PDA

View Full Version : Adventure into Reverse Carving Perspex

GRS
16th July 2008, 08:58 PM
G'Day All

I have been experimenting for a while into reverse carving into painted perspex. I'll give you a run down on what to do.

1: Get your subject size in perspex then paint it in the predominent coulour of what you are going to carve, in this case black and cut out the whole design or logo

2: Carve out the items in the subject matter that are going to be the next most dominent colour

3: Paint that colour onto your peice and let dry

4: Carve the next colur piece and repeat step 3

5: Where you have multiple coulors do each layer at a different depth and paint each as you go, for instance on this one a Collingwood logo the Australian flag was carved after the white protion was painted at a new depth thus removing the black and white I had already painted. So I carved the whole flag then painted it blue, waited till it dried then carved the stars and the white potion of the Union Jack then painted white again, then when dry I carved the red part of the Union Jack and painted it red. Do you get my drift:doh:

It is improtant that you dont lose your X & Y co-ordinants when doing this , so if you want to do other jobs in between you will need to work out how you will get your piece back into the same position for accuracy , In my case I left the job on the bed and waited for each layer of paint to dry.

Anyhow here is the end result from the back, I'll show you the front if you are interested:D

WillyInBris
16th July 2008, 09:07 PM
Cmon show us the front :o would love to give this a go soon may need some pointers though :2tsup:.

Greolt
16th July 2008, 09:17 PM
C'mon Gary........Don't be shy......Flip it over. :U

GRS
16th July 2008, 09:21 PM
In the words of Jack Nicholson

" You cant handle the front "

Unless you're a Collingwood supporter :D

Only joking here you go

WillyInBris
16th July 2008, 09:56 PM
lol Garry I am a Cronulla Sharks supporter I can handle anything I have the Antidepressant's to prove it :D.

It looks bloody fantastic :2tsup:

I would love to something Like that with the following:

Sean

rodm
17th July 2008, 03:53 AM
Quick - flip it back over.

Next thing you will be telling us is you are a Dockers supporter. :D

Nice work on the engraving and thanks for sharing your technique. :2tsup:

Greolt
17th July 2008, 10:16 AM
Yeah it should be red and black. :no:....:U

Gary when you do the first colour, that goes onto the unmachined surface.

Is there any issue of the paint holding to the shiny surface? What sort of paint do you use?

Your jobs are always an inspiration. Thanks for sharing them. :2tsup:

Greg

GRS
17th July 2008, 11:41 AM
Willyinbris do you have a vector version of the sharks logo?

Rod I wouldn't be game doing a Freo one at the moment , I don't want to break anything :(

Greg, yes mate just paint onto the the surface to be machined and I only used normal gloss spry cans from bunnings , nothing special. The photo does not do it justice as the effect is stunning because of the 3 mm of clear perspex in front of the work it actually looks like glass .

cheers

Gary

GRS
17th July 2008, 11:45 AM
Forgot to add a photo of it in a jarrah burl , this is for a mate and he is going to put a clock on the right of it

Cheers

Gary

Greolt
17th July 2008, 03:40 PM
Greg, yes mate just paint onto the the surface to be machined and I only used normal gloss spry cans from bunnings , nothing special.

So the very first coat going on to the shiny surface is OK ?

Second colour and so on you are painting onto a machined surface of course. Bit rougher.

Greg

WillyInBris
17th July 2008, 05:51 PM
Willyinbris do you have a vector version of the sharks logo?

Not of that logo I thought I had a larger image that I could vectoris but can seem to find it :- I really need to work on my electronic filing system :C

But I have an EPS file that may work see pic and zip file, what thickness perspex do you use and what bits etc, do you do it using Vcarve so many questions :2tsup:

Sean

rodm
17th July 2008, 06:09 PM
Hi Sean,
Yes that works as a direct import into Vcarve.
Trouble is now I have to reload Windows to get that image out of memory. :D

GRS
17th July 2008, 09:03 PM
Greg , yes mate I just sprayed it strait onto the surface , you may need to give it several coates I just hold it up to the light to see what coverage I have.
One thing you need to understand with what I experiment with, it is very agricultural and if it doesn't work I try sumfin else :U so there is no secrets to getting it right.

Willy as Rod says that file works fine in V Carve, I searched the net for a bigger version of the old Sharks logo to vectorise with no luck so if you have a hard copy you could scan into your computer that would be the way to go. I have even taken photos of logos on T shirts or hats with success.
I used 3mm Perspex but really it does not matter as the idea is to remove the paint only so all I did was machine at .3mm.

GRS
17th July 2008, 09:38 PM
Hey Willy , here is a V Carve preview, I think this would be a good one to do not too many colours why dont you give it a try? Obviously V Carve does not allow multiple colours in preview.

WillyInBris
17th July 2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks Garry will definitely get to it as soon as I have the spindle running the preview looks good even with one colour :2tsup:

GRS
23rd August 2008, 01:07 AM
G'Day All,

been a while but finaly got the rest of the Collingwood clock done and off to its owner, he has sent a photo of it fitted into the burl, apolligies for the photo but it was a bit shiny.

The clock face was done the same as the logo out of perspex and the cover has the numbers engraved into the back . As the clock is hanging outside but under cover it means the hands are enclosed in perspex.

Gary