PDA

View Full Version : Robert Sorby ProEDGE Sharpening System

woodb
13th July 2008, 09:29 PM
Recently I saw a CD on the Robert Sorby Proedge Sharpening System and I am aking if any Woodturnes have used or seen one in operation. Going by what I saw on the CD this might be my answer to correct sharpening can any on comment on this system

Cent-A-Wood
14th July 2008, 03:17 AM
Hi, Can't say on the proedge system, but I have just purchased the wood-cut tru-grind system from Carrolls woodcraft supplies and seems to do a great job. If this is any help. Cheers, Ivor.

woodb
14th July 2008, 12:21 PM
Hi, Can't say on the proedge system, but I have just purchased the wood-cut tru-grind system from Carrolls woodcraft supplies and seems to do a great job. If this is any help. Cheers, Ivor.

Thanks for your answer I do believe that the Woodsmith store in Melbourne is the Agent for Robert Sorby tools and i am waiting his advice on how good thet are however I do not live in Melbourne and cannot get to his shop.

rsser
19th July 2008, 04:25 PM
http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/proedge.htm

A lot of darksiders like the belt sharpening medium because it keeps CS cool.

With HSS the conventional wisdom is that this is not a problem and you can blue your tool ends on a grind wheel without degrading them.

Sorby also make (or maybe used to, since it's not obvious on their website any more) a fingernail grinding jig and platform for use with an Alox wheel on a grinder. They're separate but may be combined. The fingernail jig works well in my experience; the platform is for scrapers and skews and is a bit rudimentary - you'd be better off with a Sabre or Chinese platform from Carrolls or the like.

hughie
19th July 2008, 06:55 PM
A lot of darksiders like the belt sharpening medium because it keeps CS cool.
I suspect that this 'cooler effect' is largely a suburban myth. I have experienced some darn hot pieces of the linishing belt. The thing that may prevent too much heat is the destruction of the belt. This occurs with too much pressure during the linishing or sharpening.

rsser
20th July 2008, 07:30 AM
Something else to test one day!

I guess the belt is a good option too if you don't want a concave bevel such as on a paring chisel bevel side down.