PDA

View Full Version : G'day from West Oz Mark

West OZ Mark
14th July 2008, 06:19 PM
As my name suggests I'm a West Australian and live in the picturesque town of Bridgetown. I,m a Carpenter/Joiner by trade but moved into full time Sawmilling several years ago but after selling my milling setup to a local furniture company I started portable milling in the local area with my Lucas mill. Not long after I sold my milling business the Furnature company that bought me out offerd me a job furniture making for them.
I have the worst job in the world where I,m forced to use terrible timbers like Jarrah, Marri and Sheoak and I make furniture and kitchens for Redback Furniture 2 days a week. I look after our 2 kids a couple of days a week (I have a new found respect for mothers now)and I still do portable milling when I get a chance.
Please don't feel sorry for me as I do get by!:D
I have loved my woodwork from the day I started woodwork in school but my passion is my race car team where I am the owner and driver but since the arrival of our 2 little angles the race car has been parked in the shed for a while:( (see there is a sad bit).
I like to get on the Woodwork forum most days if I,m not out working and sap info from whoever I can.

Thanks....Mark:2tsup:

ubeaut
14th July 2008, 06:59 PM
G'day Mark - A thing with a wing shouldn't Be gathering dust in a shed. It should be going round and round sideways and very fast. I take it that's your thing in the avatar.

Cheers - Neil :U

wheelinround
14th July 2008, 07:06 PM
Welcome Mark it can be a fun place here

Red Back furniture now that must be tiny stuff :U

warrick
14th July 2008, 08:00 PM
Hi There Mark,

I used to live in Bridgetown many years ago, did my electrical apprenticeship at the hospital. My father was the Manual arts teacher at the high school. Loved the place but haven't been back for about 25+ years, I'm sure a lot of things have changed

Warrick

artme
14th July 2008, 08:11 PM
G'day Mark and welcome to this particular sight.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Love WA. was there about 20 years ago and intend to get back some day.

West OZ Mark
14th July 2008, 08:22 PM
G'day Mark - A thing with a wing shouldn't Be gathering dust in a shed. It should be going round and round sideways and very fast. I take it that's your thing in the avatar.

Cheers - Neil :U

Yes Neil the picture is my Sprint Car and I keep telling my wife that it is bad for the car just to sit there but she won't belive me:?

Welcome Mark it can be a fun place here

Red Back furniture now that must be tiny stuff :U

A bloke walked in the other day and asked for a Pine veneer cabinet so we beat him and sent him on his way.:D It is very interesting as all the cabinets are one of a kind so never any repetition.

Hi There Mark,

I used to live in Bridgetown many years ago, did my electrical apprenticeship at the hospital. My father was the Manual arts teacher at the high school. Loved the place but haven't been back for about 25+ years, I'm sure a lot of things have changed

Warrick

Hi Warrick, We have only been here for 5 years. We move down from Perth to the quiet life but I think most of Perth had the same idea. Its a beautiful spot and we both love it.

wouldbe
14th July 2008, 08:36 PM
i cant claim to be a wood worker yet. more , acollector of timber at this stage. but one day! my current trouble comes from the four large trunks (branches attatched )that hit my back yard during the recent storm here in albany.i have 9 large mature(45+yrs) stoney pines(pinus pinea ,2 now horizontal) in my back yard and i'm wondering how difficult they might be to mill. its seems like such a waste to have them carted away or burned. how expensive is it to have timber milled on site?or how practicle. any suggestions?
wouldbe

West OZ Mark
14th July 2008, 11:02 PM
i cant claim to be a wood worker yet. more , acollector of timber at this stage. but one day! my current trouble comes from the four large trunks (branches attatched )that hit my back yard during the recent storm here in albany.i have 9 large mature(45+yrs) stoney pines(pinus pinea ,2 now horizontal) in my back yard and i'm wondering how difficult they might be to mill. its seems like such a waste to have them carted away or burned. how expensive is it to have timber milled on site?or how practicle. any suggestions?
wouldbe

Hi wouldbe, I think just about all trees are worth milling to some degree. It all depends on a few things as to what type of mill to use. For example it wouldn't be viable to use a Lucas Mill or similar to cut up a tree that doesn't have a reasonably straight trunk with a diameter less than 400mm but the use of an Alaskan Mill or similar would suit smaller tree branches and short trunks.
I'm sure there is some one on this forum in the Albany area that might be able to come around and give you a bit of an idea what mill would be best suited to your situation or if you are a bit handy on a chainsaw you could look at an Alaskan mill for yourself as there is lots of info and people to talk to for guidance on this forum.
As for cost, I charge a flat rate of $60 + gst per hour and in a 9 hr day I can cut approx 2 meters cubed of timber depending on timber type, log diameter and board sizes. So for approx 1 m3 of timber the cost is under $300 which is very cheap for green sawn timber.
I hope this gives you a bit of an idea but it is very hard to advise as there is so many variables from tree to tree.

....Mark

Thanks...Mark

munruben
14th July 2008, 11:28 PM
Welcome Mark. nice to have you on board

Ad de Crom
15th July 2008, 02:02 AM
Wellcome Mark, feel yourself at home.
Ad

Dr.Zook
15th July 2008, 12:07 PM
G'day mate and welcome to the forums.