PDA

View Full Version : Cutlery Chest

Cruzi
14th July 2008, 05:37 PM
Arrived at WW club today and they looking at a cultery chest with some similar style wall cabinets (small ones), one for condiments the other may have been for plates.

A quick inspection showed original inlaid brass handles on drawers and sides of chest. Flat head screws throughout, very high quality workmanship, with the drawers having beautiful hand cut dovetails front and back, all original. The carcass has blind dovetails, only evident from a careful inspection inside (you can see the saw run out in a few spots)
There is also an inlaid brass badge on top with a "R" engraved into it.
Wood appears to be an oak.

I asked what they were doing and they said they had picked it up with a bulk tool lot and they were going to paint & convert it into a first aid cabinet. :o

After I finished screaming, I pointed out the features of the chest and explained the finer points of its contruction they decided restoration was in order after all.

What worries me, is although restoration is needed, the finish is utterly ruined, they still insist on using a paint stripper, even after being told how metho is best for old finishes.

I need ammo to back my arguement before they destroy the history of this beautiful piece

Also what is thinking on brass, do you polish it or leave it, it is black with patina now.

RufflyRustic
14th July 2008, 08:35 PM
Hi Cruzi, Congrats on a great save! For an antique like that, it would indeed be worth restoring and as carefully as possible. (nothing new there)

There is an orange-based or orange-component paint stripper available, sorry, I don't know its name. My restoraton woodwork friends use paint stripper on a lot of the antiques that come their way, especially chairs. They then refinish them with eg button shellac, black wax and a few other finishes, specific to the client's request and in keeping with the piece of furniture. Paint is one of their least favoured and least-used finishes. (thank goodness:D)

Anyway, the point of this is that I think you could well use paint stripper. (just remember I haven't seen the piece and could well change my mind)

As for the brass, are you able to remove it, restore it and then reattach it? The reason for this is that the restoration finish might give you a better direction as to whether a shiny brass would look better or brass with a bit of natural patina.

cheers
Wendy

echnidna
14th July 2008, 09:22 PM
use metho or a 50/50 mix of metho and lacquer thinners

Cruzi
14th July 2008, 10:21 PM
Think thats a good idea Wendy about seeing how it looks before deciding on the brass finish.

Wasn't sure if the restoration police hated polished brass or not, personally, highly polished would be out of place but as it starts to age a little again it would look good.

The top of the chest is in dire need of attention, the sides and front could look good with a light rub with metho and steel wool and a wax.

This is why I could never be a furniture restorer, the decision on just how far to strip or not would leave me paralysed.

Another interesting thing, the 2 wall cabinets, one looks to be oak also and a partner piece to the chest, whilst the other looks to be made from cedar, but made to match the other.

Should have just kept my mouth shut and offered them $50 for the lot and a free first aid box.

I'll pass on your suggestion Bob, but I need persuasive arguements to talk them out of paint stripper.

pully
18th July 2008, 04:32 AM
Hi there, i use paint stirpper alot and find its fine on most but what about a stain reviver? Use nitro stain like a light/dark oak then wet paper it with 320grit,re stain and button polish as norm when dry. this sounds odd but trust me it works, i do this if told to keep cost down.

Sam:2tsup:

ARE77
27th August 2008, 01:34 PM
Hi there,

I am not a restorers boot lace but have done up a few things over the yaers including a Singer treadle sewing machine and an old timber box. I haven't handled antiques with any commercial value so don't employ the "proper way of doing things." I would be inclined to polish the brass partially to remove most of the patina, enough to show the plaque but retain it's aged look, then I would seal it with a poly to prevent it from tarnishing.

Real restorers might see red at this

regards,

Andy

astrid
1st September 2008, 10:06 PM
just tell em that paint stripper will have to be neutalised with water or meths anyway so why double the cost and the work, getting the sludge out of the corners is messy and expensive. and in you wash down with water theres more sanding to be done
Go with the meths.

Astrid