PDA

View Full Version : Thicknesser Help

John Hales
5th September 1999, 05:19 PM
Hi,
I bought a block of Eucalypt Burl earlier this year in Tasmania from which I plan to make a jewellery box. I used a bandsaw to cut the block into five sheets (200x250x10mm)which are now dry. I'm now looking for a person in the Sydney area with a thicknesser who help me dress these sheets. I can't afford to buy a thicknesser for this one project - and even if I could I wouldn't know how to use it properly. Can anybody help me out?
Cheers
John

Shane Watson
5th September 1999, 11:21 PM
John,

If Ya lived up here in Nth Qld, wouldn't be a problem!! http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Why don't you try ringing round a few joiners or even cabinetmakers? They may do it for nothing! I get a few customers comeing in now and again for the exact some thing, and I very rarely charge! Customer relations!

Have fun!!

Shane!!

RETIRED
6th September 1999, 01:17 AM
John, I would be wary of putting burl that thin through a thicknesser.

It is likely to shatter.

A better way to go is to find someone with a powermax or similar sander.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

bobmundy
6th September 1999, 03:01 PM
John,
Agree with . Chunks of wood careering aound in a thicknesser are not a pretty sight or sound. Suggest you look for someone like me, with a cnc router table or one of those new wood wizz (?) machines. Look under signs or cabinetmakers in the yellow pages.
Good luck.

------------------
Bob- You won't get a second chance to make a good first impression...

AlexS
13th September 1999, 11:50 AM
Suggest you find someone with a drum sander, or you may be able to use a belt or random orbital sander.

Refering to Bob's suggestion of the Aussie wood whizz, I sugest you talk to them (they are in Albury NSW) and they will probably tell you who the nearest person with one is.

Alex