PDA

View Full Version : Red Gum box

lubbing5cherubs
19th July 2008, 01:39 PM
Hi this is my next box I have done. I think the wood is redgum. What do you think?
Toni

Cliff Rogers
19th July 2008, 01:47 PM
Strewth Toni, you can't miss the knob. :D

rsser
19th July 2008, 04:45 PM
Good effort Toni.

Redgum can be a trial to turn; you did well.

jow104
19th July 2008, 05:31 PM
I could imagine that design going well on an old English four poster as finials or secret boxes.

Congratulations on a good project completed.

Ad de Crom
19th July 2008, 06:52 PM
Hi Toni, great looking box, had you an example or did you it all by your own imagination. You're on the right track to developed yourself as a great woodturner.
Your pieces of work shows the attention you gave to them.
A nice add are the vertical groves, dremel tool??
Keep em going Toni.

Ad :2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
19th July 2008, 06:57 PM
Looking good Toni :2tsup: got some use of the OT lathe in I see

Did you get a good even spacing on the verticle cuts ???

Now does your lid go POP when you open it :2tsup: extra points if it does

Harry72
19th July 2008, 09:18 PM
Looks fine Toni.
The finial seems a little bulky/high?

DJ’s Timber
19th July 2008, 09:51 PM
OTurning part looks really good, quite like that effect :2tsup:

Agree with Harry72, the finial IMHO needs to be about half the size I reckon :think:

lubbing5cherubs
20th July 2008, 01:32 AM
Looking good Toni :2tsup: got some use of the OT lathe in I see

Did you get a good even spacing on the verticle cuts ???
Yep the last one actually finished in the start of the first one. I was chuffed with that:D

Now does your lid go POP when you open it :2tsup: extra points if it does
It does too and it got a bum in it too which is a bonus:D

As for the finial I agree but I am working on it. Yet to get brave enough to make them thinner and still working onlearning the beading so the overall shape I was thrilled first time I have ever beeen able to get those shapes so that made me happy.
bye Toni

TTIT
21st July 2008, 02:39 PM
It does too and it got a bum in it too which is a bonus:D

As for the finial I agree but I am working on it. Yet to get brave enough to make them thinner and still working onlearning the beading so the overall shape I was thrilled first time I have ever beeen able to get those shapes so that made me happy.
bye ToniDon't worry about the bravery bit Toni, if you do muck it up when you try to go thinner, you can always scrap the finial, drill a hole in the lid and glue a separately turned one in it's place. I think a lot of turners get to a "quit while I'm ahead" point on a turning instead of continuing to the size and shape they pictured before they started which is a shame really because you have to push your own boundaries to improve your skills as well as your product.
Keep at it Toni - I can see improvement with every piece you put up here. Good to hear you're still getting the pop-fit!:2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
21st July 2008, 07:03 PM
Hi Vern and it got no dimples either. Never thought of before you visited now I am very aware to make sure there is no dimple either. :D