PDA

View Full Version : Removing old putty from windows

Dengue
14th July 2008, 07:11 PM
I have an old silky oak timber door, with six panels of glass, each about 200 x200 in size.

I have been using a chisel to remove the putty holding the glass, but it is very difficult and very tedious. The putty has hardened to what is like tough PVC plastic, and is difficult to chip away neatly - often the chisel just skips over it. However, it does smell like old timber putty.

Can anyone please suggest a better way of removing this putty?

regards from

Jill

mic-d
14th July 2008, 07:34 PM
Hi Jill, I use a hacking knife for this task http://www.lincolnsentry.com.au/Product.aspx?id=1137 and scroll down to the hacking knife. The back of the knife is struck with a hammer. hope this helps.

Cheers
Michael

Dengue
14th July 2008, 10:04 PM
Many thanks Michael , will chase this tool up tomorrow. Looks promising.

The link indicates the tool has a blunt edge to prevent digging into the timber. How does it cut into hardened putty that has set like plastic, and is at an angle to the timber ?

kind regards

Jill

Keith J
14th July 2008, 11:03 PM
Hi Jill, I use a heat gun to soften the putty. You have to be careful not to burn the timber.......takes a bit of practice but it's much easier than chipping and is less likely to damage the timber once you get the hang of it.
Good luck,
Keith

mic-d
15th July 2008, 08:11 AM
Many thanks Michael , will chase this tool up tomorrow. Looks promising.

The link indicates the tool has a blunt edge to prevent digging into the timber. How does it cut into hardened putty that has set like plastic, and is at an angle to the timber ?

kind regards

Jill

Hi Jill
You chip away a segment of putty with the tip until you can fit the entire front end on its side on the timber. Then it's just a matter of striking the back of the knife with a hammer and driving it along the putty line. Hope that helps

Cheers
Michael

orraloon
15th July 2008, 10:23 AM
I take it we are talking about the old style linseed oil putty. If so an old chisel to get the bulk of it then a painters scraper to clean out the last bits. Ounce you get under it with a bit of leverage it pops out in long sections. Often in old windows the putty is falling out by itself. I have cracked the odd pane of glass so take care with that. You will most likely find a few panel pins have been used to hold the glass in place while the putty was applied. Use pliers to remove them and take care with the glass.

woodhunt
19th October 2008, 02:28 PM
If it's oil putty, I strip any paint or finish on top then paint some linseed oil on and leave in the sun for a few hours to penetrate and it will come off a hell of a lot easier. If you haven't used a heat gun doing this before, take care you don't crack the glass from expansion or overheating part of the glass.

spoinky
31st October 2008, 09:45 PM
There is an old method, putting a fluid onto the putty. I can't remeber if it is white spirits or 'Bakers' solder flux.
Either one should do something without affecting the timber.