PDA

View Full Version : Chisel Mortiser

Dave C
17th July 2008, 09:18 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm considering buying a new chisel mortiser. Has any one had experience with the Carba-tec range? I'm looking at the CTJ-1600.

Cheers,

Dave C

colbra
17th July 2008, 10:41 PM
Dave
Give Carba Tec in Brisbane a call on 1800658111 they had some on run out specials about a month ago, I don't know very much about the machines
Regards colbra

jefferson
25th July 2008, 06:56 PM
Dave,

I happened to pass by the Carbatec morticer in Melb a few months ago. The demo piece of timber with a 4 inch or so mortice didn't impress me at all.

Maybe the machine wasn't set up right, but it sure wasn't a good advertisement. I suggest you have a look at the new benchtop Powermatic, I think it's around $500.

Jeff

Dave C
25th July 2008, 08:23 PM
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply. Do you recall what model it was? The one I'm looking at is a professional model with movable table etc, 3/4hp motor and full set of chisels which does seem a bargain at around $550.

The Powermatic looks okay too but lacks some of the features I'm looking for in a mortiser. How would you compare the brands? I have 3 other Carba Tec machines (buzzer, thicknesser and combo sanding machine) the sander is rubbish, but the other 2 are good so I guess their quality may vary.

Thanks again.

Dave C

jefferson
25th July 2008, 10:08 PM
Have a look at the Powermatic machines - they look good. The 701 got a great write-up in FWW magazine a while back.

http://www.gregmach.com/new_machinery/mortising/GregoryMachinery-NewMachinery-Mortiser.htm

Jeff

China
25th July 2008, 11:10 PM
If you want a mortiser that will do a proffesional job have a look at the Leda ct-1913 I have one of these and have no complaints, machines such as the powermatic have non conventional controls, this makes them a pain to use.The ct1913 is used by a lot of cabinet shops, it is three time the price but the extra dollars are well spent