PDA

View Full Version : Plans/Tips for a drafting board

Jamin
1st October 1999, 07:30 PM
Unfortunately I am not offering plans, I am seeking them. I have finally finished my work bench (8 months in the making) and now I am moving on to building a drafting board. The only problem is have not been able to find any decent plans to date. Normally I try to draw my own (hence why I want a drafting board) however I do not know enough about these beasties to think I could create a good one. The last thing I remember is using one in Tech Drawing at high school which is well over 15 years past now, so that is bugger all.

If anyone out there can point me in the right direction to find a set of plans for a drafting board your input would hugely appreciated.

Alternatively if you have any suggestions on what I should include in plans (cool gizmos and the like) that would be great to.

If I do end up drawing the plans myself I will scan them in and post them on this bulletin board for free (if I am allowed to).

I am also big on the "free" thing, ie I would love to find free plans.

Thanks

Jamin

Rod Smith
2nd October 1999, 11:38 AM
Sorry can't help ya Jamin. I used to draw things with a pencil, firstly with a pencil and ruler, then I used to sticky tape paper to a piece of board and use a shop made square, then I got a staedler (s?) A3 board. Before I got to a draughting board I went to CAD on the PC. Never looked back. Just a thought?? Rod

------------------

Jamin
4th October 1999, 07:28 PM
Thanks Rod.

I would actually prefer to use a CAD as well. The only problem is keeping up with technology. I have a very fast PC at work (constantly upgraded) and get really frustrated using my home one because it is so slow in comparison (I suspect my home one would fall over using even a simple CAD program).

As I work for a large organisation they do not allow any foreign personal software on their computers (fair call) and therefore I can't use a CAD on "my" fast PC.

I have a few ideas on how to draw the board anyway (I have had a peek at few in the store). I am just being a little lazy.

Thanks Again.

cheers Jamin

Ray
5th October 1999, 11:50 AM
Jamin, No luck with plans, but I would suggest that you make your board and then use it to draw your plan. Then you know it is exactly to the plan. Good luck Ray

Jamin
5th October 1999, 02:33 PM
Ray,

Thanks for the note, you have provided me with a decent chuckle on an otherwise monotonous day.

cheers Jamin

ubeaut
6th October 1999, 03:53 AM
Hi Jamin

Don't want to sound like a party pooper but think about buying a draftsmans easel. They are a dime a dozen at the moment in the usual furniture disposal type places.

Many of the government departments etc are virtually throwing them out as they switch over to C.A.D. Most of these boards are in fantastic order and can even be purchased with the drafting mechanism etc. I have 2 with the hydrolic rise and fall base on them. One is the full thing with all the bells and whistles it cost me $180 a couple of years ago the other was the base only and has been converted into a brilliant carving bench $90 at the same time.

They are a little thinner on the ground now and possibly a little dearer but still readily available. I doubt you could make one for less then double the price.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ubeaut (edited 06 October 1999).]

Jamin
6th October 1999, 01:16 PM
Thanks Neil,

I have been looking the paper here and I would have to agree. You can get some really high tech boards for reasonable prices. I also know that Fluer Daniels (one of the largest engineering companies in the world, I believe) has just laid of 130 draughtsmen, inlcuding a few friends, in Perth where I hail from. So I would guess the auction houses here will be full of them.

That said I am looking for a first project (to make on the new bench), which is a little out of the ordinary, but still really useful.

I have a good range of chisels, a triton (just the saw table), a jigsaw , and bench plane (plus all the other little bits and pieces). I really enjoying taking my time and trying to do things with as little glue, nails and screws as possible.

I am trying to find out as much as I can on Japanese joinery, some of those joints are very clever (and look impossibly difficult). Does anyone have any other suggestions? Otherwise I guess I will just have to make the bookshelf my wife wants.

cheers Jamin

ubeaut
6th October 1999, 08:24 PM
Hi again

You might find it fun to work on some small boxes either jewelery or deed. These can be done with some really nice joints on the corners and lid and are practical as well as very saleable items if that is the way you wish to go.

They would also be good projects to try the Japanese joints on. In our classes we have had students make some very nice ones using mitre joints on the corners then pinning them with contrasting coloured dowels that go diagonally through the joint and finish flush with the outside edges.

Hope this is a helpful hint.

Cheers
Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Jamin
7th October 1999, 02:01 PM
thanks again Neil,

boxes are definitely on my list as I need some storage. I have seen some really neat cigar boxes (made in Pemberton) use the mitre joint with the contrasting wood pins and I agree they look really clean and reek of craftmanship.

I will let you know how I go.

cheers Jamin