PDA

View Full Version : Easy Rougher Ci1 for loan to forum members

jefferson
14th July 2008, 05:01 PM
Last week I ordered a Ci1 from Craig Jackson at Easy Wood Tools in the States after watching Craig and Stu on the net.

The tool arrived today - with a bonus Ci1 plus some free cutters for me to loan out to interested turners. My brother has already put his name on it!

But given the gesture from Craig, I was thinking that interested forum members might like to try the tool out.

I already owe some favours to DJ and Big Shed, so they have first dibs on it if they want.

After that, please circulate QUICKLY - within a week. You pay the postage to the next recipient, with the last one sending it back to me in say 3 or 4 months. Or more, if there is real interest.

I'll send the tool out with the spare cutters which won't last forever, so please don't blunt them all. I'm sure you can order some cutters from Craig in advance if you want - $56 US for 4 plus postage. Not an overly expensive exercise for those thinking about a Ci1 without any risk. (The cutters give you effectively 2 "sharpens", or 4 if you only use one edge - unlikely I think).

Or is there a better way of sharing this around? It would be an honesty policy.

I've had a crack at a hollowing a lidded box right-handed and then my natural lefty way with the lathe spinning in reverse. So far, the tool works as advertised. Best at higher speeds when plunge-cutting. Much easier for me than the gouge, but I am just a novice.

PS If Big Shed and DJ don't want the tool, whoever gets it will need to glue the cutter into the handle with 2 part epoxy, as that's how they are shipped.

Jeff

tea lady
14th July 2008, 06:07 PM
It could come to the next turn fest! Do a Shed fest tour or something. :2tsup:

BTW. When is the next Melbourne Turnfest? :? (hint, hint.:D)

Cliff Rogers
14th July 2008, 06:25 PM
I have a couple of the tips & I am trying them out.
My results are posted in this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=75119).

Sawdust Maker
14th July 2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks Jeff, you're a trooper. How did you manage to convince them of that :2tsup:
I wouldn't mind having a go at some stage - no super hurry, so if it wends it's way to Sydney - I'd be in.
Is there ever a Sydney Turnfest? :?

Actually I'd be interested to see what Cliff would have to say using this shaft with the cutters vis a vis the McJing version.

DJ’s Timber
14th July 2008, 08:16 PM
A very generous offer Jeff, one that I will take you up on :2tsup: PM on its way.

As Tea Lady says, must be time for the next turnfest :U think we might have to key one in very soon me thinks, got the Plane making day here on the Sat 2nd of August, if it's not too short a notice maybe we could have a mini Turnfest on the Sunday :shrug:

New thread here for the Mini-Turnfest (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=75737)

Big Shed
14th July 2008, 08:48 PM
Yes indeed, a very generous offer Jeff!:2tsup:

I'd love to have a go after DJ, sounds great.

dai sensei
14th July 2008, 09:21 PM
A very generous offer Jeff, one that I will take you up on :2tsup: PM on its way.

As Tea Lady says, must be time for the next turnfest :U think we might have to key one in very soon me thinks, got the Plane making day here on the Sat 2nd of August, if it's not too short a notice maybe we could have a mini Turnfest on the Sunday :shrug:

I'll be in for a mini turnfest on the Sunday if you can swing it. I also got my Easy Rougher today, so could bring it with me, just have to make a handle in the mean time.

Calm
14th July 2008, 09:35 PM

Is this so that one shed cleanup will do both events??:D:D:D

I'M IN:2tsup:

cheers

jefferson
14th July 2008, 10:06 PM
OK. it sounds like we have some action happening.

I will post the tool to DJ on Wednesday (no car out in here, diff gone). Big Shed is next, so DJ when you're done, can you talk with him? After that, who knows.

As most of you know, I know very little about turning, so any more stuff like that from Cliff would be great. I'll be trying the Rougher out on some 3 inch Murray Pine tomorrow and might report back if all works out.

Jeff

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th July 2008, 01:40 AM

So, you got an area in mind where overnighters can set up their tents? :innocent:

DJ’s Timber
15th July 2008, 11:30 AM
So, you got an area in mind where overnighters can set up their tents? :innocent:

Oh lets see :think:, I'm sure I'll be able to accommodate a few if necessary :U

WOODbTURNER
15th July 2008, 02:07 PM
There are a few threads about the Ci1 Tool on this forum so I'll stick to this one.
I've had mine for a few weeks now and reckon it's great.
Cliff mentioned having trouble with tear out. I wonder if its because of the damp wood or the cutter holder profile that Cliff has used. The shaft that Craig makes is square and supports the cutters 100% on their base (see photos) whereas Cliff's is rounded off at the tip. With Craig's shaft there is no noticeable rocking or flexing even when using one hand as in Craig's video.
I bought mine to rough out burls and as I said, works great as long as you use a full face mask and glove. The Chip Deflector is a bit of a pain. The hard gum burl in the photos ended up with just about no tear out. It will rough out and will also give fine shear like cuts. The photos shows the surface as cut by the Ci1 with no sanding.
I don't know how long the cutters will stay sharp, but there was'nt any noticeable wear. I would recommend the Ci1 Tool to anyone especially with the au$ being so strong against the us$.
A word of caution. Get a quote off Craig for the postage cost before you buy.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

Cliff Rogers
15th July 2008, 08:45 PM
I suspect it was the timber.

I have a very solid 10mm square bedan that I can use as a sharpe edge scraper & I tried it on the foot of my platter & the grain tore out with it too.

I have found timber that is so hard that it almost shatters if you use a gouge our a skew in a cutting action that will scrape beautifully.... work that out. :rolleyes:

The tool holder that I have is rigid & has no flex.
It is flat on one side & that is the side I have down on the tool rest so it has no rock 'n roll action.

WTB, that piece of yours looks good enough to have thread of its own... take plenty of pics & post away. :2tsup:

orraloon
16th July 2008, 12:00 AM
I may be missing the point but why is it better than a scraper.

Cliff Rogers
16th July 2008, 09:41 AM
Stay sharp longer.

jefferson
16th July 2008, 10:41 AM
Cliff

I also have a theory that the carbide cutters will cut more cleanly than M2 steel scrapers, at least at higher speeds. Time will tell.

Jeff

Cliff Rogers
16th July 2008, 11:04 AM
Cliff

I also have a theory that the carbide cutters will cut more cleanly than M2 steel scrapers, at least at higher speeds. Time will tell.

Jeff
How do you work that out? :?

Maybe it will cut for longer without going blunt. :think:
Initially, HHS & plain old carbon steel would have better cutting edges, they just won't last as long.

jefferson
16th July 2008, 01:22 PM
Cliff - a hard one to explain.

It comes down to how good a burr you put on a HSS scaper. If the burr isn't consistent, I don't think you can compare it to the cutting edge of the Ci1 square inserts. And the two sharp edges on the Ci1 should be more consistent in terms of square. That said, I haven't got a scraper that cuts on the side anyway. So if I am plunge-cutting with the Ci1, the front edge does most of the cutting, with the side edge cutting just fractionally.

I just did some hollowing on a small lidded box with the Ci1 and the inside walls, while perfect, are much better than my last effort with a HSS scraper.

Of course, correct me if my initial impressions are wrong!

Jeff

Cliff Rogers
19th July 2008, 01:20 PM
....Initially, HHS & plain old carbon steel would have better cutting edges, they just won't last as long.
Here we go, read what hughie has to say here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showpost.php?p=773558&postcount=5).
This is my understanding of cutting edges on harder metals.

jefferson
19th July 2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks for that Cliff. Good info is hard to contradict.

I must be doing something wrong when making the burr on my scrapers using the Veritas tool. I put the scrapers over the Tormek first, then try to get a decent burr. Or it may just be a technique issue on the lathe. I promise not to bore you all in 12 months time when I get up to speed.

Jeff

Cliff Rogers
24th September 2008, 11:22 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?p=812896#post812896