PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Denim
23rd July 2008, 12:10 AM
Hi guys,

Have been lurking here for quite a while admiring everyone's handy work and thought it was about time I registered and said hello. I'm 30 years old and spent the first years of my working life as a sheet metal fabricator. My grandfather was a keen cabinet maker (self taught) and I loved watching him create new peices and admired his work greatly. Our family has quite a bit of his furnature and I always felt a desire to follow in his foot steps so here I am.

I have dabbled a litte here and there but nothing too serious or professional. I've never had the space, time or equipment to really challenge myself but I have been very passionate about wanting to make a start and after seeing a few recommendations in this forum I have signed up for a beginners course with Stuart Bywater (starting this Saturday).

I pick things up very quickly so I'm hoping I'll be able to get started relatively soon. I have a very basic knowledge of timber work and the tools and would love to learn more. Please feel free to share any useful webpages or information. In the meantime I'll continue to lurk here until I can show off my first project.

Denim

Ad de Crom
23rd July 2008, 01:07 AM
Hi Denim, welcome on board, good luck with picking up woodworking.
Ad :)

wheelinround
23rd July 2008, 09:01 AM
Hi Denim welcome picking up woodwork :rolleyes: now to do woodwork it take tools so it wont be long before your picking up tools also :D Just make sure they don't belong to others:p Unless offered.

Ray

artme
23rd July 2008, 01:26 PM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:Welcome aboard the fun train Denim.

Where abouts in Bris.?

diana
23rd July 2008, 02:11 PM
Hi
Welcome I am a new member, and this is the best forum I have had the pleasure of joining, so helpful and friendly. I also joined our local wood working club, but they tend to be purists in that they use hand tools mostly. I on the other hand want to use my machine tools as it fits into my love of Norms work on the New Yankee workshop. So here I can find some great advice.
Love tool shopping, better than a new dress any day.

Gra
23rd July 2008, 02:35 PM
Welcome aboard Diana,

I assume you joined the Manningham, there are a couple of members of that club on the board.

diana
23rd July 2008, 03:00 PM
I have joined the Melbourne Fine Woodworking club in Box Hill. Are there any members in this forum?
Hope so would like to know if I can use the jointer and thicknesser for some timber I have purchased. Maybe should just phone them up and find out.
Did not know there was a club in Manningham until I saw it when I searched for Box making classes. Waiting on the website for them to post when the next classes start.

jerryc
23rd July 2008, 06:23 PM
Welcome aboard Denim. If you've been lurking you won't need me to tell you how muchj you can learn here.

Jerry

nool
23rd July 2008, 07:08 PM
Welcome Denim and Diana.
I, too, am a recent additon to this most auspicious forum and have been lurking for a bit checking out the wealth of wisdom and information contained within this tome. I was wondering if anyone new of any woodworking clubs or groups or moots around where I am? All I can find are things involved with appreticeships (which involve too much time).

munruben
23rd July 2008, 07:36 PM
Welcome Denim. :2tsup:

wheelinround
24th July 2008, 10:28 AM
Welcome Denim and Diana.
I, too, am a recent additon to this most auspicious forum and have been lurking for a bit checking out the wealth of wisdom and information contained within this tome. I was wondering if anyone new of any woodworking clubs or groups or moots around where I am? All I can find are things involved with appreticeships (which involve too much time).

:2tsup: I know Kiama has one listed here http://www.vwa.org.au/list_wclubnsw.htm

and just found this Illawarra Woodworkers Group
Jan 2007 PO Box 121 CORRIMAL NSW 2518 Tel: (02) 4271 8182

Yonnee
24th July 2008, 11:48 AM
Welcome Denim,

You'd be interested in our Metalwork section too. :2tsup:

nool
24th July 2008, 03:16 PM
Hooray!

Thanks Wheelinround. I'll give the Corrimal one a call seeing it's only 10 mins up the road. Kiama is a great place but a bit too far.

thanks again

nool

Denim
2nd August 2008, 01:50 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:Welcome aboard the fun train Denim.

Where abouts in Bris.?

Thanks everyone. I'm over at Aspley. Used to live on the southside but moved to the north a few years back.