PDA

View Full Version : Is my motor dying ?

turnerted
17th July 2008, 06:06 PM
Hi
I have a 95 model Vickmark 200 delux and the motor seems to be getting weaker and weaker , or I'm getting stronger . I find I can easily stall it . I have just started using my new bowl saver and find I have to use very light cuts and frequently back off or the lathe stalls . It is taking me about 20 minutes to core a bowl rather than 5 minutes as the manufacturer suggest .Roughing down the blank and hollowing out the core takes ages too and this is green wood .
I bought the lathe about 5 years ago second hand "done very little work" . I was a beginner then and it seemed to have heaps of grunt then . Over the last 3 years I probably average about 2 hours turning a day .
The lathe has a Crompton Parkinson motor and I think it says 1100 watts on the lable , A bit hard to read as it is upside down .
My previous experience with crook motors is they produce an electrical burning smell , there is a puff of smoke and they stop .I would pull the motor out and take it along to someone to check it out but I can see that removing it is not going to be easy.It is surrounded on all sides by a metal cupboard and the only access is through the door so I would need to support the motor somehow while I undo the bolts and the holding it in position when I want to put it back looks to be even harder .
I would be greatfull for any advice.

Ted

MICKYG
17th July 2008, 06:13 PM
Ted

If there is no smell you may have a loose belt ?

Regards Mike

woodwork wally
17th July 2008, 08:50 PM
I am not fully ophay with these units but a start run capacitor if fitted could cause symptoms you have discribed Regards Wally

Frank&Earnest
17th July 2008, 11:37 PM
Yep, either one. If it revs up slowly and you can stop it with your hand before it has gone full speed it is the capacitor, otherwise it is probably the belt. Either way, the motor in itself is ok.

Cliff Rogers
17th July 2008, 11:50 PM
Sounds like the belt to me.

turnerted
18th July 2008, 05:46 PM
Hi
Thanks for the feedback . It was the belt slipping . I found I could grab hold of the hand wheel and see the pully still spinning . I rang Vicmarc and they told me how to adjust it .To test it , I cored out a camphor laurel blank 300 mm by 100 mm that had been drying over a year in 5 minutes . When hollowing out the plug I could remove shavings as thick as I wanted with no stalling .

Ted

Chipman
18th July 2008, 07:21 PM
Isn't great when you can fix it so simply! You are really going to enjoy your vicmarc now! Lots of smart people to help us out around this forum:2tsup:

Cheers,

Chipman:)

Sawdust Maker
18th July 2008, 08:36 PM
isn't it wonderful when it's something so simple and the rectification costs nothing more then the use of a spanner :2tsup:
beauty

Cliff Rogers
18th July 2008, 10:49 PM
Let the shavings fly. :2tsup:

jefferson
18th July 2008, 11:43 PM
That's a great outcome.

I've found Vicmarc to be very good when it comes to problems - buying local pays at times.

Now if I can only talk some of you wise folk to come here and tune my bandsaw.... And show me how to change the belt on my VL 300.

Jeff

DJ’s Timber
18th July 2008, 11:59 PM
Why do you need to change the belt Jeff?

jefferson
19th July 2008, 12:36 AM
DJ,

I think you'll be changing your belt speed on the Vicmarc when I bring this yellow box burl down to the Mini Turn Fest. It weighs a ton. I'd just like to know how it's done!

As with all things woodturning, just waiting for lessons.

Jeff

DJ’s Timber
19th July 2008, 12:47 AM
I haven't had to replace mine yet, but I do know how to do them, comes from working in the Mechanical/Engineering/Welding background :doh:, so when you come to the turnfest, remind me and I'll take you throught the steps on my machine :2tsup:

hughie
19th July 2008, 07:55 AM
Why do you need to change the belt Jeff

DJ,
I guess if its been slipping for awhile. Then the belt maybe shot,slipping belts dont generally survive that well.

jefferson
19th July 2008, 06:07 PM
Sorry, I might have confused you all as well as me about changing the belts.

I think with my Vicmarc 300 I am able to change the belt so I get the choice of three speed ranges, with the lower one giving more torque for turning bowls. (Something I haven't done yet admittedly).

Still very much in learning mode - had a small 75mm lidded box fly off the chuck today, taking a fairly aggressive deepening cut with the Ci1. I think the tenon wasn't long enough for the jaws and I probably didn't tighten it up enough as well.

I haven't got a hollowing tool, so would be interested in hearing what experienced turners do out there. Remember, I'm a leftie and want to turn outboard.

Jeff

jefferson
19th July 2008, 06:23 PM
One mistake I forgot to mention was starting the lathe with the headstock locked. I'd just taken a chuck off the inboard side and forgot....

I hope I didn't do any damage, though the lathe seems to be going OK.

Jeff

DJ’s Timber
19th July 2008, 06:48 PM
Ha, now I'm with you, changing the pulley speeds, very easy to do. Will show you on the 3rd how to do it :2tsup:

You're not the only one who has done it :doh:, I wouldn't be concerned about it, the Indexing Pin on the Vicmarcs are pretty solid

hughie
19th July 2008, 06:51 PM
One mistake I forgot to mention was starting the lathe with the headstock locked. I'd just taken a chuck off the inboard side and forgot....

:U:U you aren't the first and you wont be the last.I have done sillier things with my lathe.