the one colour....they just like it for what it is, a kids rocking toy. But as a honorary great uncle, I want it to to be really special. I have a bit more time with this one, the birthday is the end of November. (I doubt I can wait that long! I want to see her enjoy it before she grows too big for it)

Wheel'n... (Ray) I would suggest you get some thin mdf or ply and make the shape as a template. Then trace it on the ply or mdf you will make the duck from, cut it out and then use a router with a pattern following bit... gives an excellent finish straight off the router and guarantees that both profiles are the same. Then when other people see how well you have made it, and want one too, it will be much easier to do it.

Regards,

Chipman
26th September 2008, 03:20 PM
I have been flat out building for my daughter so it has taken awhile but horse number 2 got delivered last night.

Another one to go yet! I am thinking of changing the design for this one so
I will post it when I get started.

Cheers,

AUSSIE
26th September 2008, 06:54 PM
ONYA chipman Your doing well.
Aussie

Sawdust Maker
10th October 2008, 09:27 PM
Chipman
great horse :2tsup:
Thanks heaps for the wip
I've a commission for two of a different variety, which I'll post a wip shortly

but great effort and lucky kids :2tsup::2tsup:

Petethebutcher
19th November 2008, 11:13 PM
Hi Chipman,
Have just run accross your thread. WoW what a beautifull little rocking horse. I have a grand child coming along who would love one of those. Have you made the template plans available? I couldn't find the templates that Ozkaban was talking about.Maybe I missed somthing but-----:doh:
Cheers
Peter

Ozkaban
20th November 2008, 07:39 AM
They're a word doc attached to the first post:
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=77667&d=1215860692

cheers,
Dave

Chipman
20th November 2008, 08:19 AM
Thanks Ozkaban for pointing in the right direction.
Remember that first drawing was not entirel accurate as to seat placement as discussed throughout the thread. Any queries ...contact me by pm

Actually, I have just completed another one. White with a grey tail as requested

Will post a pic soon

Cheers,

Chipman

Petethebutcher
22nd November 2008, 12:19 AM
They're a word doc attached to the first post:
Thanks Ozkaban, It's amazing what 1 can find if 1 looks in the right place. Your trick with publisher sort of worked for me. I copy/paste from word to publisher and then had problems keeping proportions when enlarging in publisher. Any tricks :~
I can't find what distance chipman used inbetween the horse cutouts. Any help in this matter would be much appreiated.

Peter

Chipman
22nd November 2008, 07:42 AM
Thanks Ozkaban, It's amazing what 1 can find if 1 looks in the right place. Your trick with publisher sort of worked for me. I copy/paste from word to publisher and then had problems keeping proportions when enlarging in publisher. Any tricks :~
I can't find what distance chipman used inbetween the horse cutouts. Any help in this matter would be much appreiated.

Peter

Hi Peter,

The distance between the two cutouts is 30cm - 1cm = 29cm
This is because all the seat parts and the large dowels are rebated/recessed by 5mm each side into the cutouts. The board thickness is 19mm and the trenches are 12.5mm wide.

the back is 25cm high

the seat is 19cm deep

the foot board is 21cm across and is centred directly under the front leg and in the centre of the height of the rockers

Horizontally, the seat is centred 8.5cm from where the back leg joins the body or 11.5cm back from where the front leg joins the body (ie from effectively the "arm pits" of the legs. Vertically, the seat is centred 5cm above the bottom of the belly. The seat is horizontal across the body as shown in the original sketch.

The back starts 3cm above the seat and to get the angle right, the centre of its trench runs in a line from the rear edge of the seat up to the top of the side cutout 2.5cm in front of the centre of the hollow where the tail joins the body. The dowel bolt is located 8cm up from the bottom of the back.

The handle (25mm dowel) is located in the centre across the neck and 12.5cm back from the eye bulge at the top of the head.

The dowels are also 30cm long and 25mm diameter and recessed 5mm into the sides. They are held in place by skein nuts (screw-in inserts) and 50mm x 5mm bolts (8 needed in all)

The seat and foot rest is held in by (6 ) 60mm x 5mm cross-dowel bolts

Note also that all joints are glued and bolted.

In the latest horse I built, I lengthened the rockers by about 50mm each end.
Currently, I am working on a scaled down version for a teddy bear.

Please remember, this thread is not about a commercial plan (or otherwise) but a record of my attempts to design and build this horse, and consequently it has developed and changed through the three build processes I have done so far. Use your judgement in the measurements and construction you use.

Cheers,

Chipman

Chipman
22nd November 2008, 08:06 AM
Here is the picture of the latest sit in horse.

Cheers,
Chipman

Petethebutcher
22nd November 2008, 10:13 AM
A big thanks Chipman.
I will make a start on mine after christmas. Takes a while to get organised when I'm 200 Km from a Bunnings:D
Well done on the new paintwork design :2tsup:
Cheers
Peter

Ozkaban
22nd November 2008, 11:49 AM
I don't have publisher on this PC, but from memory, I think if toy hold down the shift key while dragging a corner (not the sides), it will retain the proportions. I'll check again on monday...

Cheers,
Dave

Old farmer
30th November 2008, 11:34 AM
My thanks to all on this thread for the inspiration and pics.
I made a rocking horse in about 1958 for our eldest which was handed down to his brothers and sister..........very successful, and very satisfying for me.
When I have the new, tiny, workshop ready, I shall try again.
Thanks to all again.

Buzza
30th November 2008, 10:37 PM
This may help.

http://www.blockposters.com/

If you make your picture into a jpeg, you can go there and choose how big you want any picture, and the squares are A4. I have used it for a number of things, and it works great.

I am at present, considering doing a copy of a painting on the back of my chook house, and after finding a picture that I like, I found the area to be two pages high and six pages across. It's a simple as that. :cool: