PDA

View Full Version : Boat history

onlyhope
21st July 2008, 12:15 PM
I bought an old yacht about 18 months ago and am now restoring her in my back paddock, 2000 feet above sea level! (and you thought you were a bit odd)
However, while I am undergoing therapy I thought I would try to track her history. She is a 36ft full keel cutter rigged sloop named 'Perrigrine', and I believe she was built in England and sailed out to Australia many years ago.
If anyone has knowledge of how to track down the history of an old boat or even the best place to start I would be delighted to hear from you.
onlyhope.:C

joe greiner
21st July 2008, 09:24 PM
If there's any evidence of old registry numbers, registration authorities might have historical info. Just a shot in the dark.

And welcome aboard, onlyhope. Posting a picture could solicit more responses.
[Oops! I see you've been here earlier.]

Joe

Boatmik
22nd July 2008, 01:44 AM
The National Maritime Museum in Sydney is developing a register of historic boats. You can contact them.

http://www.anmm.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=602

But you will need more information than the name.

Does the mainsail have a number on it?

Michael

PAR
22nd July 2008, 12:23 PM
Try the "Registry of Wooden Boats" . . .

bloggs1968
22nd July 2008, 04:06 PM
You could try Mori Flapan - he has a boat register site for Australian Vessels, it is separate from the one David Payne is doing at the Maritime Museum.

See http://www.boatregister.net/

regards,

AD

Hallam
23rd July 2009, 03:32 PM
I knew of a fiberglass sloop named Perrigrine that was sailed from the UK. Fairly solidly overbuilt. It was moored in Mornington Vic and belonged James. ( i forget his surname ).
Had a nice timber cabin and fit out etc. Does this fit the description of your boat?

Boatmik
24th July 2009, 11:39 AM
Pics might help.

But the leads above are more likely to be useful.

Rick_Tatum
24th July 2009, 03:01 PM
Not that I could help in any way to identify your boat, but pics would be nice just so we could ooh and aah over the old girl :)

Paddy Briscoe
18th August 2009, 11:31 PM
...do you have a photo