PDA

View Full Version : Timber identification, please...!

robutacion
14th July 2008, 03:11 AM
Hi everyone,

This is my third attempt to identify this particular timber, but I believe now have the missing information, that made identification very difficult so far. I did find today who actually put those large branches on top a left over timber stuff piled and ready to burn, just out of town. Anyway, to cut a long story short, the fellow did take me back to the tree from where this branch was cut from, nearly 1000 meters away. After some necessary reprimand of the responsibility of putting rubbish on someone else's private property, mainly when the gate was locked and the fence was jumped, he agreed not to repeat such silly act. Was after this when I had the opportunity to have a good look at the tree(s) 3 x large, 1 x small, get my digital camera and try to take some pics, which was near impossible with the wind blowing 100mh p/hour. Anyway, some pics are clear enough to help with the tree species identification, if is someone out there that can either recognise it or help me with the task. What do you type on a Goggle search, when you have no idea what type tree family (gene) they belong to? there are literally millions on tree species out there, using the elimination process can take months to go through it, na not for me...! So please, is anyone willing to assist me with this task?:D

Ok, here we go, first some pics already shown on previous posts and then the today's ones. You can see the similarity to the normal cooking Bay leafs but this ones have no smell! . Any Clues?

Cheers:2tsup:
RBTCO

Cent-A-Wood
14th July 2008, 06:13 AM
Hi, buy looking at the leaves, it looks very similar to a bay laurel tree that my parents had on their property near Ballarat some years ago. This is not for sure, Icould be wrong, I usually am! Cheers, Ivor.

robutacion
14th July 2008, 03:46 PM
Hi Cent-A-Wood,

Thanks for your response. Bay Laurel has indeed been mentioned as a possibility by other members on my previous identification attempts. I would be happy with it, if with the new pics I could get a definite confirmation of its true identity. The timber I got is very dry, very heavy and very hard. I kept some of the thinner limbs no less than 2" as they look straight (after cut in small sections, between 1 to 2 feet), and possibly very strong for gouge handles.
Anyone out there, with some experience on this extra heavy wood? please!.

RBTCO

BernieP
14th July 2008, 06:19 PM
G'day RBTCO

I find the best wood id site is http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/indextotal.htm
have a look through there, takes a while to load but very handy.

Cheers
Bernie

robutacion
16th July 2008, 03:00 AM
Hi BernieP,

Thanks for the link. Had a look, handy to have, shame that doesn't have most Aussie natives and lots of other tree species growing here, but never the less, another good source of information, thank you.:D

Cheers
RBTCO

woodwork wally
16th July 2008, 11:10 PM
Hi RBTCO I am very inclined to go Bay Laurel also as loks very much like one we had before ashh wednesday fires I think a nursery should be able to confirm should be good attractive wood to turn if it is B>L> Regards for now WW.Wally

quercus
16th July 2008, 11:52 PM
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but definitely does NOT look like Bay laurel to me. Bay Laurel has a flat leaf, this has curled edges > Bay laurel is easily identified by the aromatic smell of crushed leaves. It's growth habit is a bit different as well.

My bet is New Zealand Christmas tree - Metrosideros tomentosa. It is covered in red flowers around chrissy. I wouldn't bet the house on it though, if you could get some more photos of the leaves without wind, I'd be a bit more sure.

If you cut and paste Metrosideros tomentosa into google, you may get some idea if it is what I think it may be.

quercus
16th July 2008, 11:53 PM
Another indication it may be a NZ chrissy tree is if it is growing in a coastal area, as they are very well suited to copping coastal sea spray and winds.

robutacion
17th July 2008, 01:03 AM
Hi everyone,

woodwork wally, as much as I would be satisfied if is/was Bay Laurel, so far every search I done under that name was not a hit. Indeed, it seems that under Bay Laurel, they don't recognise any similar tree in appearance (mainly leaf), without the distinct bay leaf smell, which is not the case with this one. Another particular with this timber is the heavy weight shown even on small branches. This timber is not green as such, as it as been cut for a year, the moisture content reads about 16%, and I thing most of that is from the rain it fell on it, just before I put it under cover, about 3 months ago!. I haven't yet had the chance to turn it but you're right it does appear to be a very attractive wood.:D

quercus, as much as I don't want to disappoint you, I reckon you're miles away...!
I believe, I was quite familiar with the New Zealand Christmas tree - Metrosideros tomentosa, you mentioned but after I re-checked with a Google search, I can certainly say, sorry that ain't it...!
The location is not that coastal, with a reading of 15,63km, as the crow fly (straight line) to the nearest coastal point, passing through part of the known Adelaide Hills.
Nevertheless, your suggestions are appreciated, thanks.:)

I will try to get some more pics, when the weather allows me...!:((

RBTCO

Caveman
17th July 2008, 04:45 PM
Hey RBTCO - how about Turpentine tree - Syncarpia glomulifera (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turpentine tree - Syncarpia_glomulifera) :shrug:

artme
17th July 2008, 05:42 PM
Is that the same as the Australian Turpentine. Too lazy to Google. :D Australian Turpentine is vastly different to that tree.

Caveman
17th July 2008, 06:39 PM
According to Wikipedia:

"Turpentine Tree may refer to:

Canarium australianum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canarium_australianum), native to Australia and Papua New Guinea.
Pistacia terebinthus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistacia_terebinthus), native to the Mediterranean region and also the Canary Islands.
Syncarpia glomulifera (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncarpia_glomulifera), native to Australia. "
I have seen turpentine trees (Syncarpia glomulifera) growing here and they look rather like RBTCO's picture - hence the suggestion.

robutacion
17th July 2008, 11:47 PM
Hi Caveman

Interesting suggestion, thanks:D. I've never heard of it so, after some Google, I have to say, sorry, isn't that either! this unknown tree, has a much darker leaf and the tree shape is quite different. Is one other tree growing behind the building but this one was left to grow like a shrub/bush, this has a very thick foliage and start from ground level.

Another interesting thing is that, is no signs of any fruit, pod, or other nor I ever remember to see any flower on it:?. I will ask to some of the people from the buildings about this, as soon as I have the chance. The same goes for, some extra pics.

RBTCO

quercus
20th July 2008, 10:47 PM
My money is still on one of the Metrosideros,,,,