PDA

View Full Version : Need help with old plane trademark

Greg Q
19th July 2008, 06:13 PM
Can anyone shed light on this trademark ("S" and anchor). It is stamped into nthe wrought iron part of an old wood block plane blade.

(the plane and blade shown here. Plane is 5" long, blade is set bevel up with no cap iron, and bedded at 50 degrees. Cute tool.

Thanks

Greg

jmk89
19th July 2008, 06:57 PM
No idea Greg.
If you don't have any joy here, you might ask onthe Woodwork UK forums where Al Frampton hangs around - she may be able to identify it. Or you could pM her from here (her ID here is UKAlf).

Scribbly Gum
20th July 2008, 11:33 AM
Can anyone shed light on this trademark ("S" and anchor). It is stamped into nthe wrought iron part of an old wood block plane blade.

(the plane and blade shown here. Plane is 5" long, blade is set bevel up with no cap iron, and bedded at 50 degrees. Cute tool.

Thanks

Greg

Hi Greg,
I can't help with the trademark, but I'll offer an observation on the layout of the plane.
If it is set bevel-up and is bedded at 50 degrees, then the plane is likely to be scraping rather than planing.
Will the blade fit into the mouth bevel down?
If it only just fits, and leaves a tiny gap, then it will be well suited to smoothing.
Regards from Tele Point
SG:?:?:?

Groggy
20th July 2008, 11:38 AM
Had a good look around for this yesterday and came up empty. I suspected it might have been a nordic blade in a Mathieson style body but couldn't find anything about it anywhere.

Greg Q
22nd July 2008, 11:39 PM
Hi fellas...On the blade configuration: I was wrong about that, it is meant to be bevel down like a typical bench plane. The patina indicates that the blade and wedge have been living that way forever.

Groggy the logo reminds me of something Swedish too...eskilstuna or somewhere. I seem to recall an anchor somewhere in a book, but of course most references we see are of U.S. or British tools.

Anyway, I was going to keep it, but have decided to eBay it off unless someone here wants it?

Best,

Greg

Groggy
23rd July 2008, 12:05 AM
I went to eskilstuna first but found nothing like it except the eskilstuna Anchorworks logo (see here (http://i15.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/ff/98/6a67_3.JPG)) which is a bit different. Good luck with fleabay!

sumu
24th July 2008, 09:22 AM
Nice plane and iron, congratulations for a good find :).

The database of Kleines Werkzeugmuseum did not reveal that one, either. http://www.holzwerken.de/museum/hersteller/marken.phtml

To me, the body shape of that coffin smoother + 50 deg bedding + that lengthy wedge +single iron all together implies to some classic US pre-chipbreaker era woodie, like those ones they are making at Clark&Williams nowadays. Can't say for sure but it looks like it's ment to smoothen mainly straight grain (coniferous) stock. But I may be totally wrong here, of course.

The bevel up configuration was also an useful feature in such a plane. It is nothing new to use that kind of simple woodie as a scraper plane, too.

Kippis,

sumu

Scribbly Gum
3rd August 2008, 01:04 PM
Today at the markets I saw a leg vice with a brand mark that looked just like this one.
I didn't have my camera so you'll have to take my word for it, although I didn't have my glasses either, but it looked the same.
The leg vice was made by an English firm called Alldays and Onions, who - according to the old blokes gathered for a yarn - was an engineering firm that made all sorts of things - including at one stage , a car sometime between 1898 and 1918.
Had a quick search and here is the car:
http://www.users.bigpond.com/boroniahil/alldays.html
Apparently the company was formed in 1652 as makers of bellows for forges.
Now if this is the same brand, then it has a long history.
I have found this:

About Alldays Peacock

Alldays Peacock & Co was established in 1625 during the reign of King James the First. The company was founded by a family of craftsmen named Onions who manufactured bellows in their shed in the shadow of Dudley Castle in the Midlands area of England.
By 1770 the company was trading under the name J C Onions and, having established a virtual monopoly in and around Birmingham, the company soon began manufacturing portable forges in addition to bellows. During the 19th century the company was appointed bellow makers to her Majesty's ordinance and increased production, supplying forges and bellows to the new British colonies abroad.
In 1885, a merger with a local rival manufacturer,William Alldays, saw the foundation of a new company, Alldays & Onions Ltd and advances in technology allowed the company to expand into new areas of production including water turbines, centrifugal fans, positive pressure blowers, pneumatic hammers, cupolas, furnaces, smithy equipment and a huge range of cycles and tricycles.
During the 1900s the company expanded into a new market, producing its first automobile - the Volturette. During the First World War, Alldays & Onions were renowned for their production of motorcycles and when the war ended the company produced a new car - the Enfield-Alldays series LC.
After World War II, with changing market requirements, Alldays & Onions Ltd establish itself as a market leader in the manufacture of centrifugal fans expanding into the field of dust collecting and chemical engineering. In 1969 the company merged with rival fan company J.C.Peacock forming Alldays Peacock & Co Ltd and in the 1980s the company expanded its factory in Weston-Super-Mare in Somerset and began selling abroad.
In 2005 Alldays Peacock was purchased by the world's leading fan-maker, the German-based Witt Group and became part of Witt UK. With manufacturing facilities in Germany, UK and Switzerland, and licensed manufacturing in Canada, Japan, Korea and Indonesia, in addition to a network of agents, the Witt Group supplies high quality products throughout the world.
Manufacturing is carried out to ISO 9000 at our new headquarters located in Halifax, West Yorkshire.

Now I might be wrong but it is the closest to your logo that I have seen.
Hope this helps
Regards
SG

Anthony Clancy
24th January 2009, 09:14 PM

Thanks

Greg
Hi Could this be as simple as "Anchor tools" which were made in Switzerland..thus the Anchor and "S". I have just done most of the work in restoring one of their quite excellent number 6 sized Stanley type planes...

pommyphil
27th January 2009, 03:38 PM
I've got an Anchor 78 clone and the blade has that identical mark. Phil

Koala-Man
27th January 2009, 03:53 PM
Hi Could this be as simple as "Anchor tools" which were made in Switzerland..thus the Anchor and "S". I have just done most of the work in restoring one of their quite excellent number 6 sized Stanley type planes...

I've got an Anchor No. 6 (ie Stanley clone) I inherited from my father but I'm sure it's made in Sweden rater than Switz.. Haven't restored it but it looks to be very well made. I've never looked at the blade but I'll check the mark when I get a chance.

Anthony Clancy
27th January 2009, 05:10 PM
Hi ...scored "one" first time...heheheh...and sorry for the error, my plane is "Anchor" Sweden...not Switzerland, alas, and so to misquote Bob Dyer...happy yodelling customers.

Greg Q
27th January 2009, 08:15 PM
Thank you all for the replies...I meant to say this earlier but somehow it slipped by me. I was reading something the other day about an Eskilstuna made tool, and it had an anchor with an "E" in the logo. It was broadly similar but different.

I wonder if the "Anchor" brand "S" signified another city or "Sweden"?

I still own this tool and have decided against selling it.

Greg

Chris Vesper
30th January 2009, 04:38 PM
Hiya all,
I suppose this counts for a partial brag on my part but I would genuinely help if I could... I checked my blade collection - See this link (https://www.vespertools.com.au/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=36&catid=5) - Plane blade collection near the bottom of that page. In all my 126 blades I haven't seen that mark before...

Good on you for trying to research it, sorry I can't help on this one.