PDA

View Full Version : Quilters stand

Wild Dingo
23rd July 2008, 12:37 PM
Okay this is what will probably be the last thing I make for my wife before its all said and done... so since shes insanely into quilting :roll: I decided to make a quilt stand using an old stand of somesort from her grandmothers estate but all that was salvagable was the uprights the whole unit comes apart for moving and has handles to move about... Jarrah feet timber curtain rails 1 1/2in for the top and 1in for the bottom the top panels for the hooks are Pine floorboards and the hooks Jarrah... it actually needs some cross members from one upright to the other for the larger quilts but since I dont give a damn anymore its done... I guess if at sometime down the track it falls over I might make them but for now Im about to take it to her place and give her an early birthday present and thats that

Anyway

1) In the shed just finished
2) Top right hand hooks
3) Top left hand hooks
4) With a newly finished Queen sized quilt hanging

Yeah sadly I didnt figure on the large sized quilts just went for doubles singles and baby ones :doh: but if I had then SHE would never be able to hang them anyways!

Anyway there you go... like most things she wont appreciate it but I thought you fellas might :2tsup:

Cheers
Shane

Next thing I make Im making for ME!! :2tsup: ahem if I have any tools left that is :doh: :D

Ozkaban
23rd July 2008, 02:26 PM
Nice quilt rack - and nice quilt too!!!

I made a couple of quilt hangers for my wife - pretty basic ones, but they're quite a fun project to do!

BTW, I noticed the photos were named 'mini-daddys camera...' Interesting naming! Sounds like there's a story behind it!

Cheers,
Dave

Wild Dingo
23rd July 2008, 05:54 PM
:U:U Called a madcapped zany 14 and a half year old daughter :U generally calls the pic folders daddys daddyohs dada dopeydad dopedaddy etc etc etc... causes no end of hassles when Im trying to find particular pics I can tell you!! :doh:

Yeah this was pretty simple... two 2x2 uprights 6ft 2in high attached with tenons to 18in x 4in x 5in Jarrah feet (shaped steps) giving an overall height of 6ft 7in high... width is 6ft... simple easy and done :2tsup:

artme
23rd July 2008, 07:51 PM
Good one WD:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
23rd July 2008, 08:53 PM
:2tsup: Nice parting gift WD sheds looking bareish

Wild Dingo
24th July 2008, 01:07 AM
:2tsup: Nice parting gift WD sheds looking bareish

Strewth mate yer just gotta have a go eh? :C Well Ive now got more room to swing the neighbors cat than Ive ever had I think... Well sorta... a bit more anyways!!

The sheds a 3 bay 9x6 thing which should have been 15x 9 but didnt grow legs as expected... behind the bandsaw is one bay in which the big lathe hangs out on the left with the two triton stands live alongside the linisher and spindle sander and the compressor against the wall... above them is the veneer storage area... next to the compressor is an ancient kitchen dresser I was thinking of renovating and still might that holds the wonderous ubeaut stuff I won awhile back and the router bits next to that is a whopping great upright cupboard that was destined for the tip but adopted my hand tools and some of the many drawings and books Ive gathered... to the right is one of the two 3mtr benches with some stray timber standing in the corner for some reason only they know... on that bench is the clamp racks a sand paper storage and bits and peices from the hand power tools most of which I have no idea which bit goes with which tool now... ohh!! and between the bench and the bandsaw is the Ozito sliding compound saw which I use like a demented chook on steroids when the mood hits... thats ONE bay mate

The middle bay is the main entrance you walk straight into 4 scaffold stands whereon rests the framework for the new subframe of the camper still to be welded upon which rests a sheet of 1/4in ply thus creating a bloody large waist high bench which stands about 2 foot from another bench which was hers until I nicked it as she couldnt or wouldnt use it as it was intended for her sewing machine so it became another workbench in the shed... upon which resides the axle springs hubs of the soon to be fabricated subframe... this bench rests up against part of the second 3mtr bench upon which resides a few of the very few hand tools I have and is the main "work" bench area set up with router mats and such next to which live me chisels and mallets... so thats the centre bay

To the right is the third and final bay... which houses the remainder of that 3mtr bench upon which resides the large glue bottles grinders and bench drill press drill bits containers of screws nails hinges and whatever the hell else resides there! to the right of that is the second doorway and in front of that resides the double dusty along side which resides the 15in thicknesser alongside which resides the two lawnmowers, edger, mulcher and the chainsaw along with a mob of bits and peices I have no recall what or who they are they just exist there :roll: to the right of which resides the OLD table saw that I MUST try to drag out of the corner and clean up (A LOT) install a new blade side wings and fence along with a lump of concrete of the motor to keep the damned belts taut when in use... then next to that is the last bench I made an WIP of which I think as I recall I posted here somewhere which is my main mess work area.. I do like that workbench... next to which is the entrance door in the middle bay

Outside the side door is another workbench that was my hand made Tuart bench back in Mandurah which now holds all things stainless steel boat related that Ive sorta managed to adopt from wherever Ive met them... to the side is a mess of steel I also seem to have adopted from somewhere or other... out at the entrance door theres another bench that has become ONE of my many wood storage racks

And thats the shed... now to the left of the shed is where the trailer lives and along side that is... another bench!! covered grossly with bits of timber that have somehow managed to drag themselves there from wherever... along side that is a stack of Tuart along side that is my main stack of planked timbers... whew we havin fun yet!! :;

Okay so back to the entrance... to the right of the shed theres the steel that leads back to the Tuart bench that backs onto the 40ft sea tainer which has resting against it an OLD fibreglass dinghy that is about to succumb to the rambling bramble thats gotten totally out of control from next door (of course theres only the damned root an main stems on his property the rest is on MINE!! :~ ) okay so turn a 1/2 turn to the right and you face the huge stack of tree trunks from the trees I have had cut down... turn again a half turn and you find yourself facing an old dry of fruit pear tree against which rests two OLD wooden boats that have rapidly succumbed to rot and abuse of the weather and behind that is the poxy creek which has by the way broken its banks AGAIN and is now up to the lower driveway... ala not far from the house!

WHICH brings me to that particular issue... now given theres been a shyteload of rain here and theres more on the way Im sorta hoping that there will be maybe a good wind in there too sorta blow the damned trees near the house ONTO the house would be nice :;

Anyway I suppose yous blokes want pics of all that now eh? :doh:

Cheers
Shane

wheelinround
24th July 2008, 11:20 AM
anyway I suppose yous blokes want pics of all that now eh? :doh:

Well being that you have nothing better to do :p Nah who'd want to see a bare shed:roll:

Harry72
24th July 2008, 10:16 PM
Looks good Ding.