PDA

View Full Version : Starting out - Basic tool set

Yehuwdiy
13th July 2008, 10:58 AM
G'day all

I was thinking of joining the ranks of wooden toy makers, for enjoyment rather than profit. I was just wondering if anyone here had any recommendations for a beginning tool set, including any recommended books.

If it helps at all the toys would be to play with - not museum pieces!

Thanks in advance for your help,

Yehuwdiy

keju
13th July 2008, 11:03 AM
I'd say it depends on what kind of toys you are thinking about..... for puzzles a scroll saw is a must have and it comes in handy for all sorts of little stuff.

For books the best bet is your local library..... just tell them what you're after and they'll find some for you.... they can also order from other libraries.

if you google " books making wooden toys" a bunch of stuff comes up:
http://www.google.com.au/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=books++making+wooden+toys&meta=

But before you spend money.... look through the free stuff! :)

Juvy

Yonnee
13th July 2008, 01:12 PM
For anything with wheels, a holesaw set would be a must. Unless you're prepared to buy ready-made wheels.

A spade bit set would also be ideal for wheels and boring holes such as windows (depend how simple the design of the toy).

forunna
13th July 2008, 02:04 PM
Howdy Yehuwdiy, (couldnt resist that one :U )
wooden toy books tend to be in the art and craft section in the library 745.592 whereas the furnture stuff tends to be at 684.08.

If you are starting with nothing a hand mitre saw would be handy, the kind where the saw is captured in a metal stand with variable angles. an electric drill of some kind, drill press would be handy but can manage with a handheld.

but then the type of toys will dictate many of your tools.

lots of Basic Technique stuff on websites and simple plans too if you want ideas even jsut picutures of wooden toys on websites can be enough to work with.

spend a few evenings jsut surfing around. (theres a term I havent heard for a while)

keju
13th July 2008, 04:40 PM
Have you checked to see if there's a local wood workers club in your area? That would be your best bet to get to know different tools and also get a lot of information/know how.
Or how about your communitiy college? Do they have woodworking classes? Be a good idea to start with something like that to get basic knowledge so you'd avoid getting frustrated.

Juvy