PDA

View Full Version : Howdy

DougStowe
22nd July 2008, 12:34 AM
I'm from Arkansas, USA, so G'day will take some practice. Noel Watson told me that this forum is the place in Oz where the wood blokes and blokettes brag on their accomplishments and cry in their beer.

So I thought I would introduce myself. I do woodwork, teach woodworking and write about it and worst of all, I have a blog. http://wisdomofhands.blogspot.com

So please visit. Noel was telling me that your woods are harder to work with than American woods... that walnut and cherry are pushover pansies in comparison to Jarrah and Tasmanian Blackwood. But then I've heard that Australians are up for it, and a wood teacher friend, Richard Bazeley, has directed me to some of the sites where it can be seen on the net.

I have a small book from Australia called "Blokes in Sheds" and I admire the backyard get-er-done spirit of your lovely continent. I occasionally post something similar on my blog, an irregular feature I call Geezers in Garages, as many of us who are into it are getting up in middle years. It is just a shame more of this lovely spirit isn't being wasted on the young.

Doug Stowe

Ad de Crom
22nd July 2008, 01:56 AM
Hi Doug, yeah howdy is typical American, G'day is Australian, but also Dutch, translated in ''goededag''.
Very wellcome, I'm sure you'll like it here.
Ad :)

Honorary Bloke
22nd July 2008, 02:02 AM
Hi Doug,

There are a few Seppos on here :rolleyes: (ask Noel) and we are usually treated well. I've learned a lot from these Ozzies.

Welcome to the forums. :)

watson
22nd July 2008, 11:19 AM
G'day Doug,
and welcome aboard.
There are a few young'ns here 15 and 17 yrs. and they are a hoot!!

RufflyRustic
22nd July 2008, 11:56 AM
Howdy Doug,

Welcome to the Woodworking Forums !!!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

It's great to see you here. I, too, have the "Blokes in Sheds" book. Wonderful stuff! You never know, my shed may appear in such a book one day too.:B

Looking forward to seeing you around the Forums.

Cheers
Wendy

Howdya do that
22nd July 2008, 04:16 PM
Are we are being visited by royalty (http://www.dougstowe.com) of the box making fraternity :?

If so, dont post pictures of your work please:D, It will make me feel bad:rolleyes:

Gra
22nd July 2008, 04:22 PM
I've learned a lot from these Ozzies.

Some of it repeatable in polite company:D:D

Welcome to the nut house

artme
22nd July 2008, 05:21 PM
G'day Doug and welcome to ratbag heaven!:D:D:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
Now go thee forth and find out what a ratbag is.:p:p

joez
22nd July 2008, 09:09 PM
Welcome Doug, I have one of your books sitting on my shelf , Autographed no less :2tsup:

Looking forward to reading your posts.

joez

joe greiner
22nd July 2008, 09:47 PM
Welcome aboard, Doug.

And goodonya for encouraging the return of craftsmanship. Without a dedicated industrial base, our (both Oz and Oosa) business models could be reduced to doing each others' laundry, as the late David Brinkley said.

You'd best bookmark an Australian slang (aka Strine) dictionary, and get used to weird spelling and metric dimensions.

Cheers,
Joe

DougStowe
22nd July 2008, 10:51 PM
Thank you all for your welcome. It should be easier to learn Ozzie than to learn svenske, which I've been trying to do in my spare time. So now I know that strine means slang, woodworking gals don't take offense at being called blokettes, and seeing some of your show and tell, I know that you all make some pretty and fine boxes out of woods that make walnut and cherry seem wimpy (though still humbly pretty) at best.

I avoid metric as much as possible, and I try to avoid the English system as well. I like working with story sticks so that I can avoid numerancy in general. But one thing I do like about the English system is that it was based on parts of the human body, and in the rule of thumb, your thumb and mine weren't the same, and the things we made were made to fit us instead of some abstract model. You start out with interchangeable parts and the next thing you know, we are interchangeable as well and our work might as well be done somewhere else, while the rich hide out in walled enclaves so as to avoid feeling the burden of the unemployed.

In other words, I like the idea of craftsmanship... that's where you make something and make something of yourself at the same time.

Noel said a bunch of you have my books and DVD, so you probably know as much about box making as I do, and I don't have a lot of time to hang out, but I am glad to feel so welcomed by you all to step in now and then feel the good vibes from down under.

Doug Stowe
http://wisdomofhands.blogspot.com

jerryc
23rd July 2008, 06:29 PM
Doug,

Welcome, but just a small word of advice which I hope you won't find offensive. We never cry into our beer. It weakens it.

Jerry

munruben
23rd July 2008, 07:29 PM
Hi Doug, Welcome to the right place at the right time.

Groggy
23rd July 2008, 07:32 PM
Hi Doug, not sure if you remember me from another usenet group (rec.woodworking), a lot of us have moved on from there.

I've acquired a few of your books and have enjoyed them. Hopefully if you hang around here for a while you might pick up some ideas that are useful to you. I know that if you post we will get some benefit.

Welcome to the forums, I hope you enjoy your stay :2tsup:

Greg

PS: In case you haven't already found it, the box making forum is here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87).

DougStowe
24th July 2008, 01:08 AM
Hi Doug, not sure if you remember me from another usenet group (rec.woodworking), a lot of us have moved on from there.

Greg,
Yes, I do remember you from the wreck. I haven't been there in a couple years, but when I did check in, things seemed the same. Same cast, same stage. I posted a view of JOAT on my blog a while back, which you would find here:

http://wisdomofhands.blogspot.com/search?q=JOAT

I recently read Bill Bryson's book on his travel in OZ called "In a Sunburned Country". It is a wonderful complement to your beautiful continent.

very best,

Doug

Groggy
25th July 2008, 09:48 PM
I posted a view of JOAT on my blog a while back, JOAT looks pretty much like I imagined him, although I always thought his entire shop would be yellow :)

I hope he is still going strong, I miss his dry wit and very off-beat tastes :D.